Live Concerts Returning to the Timberwolf in 2022!!

BoddaH1994

One could also always marathon Action Zone rides to catch the concerts.  @electricsun now has incentive for doing Drop Tower marathons.

Also, if I recall, the park significantly empties during the concerts.  I know they're changing up how admissions work, but it's still a possibility for those days. 

• Haha 2

Very exciting stuff! Glad to see Timberwolf back and running again and not just for 3 days a year like in the past (even though that event isn't even planned). Like @BoddaH1994 said AZ is always fun when there is a concert in Timberwolf. All the times I've gone to the park during Spirit Song, AZ is always energetic and fun to hang out at before during or in between acts. That's where a lot of my memories of Chicken Shack are because when I would go with my old youth group in Indiana, we would spend a lot of our time at chicken shack. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, silver2005 said:

One could also always marathon Action Zone rides to catch the concerts.  @electricsun now has incentive for doing Drop Tower marathons.

Also, if I recall, the park significantly empties during the concerts.  I know they're changing up how admissions work, but it's still a possibility for those days. 

Or they have 12 opening acts such that the main acts don't start until after park close LOL.  I remember several concerts early 90s employing that technique (well not 12 opening acts LOL, but enough that the main concert was after park close).

5 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Or they have 12 opening acts such that the main acts don't start until after park close LOL.  I remember several concerts early 90s employing that technique (well not 12 opening acts LOL, but enough that the main concert was after park close).

The two years I attended Spirit Song, the main acts (like Skillet, Chris Tomlin, etc) went until past park close. I believe one of those years, the park stayed open past 10 bc we went and rode Diamondback after the main act ended that night.

I remember one concert I went to, the opening acts were done, so they played this for an hour (I still hear it in my head to this day LOL) until the park closed and then the main acts performed.  Or maybe the main acts were being divas LOL.  But in any event, several concerts I attended the main act did not hit the stage until park close.

After last year's "fun" on I Street, and the happenings at CC last weekend, I highly doubt M.P.D. will have much of a sense of humor over anyone being in the park or on property past 10 (at the latest), so I don't see that type of thing happening now.

EDIT to avoid a double post.... I had considered going to the Three Doors Down/Candlebox concert, but then I realized the music of theirs that I Loved came out well over 20 years ago and Im afraid "Far Behind" (my absolute favorite song of theirs) would sound like current day Vince Neil quality of singing and my memories would be forever sullied.

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

I remember one concert I went to, the opening acts were done, so they played this for an hour (I still hear it in my head to this day LOL) until the park closed and then the main acts performed.  Or maybe the main acts were being divas LOL.  But in any event, several concerts I attended the main act did not hit the stage until park close.

You sure they weren't just lost in transit?

For context: In 2012, when Luminosity began and Celebration ShowPlazaPlace opened, the park decided to see if Carly Rae Jepsen would call them, maybe.  So they arranged a concert hosted by a Cleveland radio station, WAKS.

The radio station had to stall for at least an hour past the expected start time because...  the talent simply hadn't arrived yet.  *shrug*

Press release: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/carly-rae-jepsen-to-perform-live-at-cedar-point-153793695.html

^Yeah anything is possible LOL.  Except one of the acts I had seen them as guests in the park an hour before the opening acts started.  And I recall at least 3 concerts where the main act was after park close.  

I think it was probably more diva behavior than intentional, but who really knows.

• Like 1

This is exciting news to finally see Timberwolf out to some good use rather than sitting idle.  Unless you have a season pass (or purchase a ticket) it appears you will not be able to enter the park when attending a concert.  It also appears they are trying to end the concerts before the music and fireworks on iSteeet at 10pm.  I see a massive traffic jam heading out of Timberwolf and the park at closing with these concert days.

Admission to Kings Island Amusement Park is NOT required to attend any of these concerts and is NOT included with the purchase of a concert ticket.

Admission to the park can be purchased here.

Yeah, I just re-read it - at first I thought the ticket would get you into the park after 5pm, but it is just free parking after 5pm and an exclusive entrance into Timberwolf.

Given the acts, I am assuming that they won't have opening acts, or maybe one and total concert could be over before park closes.

I guess time will tell!

The non park admission entrance to Timberwolf must be this new pathway that I saw from the tower that goes under Invertigo and connects to the pathway that goes under congo falls. I posted a sketch of it in another thread while back.

image.png

It'll also be interesting to see if they'll have concessions during these concerts in the theater area. The blog post does say something about them selling lager at the events. During Spirit Song people would bring food and drinks from the park into the concerts. Idk if that'll be allowed for these or not. Also, another question I have is restrooms. Will they have like porta potties or something set up in the Timberwolf area for those who need to use the restroom and don't have park admission. 

This is great news! I'm very interested in seeing Skillet! :D While I'm sure they won't be playing any of their older stuff (I love a lot of their older stuff, especially what I call their "Industrial Trilogy" of albums from 1998-2001), they always put on a great show!

And somehow I need a password to gain access to seeing how much tickets are?

Glad they are bringing in Skillet! A lot of people who usually go to Spirit Song will likely go to this as Skillet is usually one of the big headlining bands of the 3 day festival along with artists like For King and Country, Newsboys, TobyMac, etc. A theory I could have is Premier Festivals may still be working on things with how the future of these festivals may go. They haven't announced they are permanently discontinuing spirit song and those other events and one of the sister festivals to Spirit Song (Rock the Smokies at Dollywood) is back. Maybe the park knew people miss the event so they decided to get Skillet to do a concert at the park to sorta hold Spirit Song fans over for next year when it could make its big return. Just some thoughts. I know absolutely nothing about what's going on behind the scenes. 

56 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

This is great news! I'm very interested in seeing Skillet! :D While I'm sure they won't be playing any of their older stuff (I love a lot of their older stuff, especially what I call their "Industrial Trilogy" of albums from 1998-2001), they always put on a great show!

And somehow I need a password to gain access to seeing how much tickets are?

What I’m gathering is that the Gold Pass holders will receive some sort of communication with the presale password for Wednesday and Thursday, while the tickets go one sale to the public on Friday. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Even for those who do not attend the concerts, there is a certain special energy in AZ when the concerts are on. You can see the lights and hear the bands. It’s pretty cool!

To go along with this, during Spirit Song they would usually have some radio station tents and booths set up near Congo. I wonder if some of those booths and tents will be at these concerts specifically the Skillet one where maybe Star 93.3 sets up their tent. They usually set it up right by Congo near the entrance to Timberwolf and it features a photo wall and cool goodies. Imo it makes AZ have very nice energy before, during, and after the concerts. 

• Like 1