Orion accident

coaster sally

Good lord, today was not a good day for Kings Island.

Invertigo valleyed in the morning, Beasts down until May, upwards of 5 coasters being down for issues with 3 being persistently during operating hours (not good for the other lines!), Diamondback queue nearly overflowing, 3+ hours for FoF, FLP line for FoF spilling under racer, now the Orion collision, and to top it all off, some rumors that fights broke out around 10pm. 

EDIT: They are no longer rumors, police and EMT are on scene.

This is going to affect a lot of things. Hope we hear something from the park.

UPDATE: It is hard to say whether or not Orion actually collided, but it was rather close. It was running one train the following day, on Sunday, and started testing with three earlier this week. It may re-open with two or more trains this Friday, but don't be surprised if it's just one or even closed.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, Coasterteam said:

Invertigo valleyed in the morning, Beasts down until May, upwards of 5 coasters being down for issues with 3 being persistently during operating hours (not good for the other lines!), Diamondback queue nearly overflowing, 3+ hours for FoF, FLP line for FoF spilling under racer, now the Orion collision, and to top it all off, some rumors that fights broke out around 10pm. 

I haven’t heard anything about fights, but what those “fights” you are hearing might be is actually a reported altercation at Camp Cedar. Not a good night at all. The first few weeks seem to be tough.

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I haven’t heard anything about fights, but what those “fights” you are hearing might be is actually a reported stabbing at Camp Cedar. Not a good night at all. While park operations were BAD today, they are nothing compared to a stabbing.

Today was just not a great day for the park PR wise, that's one thing. Bad ops/maintenance issues are expected and normal, especially this early in the season. 

Roller Coaster collisions and these attacks are not normal and are going to be on the news. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

For being the second weekend of operations, the operations were much worse than opening weekend in terms of ride downtime.

Agreed. At one point in the day, almost all of Action Zone was down (and Area 72 was closed due to Orion and FoF being down; only Meteor Canteen was open). Despite this, I still had a great time.

EDIT: They are no longer rumors, police and EMT are on scene.

Also the stabbing at Camp Cedar. Oh and I had to report 4 teens jumping the fence into the maintenance department next to HR. Geez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Sounds like multiple stabbings.  https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/violent-incident-at-king-islands-camp-cedar-sends-several-to-hospital

Even though Cedar Fair is not a management partner of camp cedar, the park advertises like it does so it's hard for the gp to differentiate it from Kings Island.

I glad we have a strong pr department, hopefully there may be a statement by Coasterstock .

Screenshot_20220424-104229_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Yesterday was rough for sure. My girlfriend and I decided to go for a little bit later in the day and it was crazy how many things were down when we got there around 5PM. People were line jumping like crazy. The whole park just felt like it was in disarray. I’m not angry with the park at all as it’s still early in the season, but I was upset with guest behavior. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Sounds like multiple stabbings.  https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/violent-incident-at-king-islands-camp-cedar-sends-several-to-hospital

Even though Cedar Fair is not a management partner of camp cedar, the park advertises like it does so it's hard for the gp to differentiate it from Kings Island.

I glad we have a strong pr department, hopefully there may be a statement by Coasterstock .

Screenshot_20220424-104229_Chrome.jpg

I think multiple people were stabbed, but only one was transported to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries. I get this from other news articles. I am glad it wasn’t any worse.

https://www.wlwt.com/amp/article/kings-island-camp-cedar-stabbing-investigation-warren-county-sheriffs-office/39805808

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

It sadness me to hear that Orion the best coaster in the park may not open for a very long time.

I wonder why Orion is down so much must be the computers having problems since Orion is run by all computers.

I hope Kings Island can get back on there feet soon. 

20 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I hate to say it, but Orion is very unreliable for a B&M or really for a coaster in general. It has been open for almost two years now, and it is still very unreliable. It is down way more than Diamondback and Banshee and most other coasters at Kings Island.

Not really a surprise given Banshee and Diamondback are programmed by Consign, while Valravn and Orion were done by Altec. 

Now both Valravn and Orion have had similar incidents...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Coasterteam said:

Not really a surprise given Banshee and Diamondback are programmed by Consign, while Valravn and Orion were done by Altec. 

Now both Valravn and Orion have had similar incidents...

Cedar Fair should have stuck with Consign. I believe Consign did do Mystic Timbers’s programming and control system, but Orion would probably be a lot more reliable if Consign programmed it like they did Diamondback, Banshee, Fury 325, and Levitathan. At the end of the day, the only way for Orion to become more reliable might be a new control system which is not good for it being so new.

• Like 2

Overall it doesn't help Orion given that the power was out for most of the day in Area 72, like @MDMC01 said earlier in this thread.

My guess is it likely screwed up some sensors, which ultimately led to this happening. 

EDIT: To not double-post.

Looking at wait-times from the park, they've indicated that Orion is in fact open. I don't know if this confirms it's actually open as they've set Beast to open in the past couple operating days by accident for a brief period of time, so this may change. 

EDIT 2: I am wrong, it is indeed not operating. Ignore queue-times Open status.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Cedar Fair should have stuck with Consign. I believe Consign did do Mystic Timbers’s programming and control system, but Orion would probably be a lot more reliable if Consign programmed it like they did Diamondback, Banshee, Fury 325, and Levitathan. At the end of the day, the only way for Orion to become more reliable might be a new control system which is not good for it being so new.

Would that mess up Orion moving between new control systems so soon after opening?

7 minutes ago, Coasterteam said:

Overall it doesn't help Orion given that the power was out for most of the day in Area 72, like @MDMC01 said earlier in this thread.

My guess is it likely screwed up some sensors, which ultimately led to this happening. 

Based on Queue Times, it seems like Orion is operating today. I cannot confirm it actually is operating today, though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coasterteam said:

I can confirm that Orion is not operating right now, ignore the "Open" status on Queue Times.

Keep in mind, Queue-Times fetches data from the park itself, so it's as if you were looking at it through the mobile app.  

Queue Times is as accurate as the mobile app. The only problem is the mobile app is not very accurate.

14 minutes ago, Coasterteam said:

I can confirm that Orion is not operating right now, ignore the "Open" status on Queue Times.

Keep in mind, Queue-Times fetches data from the park itself, so it's as if you were looking at it through the mobile app.  

Confirmed from here too. I have a friend there and they also said that the park is communicating that it will be closed for the day. 

• Like 1