Kings Island Announces Concert Series at its Famous Timberwolf Amphitheatre

Celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2022, Kings Island today announced the return of live music to the Timberwolf Amphitheatre this season with a concert series lineup including The Avett Brothers, Berlin & A Flock Of
Seagulls, 3 Doors Down with special guest Candlebox, Skillet with special guest Jordan St. Cyr and Five for Fighting with special guest The Verve Pipe.

The 2022 Kings Island Concert Series at Timberwolf Amphitheatre presented by Platform Beer Company marks the most summer concerts at Timberwolf since 1995. For the first time, Kings Island will not require concertgoers to also purchase admission to the amusement park. Concert tickets will be available to the general public and will include free parking after 5 p.m. and an exclusive entrance to Timberwolf before each show begins. “Since Timberwolf opened in 1982, some of the most popular performers of our time have taken its stage,” said Mike Koontz, Kings Island vice president and general manager. “We are excited to bring that tradition back to Kings Island this summer.”

2022 Concert Series Lineup Information

The Avett Brothers - Tuesday, June 28 - Gates 7 p.m. | Music 8 p.m.

• American folk rock band The Avett Brothers made mainstream waves with their 2009 major label debut, I and Love and You, landing at No. 16 on the Billboard Top 200 and garnering critical acclaim. True Sadness (2016) achieved The Avett Brothers’ highest career debut to date hitting No. 1 on Billboard’s Top Albums Chart, No. 1 Top Rock Albums Chart, No. 1 Digital Albums Chart, No. 3 on Billboard Top 200 and scoring two GRAMMY® nominations.

Berlin & A Flock Of Seagulls - Saturday, July 9 - Gates 6 p.m. | Music 7 p.m.

• This Los Angeles-based synth pop group Berlin, founded by bassist John Crawford, singer Terri Nunn, and keyboard player David Diamond, topped the charts in 1986 with the single "Take My Breath Away," the love theme from the Tom Cruise movie Top Gun. A Flock Of Seagulls may well be known for their bizarrely teased haircuts as much as their hit single “I Ran.” A Flock of Seagulls were among the prime movers in the ‘80s new wave era.

3 Doors Down with special guest Candlebox - Friday, July 22 - Gates 6 p.m. | Music 7 p.m.

• Grammy Award®-nominated multi-platinum Mississippi rock band 3 Doors Down first found their own voice in 1995. It’s only gotten louder over the past two decades. Everything kicked off with their 2000 debut, The Better Life. The album went six-times platinum and introduced the world to their now-classic “Kryptonite.” Their fan base continued to grow with 2002’s triple-platinum Away from the Sun—which yielded the smashes “When I’m Gone” and “Here Without You.” Throw out any preconceived notions you may have about who Candlebox is. Wolves, the band’s seventh album which debuted this year at #7 on the Billboard Chart, is rife with brutal lyrical honesty and songs that run the gamut from dirty rock stompers to timeless, radio-ready pop-rock tunes. This multi-platinum selling band is best known for singles like “Far Behind,” “You” and “Cover Me.”

Skillet with special guest Jordan St. Cyr - Saturday, July 23 - Gates 6 p.m. | Music 7 p.m.

• Skillet is an American Christian rock band formed in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1996. The band currently consists of husband John Cooper and wife Korey Cooper along with Jen Ledger and Seth Morrison. The band has released eleven albums, two of which, Collide and Comatose, received Grammy nominations. It was when Jordan St. Cyr served with Youth With a Mission (YWAM) as a teen that he found the inspiration to pursue music as a career. Now in 2022, after releasing more music along the way, Jordan St. Cyr debuted his first full-length album with BEC Recordings. The self-titled ten-song project was released on March 4. 

Five for Fighting with special guest The Verve Pipe -  Saturday, August 20 - Gates 6 p.m. | Music 7 p.m.

