Orion accident

coaster sally

30 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

I highly doubt they will, if anything they will just state the ride is closed for inspection. KI doesn't seem to discuss or output news of this kind unless it is on main stream news. Twitter rarely responds to guests.

They respond when everything is going well.

• Like 1

I'm sure the park will have Orion back to multi-train ops as soon as they can. The fact that this happened early in the season is a good thing - the park is closed to the public the next 4 days so that gives them time to get the necessary people in to review everything and make any necessary adjustments/repairs.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Cedar Fair should have stuck with Consign. I believe Consign did do Mystic Timbers’s programming and control system, but Orion would probably be a lot more reliable if Consign programmed it like they did Diamondback, Banshee, Fury 325, and Levitathan. At the end of the day, the only way for Orion to become more reliable might be a new control system which is not good for it being so new.

Mystic's controls were done by Irvine Ondrey Engineering, who also does most of the new RMCs. I always thought that Valravn was done by Consign, and the collision is what prompted the move to Altec. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

It must be more minor than I thought if they're keeping it open with 1 train ops. 

The key difference is likely that no collision and no injuries took place, "only" an overrun of the station where there happened to be another train just beginning to climb the lift.  No collision, no injuries, no damage, if that's the case, then there's no real need to keep the ride closed, albeit limited to one train operations until the incident is better understood and mitigated.  Looks like the trains came close but never actually touched.  Could be wrong, of course.

• Like 5

I read on Facebook that there was no actual collision and that ride ops stopped the ride as soon as they realized what was happening. I have no idea if that statement was made by a ride op (in which case they could very well get fired for saying that) or someone who just happened to witness the incident.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeltaFlyer said:

Mystic's controls were done by Irvine Ondrey Engineering, who also does most of the new RMCs. I always thought that Valravn was done by Consign, and the collision is what prompted the move to Altec. 

I do believe Valravn’s controls were done by Consign. I think you are correct in that Irvine Ondrey did the controls for Mystic Timbers, but I think Consign did the controls for other GCI’s.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Oldiesmann said:

I read on Facebook that there was no actual collision and that ride ops stopped the ride as soon as they realized what was happening. I have no idea if that statement was made by a ride op (in which case they could very well get fired for saying that) or someone who just happened to witness the incident.

All available evidence points that way, including an apparent lack of anyone complaining of injuries (and you bet the media would eat that up).

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Oldiesmann said:

Just as bad (operationally) just a little more lucky than if they had collided. Thank God there appears to not be any damage, and more importantly it appears that no one was hurt. 

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

Imagine the throughput...

Imagine continuing to run the ride with multiple trains without knowing why the station overrun occurred and taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen again, then someone gets hurt.

It's a given at this point that the park will need to err on the side of caution with regards to Orion for some time, even after they get this issue understood and learn from it.

2 hours ago, jsus said:

Imagine continuing to run the ride with multiple trains without knowing why the station overrun occurred and taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen again, then someone gets hurt.

It's a given at this point that the park will need to err on the side of caution with regards to Orion for some time, even after they get this issue understood and learn from it.

I still feel that with even one train there is a chance for a problematic malfunction. The ride is either in working order or it isn't. I'd imagine the last thing Cedar Fair needs right now is their new flagship coaster being stuck on the lift hill right after a near miss.

1 hour ago, mikejenkins1 said:

I was waiting in line for it to open that day and found it odd they were sending trains up the hill before the train on track was in the final break run....

That is pretty normal operation. If something were to happen the train will stop on the lift hill. With Orion not having a mid course block section they want the next train going up the lift hill asap and ready to drop as soon as the train in front clears the final brake run. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mikejenkins1 said:

I was waiting in line for it to open that day and found it odd they were sending trains up the hill before the train on track was in the final break run....

Pretty sure you are describing the block testing they do last before opening the ride to guests. Did the train stop at the top of the lift hill as well?

• Like 2

Usually the media posts about things like this, ignoring standard safety protocols.  (Riders stuck for 30 minutes after roller coaster breaks down and they had to be plucked out of their seats-when it was a normal safety sensor tripping).  This was not a normal safety response.  Nonetheless, it seems like this is something that only the coaster enthusiast community is discussing--and often blowing out of proportion.  (A KD fan was saying that Orion trains "slammed" into each other).

I'm just glad it was minor and no one was hurt.  No piece of the ride came flying off to seriously injure someone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Usually the media posts about things like this, ignoring standard safety protocols.  (Riders stuck for 30 minutes after roller coaster breaks down and they had to be plucked out of their seats-when it was a normal safety sensor tripping).  This was not a normal safety response.  Nonetheless, it seems like this is something that only the coaster enthusiast community is discussing--and often blowing out of proportion.  (A KD fan was saying that Orion trains "slammed" into each other).

I'm just glad it was minor and no one was hurt.  No piece of the ride came flying off to seriously injure someone.

So you can confirm the train’s collided?

No,  car on track was finishing up and made it to break run.    Just had not seen this before.

Strange. Almost every time I've been on Orion, our train has left the station before the train before us clears the first block on the long brake run. That's also why Orion has the variable speed lift. If you'll notice, the lift goes much faster after the train has cleared that block, just like Beast.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

How long are we thinking until Orion opens back up normally if the trains collided?

Hard to say. Might be as early as next weekend. Sometimes these things take time. We are hoping that since the park is closed for a few days that they will have the time to work on it and have it ready. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, KIEagle33 said:

Not sure if someone said this before me, but earlier in the day before the Orion incident I was heading over to get on MT, and noticed that the train was stuck right before it went into the shed. Add that to the list. 

Sounds like Kings Islands rides are struggling right now, what was Diamondback down for Saturday?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orion742 said:

Sounds like Kings Islands rides are struggling right now, what was Diamondback down for Saturday?

Many rides like Diamondback go down for minor things all the time. Diamondback wasn’t down long, so I assume whatever issues it was having were fixed quickly by maintenance.

• Like 2