Orion accident

coaster sally

1 hour ago, Coasterteam said:

Moreso Consign, they did Banshee and Diamondback! B&M only recently started contracting Altec as their primary controls engineers, which is what Orion has. 

Is it possible that Cedar Fair could switch to Consign on Orion? It would probably take away some trust from the GP.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

Help us IOE, you’re our only hope. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does IOE stand for?

Also, that is great news that Orion is testing with three trains! Looking forward to getting some laps on it Friday! B)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

Let us know this weekend if they are successfully able to run 2-3 trains at the 50th celebration.

Don’t worry. Friday is the park’s historic 50th birthday with guest speakers, special entertainment, and and a commemorative fireworks show… still, everyone on this forum will be far more concerned with how many trains Orion is running. 

:P

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Don’t worry. Friday is the park’s historic 50th birthday with guest speakers, special entertainment, and and a commemorative fireworks show… still, everyone on this forum will be far more concerned with how many trains Orion is running. 

:P

We'll be more concerned with whether the 50th cake is chocolate or vanilla. 

• Haha 6

IOE did the controls for Lightning Run at KK.  no one got a picture of it so it is all hearsay but I worked there at the time.  When it first opened, the transfer track area used only friction wheels to stop and start a train waiting to enter the station.  When it was first opening the head of maintenance was discussing with the ride’s manufacturer his concern for the need of at least 1 skid break in the transfer area.  Long story short, it was a very hot day (running quite fast) and a sudden downpour came across the park while LR had two trains running and one actively on the course when the storm started.  The purple train came around the u turn towards the transfer area, the friction wheels stopped but the train did not.  The purple train had a low speed collision with the back of the green train and both trains did have damage.  The purple trains front decorative piece was cracked and broken and one of the controls of the restraints on the back of the green train were damaged from the impact.  The green train was able to be repaired quicker and placed back into service.  The purple train at least directly after the accident had a noticeable color difference on parts of the front car from the repair.  A pinch break was added to the transfer area after this.  

19 hours ago, Coasterteam said:

Moreso Consign, they did Banshee and Diamondback! B&M only recently started contracting Altec as their primary controls engineers, which is what Orion has. 

So Is Orion the only B&M coaster that the trains are run by Altec? I know Candymonuim at Hersheypark opened the same year, are they both Altec?

On 4/23/2022 at 11:49 PM, Coasterteam said:

Good lord, today was not a good day for Kings Island.

Invertigo valleyed in the morning, Beasts down until May, upwards of 5 coasters being down for issues with 3 being persistently during operating hours (not good for the other lines!), Diamondback queue nearly overflowing, 3+ hours for FoF, FLP line for FoF spilling under racer, now the Orion collision, and to top it all off, some rumors that fights broke out around 10pm. 

EDIT: They are no longer rumors, police and EMT are on scene.

This is going to affect a lot of things. Hope we hear something from the park.

This is terrible.

A ride COLLIDING...really?!  Was anyone hurt? Are people ok?

People STUCK on a ride... why did this happen?

Long ride times. (3 hours?)

I keep hearing that Kings Island has "amazing operations" - I'm not sure what to expect now based on these reports.

If there's line jumping & a sense that the park is "in disarray" - that's concerning... I would think that last year's brawls at the Park would have been an opportunity for them to create a plan to respond to bad behavior. Guests should face the consequences for their own bad decisions... the Park should be able to deal with this at a moment's notice. Not looking back, but starting fresh THIS season. The whole off-season was a chance for them to think on this problem. Are they understaffed? 

My son and I visited later that day around 5pm or so with the plans on staying until close. But the lines were insane...the park was packed! So we opted to leave around 7:30 or so. Love the park. but the lines for everything including the Tower were long!

And, I saw more line jumping in one afternoon than I have ever seen since going to the park...big groups just jumping into the middle of a line. it was especially bad in Mystic Timbers que.  We both saw a ton of line jumping waiting the hour plus to ride. Both my son and I were getting very annoyed by it since the line was already so long. I'm a big guy ( 6'4" 230lbs), but I never feel comfortable confronting people who line jump and especially in  big groups doing it like last Saturday. I'm hoping KI has a plan to deal with this, cause it's only a matter of time someone is going to get mad and it escalates from there if it keeps happening like it did that day.