• Proceeds from this concert will benefit A Kid Again (www.akidagain.org) John Ondrasik, the songwriter and performer known as the platinum-selling, Grammy-nominated, Five For Fighting, has penned major hits including the chart-topping “Superman (It’s Not Easy),” “100 Years,” “The Riddle,” “Chances,” “World” and “Easy Tonight,” which have earned tens of millions of streams and place him as a top-10 Hot Adult Contemporary artist for the 2000s. Five For Fighting's music has also been featured in more than 350 films, television shows, and commercials, including the Oscar-winning The Blind Side, Hawaii Five-O, The Sopranos and the CBS drama, Code Black. With a reputation for spectacular live performances, the multi-platinum alternative rock band The Verve Pipe are recognized worldwide for their radio hits “Photograph,”  “Hero,” “Happiness Is,” “Never Let You Down” and the No. 1 smash single “The Freshmen.”

Concert Ticket Information and Exclusive Pre-Sale for Kings Island Season Passholders

• Kings Island Gold and Platinum passholders will have access to an exclusive pre-sale for all shows beginning Wednesday, April 27 at 10 a.m. through Thursday, April 28 at 10 p.m. Season passes can be purchased on Kings Island’s website. Concert tickets will go on sale to the general public beginning Friday, April 29 at 10 a.m. at www.visitkingsisland.com. Free parking after 5 p.m. is included with the purchase of a concert ticket. VIP tickets are also available which includes a VIP Lounge. Ultimate VIP also includes side stage viewing and more exclusive benefits.

Platform Beer Creates “Happy Place” Golden Lager for Kings Island’s 50th Anniversary

• Platform Beer Company, located in Cleveland, Ohio and widely known for creative seasonal offerings and limited-edition taproom releases, collaborated with Kings Island to create a beer worth celebrating for all summer long in support of the new concert series for Kings Island’s 50th Anniversary. Fans can enjoy Happy Place, a sessionable Golden Lager. Happy Place pays tribute to a collision of old and new world hops. This brew is an easy-drinking lager with subtle notes of cereal, floral and soft spice. “We are proud to support the 2022 Kings Island Concert Series at Timberwolf Amphitheatre. It was important for us to create a beer that paid tribute to the nostalgic experience that Kings Island offers. The return of live music at Timberwolf Amphitheatre continues this tradition of memorable moments – now enjoyed with a delicious Golden Lager,” said Brittany Foster, Marketing Director for Platform Beer Co. Happy Place can be enjoyed at the park and in local community grocery and convenience stores near Kings Island.

About the Timberwolf Amphitheatre

• Timberwolf Amphitheatre is a 10,000 seat performance venue located at Kings Island amusement park. Originally opened in 1982, the 2022 concert series marks the most summer concerts at the venue since 1995. Kings Island admission is not included with concert tickets. For more information, go to visitkingsisland.com.
  • timberwolf-logo---blue.png
  • Like 4

I’m glad that there will be life breathed back into Timberwolf. I think it’s a unique setting to hold a concert in. 

The audiophile in me wonders if they did any upgrades to the audio system/boards/mixers during the off season in preparation for this concert series. 

19 hours ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

I’m glad that there will be life breathed back into Timberwolf. I think it’s a unique setting to hold a concert in. 

The audiophile in me wonders if they did any upgrades to the audio system/boards/mixers during the off season in preparation for this concert series. 

When looking at it on my rides up on DT this weekend, I don't think there is any audio gear there right now.  I hope that means new gear is being installed soon. :unsure:

7 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

When looking at it on my rides up on DT this weekend, I don't think there is any audio gear there right now.  I hope that means new gear is being installed soon. :unsure:

Typically major touring groups bring in all their own equipment, or is spec'd in the rider for the venue and then subbed out to a local rental group.  Using house equipment for road-shows just brings in too many unknowns.  All they need is a nice big power hookup and they take care of the rest.  

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I believe in the past, they didn't start putting up the audio/sound equipment there until like a week or so before the concerts began (or in that case the start of Spirit Song). 

14 minutes ago, Laura H said:

Anybody know anything about Spirit Song and if it will ever be back? 

There hasn't been any official announcement regarding Spirit Song, but tickets would be on sale if they were having it, so likely not this year. However, one of the sister events to Spirit Song that takes place at Dollywood ran by the same organizers is back so maybe they are seeing how it goes and they could bring it back next year. We'll just have to wait and see. 

4 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

They did the "Music in the Parks" event that utilized Timberwolf.  The gear may have been for that.