Fox 19: Plaintiffs land key victory in suit against Kings Island owner over 2020 season passes

BoddaH1994

The problem is that this would be like the classic bank run situation like what was prominent in "It's a Wonderful Life".  Your money in a bank isn't just sitting there - it is used to give people loans, invest, that sort of thing.  And if everyone tries to cash out their account at the same time, a bank will default as that cash isn't there for every account.  Bank runs usually start when depositors worry the bank might fail. Depositors rush to withdraw money before the bank shuts down; the bank exhausts its cash reserves; and the bank then liquidates assets and calls in loans to find more money. If the bank can't sell enough assets to cover the withdrawals, it may have to close. Banks that do cover the run often end up financially crippled from selling assets cheap to raise money.

CF had already allocated and spent the money and likely wouldn't have had the cash reserve to give back a lot of refunds.  And we can just look at the stock market how it can go up or down just based on one tweet, so I am sure CF predicted that a large percentage of people would have requested a refund and that would have put them in even more financial dire straights.  Like the stock market, people get emotional and make rash decisions that may or may not be in their best interest. 

I know a lot of us in March and April 2020 didn't think the parks would re-open that year.  And yet they did and we got an extra year out of our pass.  Then you would have all the people complaining they got a refund at their October 2019 price in March 2020 and now have to pay July 2020 prices to buy a pass again because they want to go to the park but assumed in March that the park wouldn't open and wanted their money back.

Offering the next year free was their mechanism to weather the storm so that they could stand half a chance of not going bankrupt.

I know people that got refunds despite the no refund policy.  If someone could make a great case why they requested the refund it happened.  Of course they are not going to advertise that.

Probably most of the people wishing they could have got a refund ended up going to the park in 20 and 21.  The few that didn't could then make the case for a refund.

Hindset is always 20/20, and I bet looking back on it, they think they made the best decision in offering the next year free based on how well the parks have performed since.  I think we would be looking at a seriously different park had they offered refunds in March 2020 - I think too many people would have asked for the refund concerned that the park would either not open or would go bankrupt.

• Like 4

On 4/24/2022 at 12:43 PM, disco2000 said:

The problem is that this would be like the classic bank run situation like what was prominent in "It's a Wonderful Life".  Your money in a bank isn't just sitting there - it is used to give people loans, invest, that sort of thing.  And if everyone tries to cash out their account at the same time, a bank will default as that cash isn't there for every account.  Bank runs usually start when depositors worry the bank might fail. Depositors rush to withdraw money before the bank shuts down; the bank exhausts its cash reserves; and the bank then liquidates assets and calls in loans to find more money. If the bank can't sell enough assets to cover the withdrawals, it may have to close. Banks that do cover the run often end up financially crippled from selling assets cheap to raise money.

CF had already allocated and spent the money and likely wouldn't have had the cash reserve to give back a lot of refunds.  And we can just look at the stock market how it can go up or down just based on one tweet, so I am sure CF predicted that a large percentage of people would have requested a refund and that would have put them in even more financial dire straights.  Like the stock market, people get emotional and make rash decisions that may or may not be in their best interest. 

I know a lot of us in March and April 2020 didn't think the parks would re-open that year.  And yet they did and we got an extra year out of our pass.  Then you would have all the people complaining they got a refund at their October 2019 price in March 2020 and now have to pay July 2020 prices to buy a pass again because they want to go to the park but assumed in March that the park wouldn't open and wanted their money back.

Offering the next year free was their mechanism to weather the storm so that they could stand half a chance of not going bankrupt.

I know people that got refunds despite the no refund policy.  If someone could make a great case why they requested the refund it happened.  Of course they are not going to advertise that.

Probably most of the people wishing they could have got a refund ended up going to the park in 20 and 21.  The few that didn't could then make the case for a refund.

Hindset is always 20/20, and I bet looking back on it, they think they made the best decision in offering the next year free based on how well the parks have performed since.  I think we would be looking at a seriously different park had they offered refunds in March 2020 - I think too many people would have asked for the refund concerned that the park would either not open or would go bankrupt.

