Blog: The aviation pioneer that invented Kings Island's Monster

BoddaH1994

So here’s what’s weird:

Kings Island’s Monster model debuted at Coney Island during the 1968 season and made the move to Kings Island for the park’s inaugural 1972 season. 

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2020/april/the-aviation-pioneer-that-invented-kings-islands-monster

And the Tweet:

993A04BE-EAD2-4474-8448-8D76B807A7DE.jpeg

https://twitter.com/chadshowalter/status/1516803964469137408?s=21&t=3n1tzEHecLU5BaylHaNnSA

So which is it? 1968 or 1969? Both the Tweet and the Blog are from the same author…

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, super7 said:

I am shocked that this great ride is still there.  Kings Dominion, Carowinds and Canadas Wonderland all removed theirs under KECO or Paramount 

Cedar Fair though has kept them at several parks.  

My understanding is that removal of Monster was imminent a few years ago. In fact, I understand they had penciled in plans of making that area an outdoor seating area for Subway upon the next big breakdown. Fortunately, when another park closed theirs they were able to cannibalize the parts and keep the ride alive. 

Then again, maybe they couldn’t find a drive belt for a 1969 Eyelry Monster, only to find out that they, in fact, had the ‘68 model which was easier to get parts for. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Holiday World had an Eyerly Spider ride, located in the present location of the Star Spangled Carousel.  It was removed due to the age of the ride and lack of available parts.

I am thrilled the ride is still at the park. The one thing that Monster has detrimental to it potentially staying beyond replacement parts, is capacity is not high, as they can only load two of the rides six arms at a time.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 9:20 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

My understanding is that removal of Monster was imminent a few years ago. In fact, I understand they had penciled in plans of making that area an outdoor seating area for Subway upon the next big breakdown. Fortunately, when another park closed theirs they were able to cannibalize the parts and keep the ride alive. 

Then again, maybe they couldn’t find a drive belt for a 1969 Eyelry Monster, only to find out that they, in fact, had the ‘68 model which was easier to get parts for. :rolleyes:

ugh, could you imagine getting rid of anything for Subway seating?

• Like 3

Monster is absolutely one of my most favorite flat rides. I’m always a little nervous with each new season that there will be sad news of its departure. And I realize that day is inevitable. But I always try to grab a ride on it when I can and enjoy it while we still have it. It’s such a fascinating ride to watch operate too. So many crazy moving parts. 

• Like 3