1 hour ago, jbeast said:

My son and I visited later that day around 5pm or so with the plans on staying until close. But the lines were insane...the park was packed! So we opted to leave around 7:30 or so. Love the park. but the lines for everything including the Tower were long!

And, I saw more line jumping in one afternoon than I have ever seen since going to the park...big groups just jumping into the middle of a line. it was especially bad in Mystic Timbers que.  We both saw a ton of line jumping waiting the hour plus to ride. Both my son and I were getting very annoyed by it since the line was already so long. I'm a big guy ( 6'4" 230lbs), but I never feel comfortable confronting people who line jump and especially in  big groups doing it like last Saturday. I'm hoping KI has a plan to deal with this, cause it's only a matter of time someone is going to get mad and it escalates from there if it keeps happening like it did that day.

Just FYI there is a security number you can text when you see line jumpers - 513-434-6337

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MeredithGrey said:

This is terrible.

People STUCK on a ride... why did this happen?

Long ride times. (3 hours?)

I keep hearing that Kings Island has "amazing operations" - I'm not sure what to expect now based on these reports.

If there's line jumping & a sense that the park is "in disarray" - that's concerning... I would think that last year's brawls at the Park would have been an opportunity for them to create a plan to respond to bad behavior. Guests should face the consequences for their own bad decisions... the Park should be able to deal with this at a moment's notice. Not looking back, but starting fresh THIS season. The whole off-season was a chance for them to think on this problem. Are they understaffed? 

I don't think any of the issues mentioned are related to the quality of ride operations and really it just sounded like a bad day with unrelated things happening coincidentally on the same day. 3 hour lines happen on Saturdays because those are the most crowded days. You won't see it on a high capacity ride but on a ride with limited capacity, like FoF, you certainly will. Doesn't matter how good the operations are.

Also, I expect there to be staffing shortages this early in the season when many of their seasonal works are still in school.

Security problems also seem to be their worst on Saturdays. My advice is to simply never go on Saturday. I haven't been to an amusement park on a Saturday in decades for many reasons.

2 hours ago, MeredithGrey said:

I want to say that my information is out of date, I'm not entirely sure if it actually collided or not, but it was rather close to colliding. Going to update my earlier posts in this thread to help clear up confusion. 

Either way, it was down for part of Sunday and resumed with one train operations later in the day. It was testing with three trains earlier this week. 

27 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

I don't think any of the issues mentioned are related to the quality of ride operations and really it just sounded like a bad day with unrelated things happening coincidentally on the same day. 3 hour lines happen on Saturdays because those are the most crowded days. 

Multiple rides were down periodically throughout the day, it just wasn't a good day overall. Hopefully it's better on the 29th and going forward.

27 minutes ago, Coasterteam said:

I want to say that my information is out of date, I'm not entirely sure if it actually collided or not, but it was rather close to colliding. Going to update my earlier posts in this thread to help clear up confusion. 

Either way, it was down for part of Sunday and resumed with one train operations later in the day. It was testing with three trains earlier this week. 

Multiple rides were down periodically throughout the day, it just wasn't a good day overall. Hopefully it's better on the 29th and going forward.

I agree, I think Kings Island just needs more time to get back to normal, they haven’t been open in a while, and lots of new workers probably just joined so they are getting adjusted to working there, I assume Orion is probably fine, it doesn’t sound like a ton of damage because of what I have heard lately, it will probably be running normally by when daily operations start, I assume

1 minute ago, disco2000 said:

One would think if they actually touched that they would not be testing 3 trains this week.  I would assume at a minimum they would have B&M look at it.

Or say something on their Website if the ride is closing for a long time.

20 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

Or say something on their Website if the ride is closing for a long time.

It was running on Sunday, so what is to say about it? A train overshot a bit, the operator's training kicked in and nothing really happened to anyone or anything. It sounds like all of the what-if's training worked.  If people could see from passing by that they were testing with 3 trains this week it sounds like they have resolved the issue. I have no reservations about getting on tomorrow if it is running 3 trains.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

It was running on Sunday, so what is to say about it? A train overshot a bit, the operator's training kicked in and nothing really happened to anyone or anything. It sounds like all of the what-if's training worked.  If people could see from passing by that they were testing with 3 trains this week it sounds like they have resolved the issue. I have no reservations about getting on tomorrow if it is running 3 trains.

I agree, I was saying IF something happened to Orion which it sounds like the Ride operator saw what was coming and nothing happened. Which is great news! Can’t wait to go and ride it soon.