You are right.   Many people would have wanted refunds in March/April.   That’s the same reason the stock market crashed during those moths.  Uncertainty. 

But some parks did open in July and the situation was looking better by then.   Refunds beginning then would have been appropriate. 

If a business is failing though it doesn’t give them the ethical right to keep prepayments  IMO.    

In a bankruptcy proceeding, season pass holders would legally be the last ones to get any money back as all others owed money get first dibs at the money. I still believe CF and the majority of season pass holders came out better than wholesale refunds.

Purchasing something not valid until the next year always carries an inherent risk.

As we saw with the season pass offering this past fall, people purchased in record numbers, so obviously enough people have trust in that that park would open this year and if not then they trusted CF would make them whole.

Those demanding a refund are in the minority.  If they were the majority, then they wouldn't have taken advantage of the fall sale and would have waited until now when the park opened...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

We need no give Cedar Fair the benefit of the doubt.  They can do no wrong.  SEAS however did give our family a 2000$ plus refund in 2020 however.

We had booked discovery cove and a Florida parks ticket package.  They were still opened but with limited capacity like all other parks.  Emailed them since Iron Gwazi wasn't going to open and they happily refunded us no questions asked.  First of June we are picking up out platinum passes from sea world San Diego and have already booked discovery cove for when we go down for ice breaker and iron gwazi.  I am thankful they took care of us.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 10:24 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

A little unreasonable considering we got 2021 for free. 

You do have to consider that the Delta variant dominated 2021. Those with suppressed immune systems for example would have had theoretically to risk their well being just to take advantage of the opportunity. It's a complex issue.

This is one case I stand behind CF 100%.

All businesses suffered during the pandemic & had to make difficult decisions to try and keep customers and investors both happy and stay in business while not slitting their throats by giving too much away.  It was a tremendously slippery slope.

For CF to extend season passes for an entire year is really going above & beyond what should be expected and any passholder should know that true value.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

I think for this particular instance, the Supreme Court made the right decision. The parks could not open. They didn’t choose not to. 

Selfishly, it is most of our best interests for the lawsuit to fail. More cash in FUN’s hands may lead to more and better investment. This would certainly have hindered that. I know that we are the ultimate special interest group, but for most of us, this is a good thing. 

• Like 3

Totally agree. The chain acted in very good faith by extending the pass to another season. The passholder ended up with the better end of the deal at the end of it all.

The court says:

"We conclude that Cedar Fair's delay in opening its parks to season-pass holders does not, by itself, establish a claim for breach of contract or for unjust enrichment," wrote Justice Sharon Kennedy for the court's opinion.

The Supreme Court went onto explain that even if Cedar Fair's amusement parks regularly run from May through October, that doesn't mean that they are contractually bound to open in May 2020.

Per the terms of the Gold Pass, "all operating dates and hours are subject to change without notice. All rides and attractions are subject to closings and cancellations for weather or other conditions."

From this article: https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/warren-county/mason/kings-island-customers-not-owed-refunds-for-months-closed-due-to-covid-pandemic-ohio-supreme-court-rules?_amp=true

• Like 1

12 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Yep, this should have never got that far.  Would hate to hear how much CF spent on this.

Totally agree, for the overwhelming majority, passholders got a great deal out of this and certainly more than they legally would have been required to do given the Terms and Conditions.

Agree it should have never got that far.  Clearly what CF did was above and beyond with giving an extra year.  Talking about what CF spent don't forget what the plaintiffs spent.  As I've said before I'm pretty sure CF has attorneys on the payroll.  Either way once again the only real winners are the lawyers.  I've always stated the only way to fix our legal system is having an automatic counter suit against the plaintiffs for 1/2 of what they are asking for from the defendants.  Would stop a lot of fraudulent and pro-bono lawsuits that clog up our system.

• Like 1