Jump to content

The Beast Retrack Work Reviews


Recommended Posts

The thing that really stood out to me: the brake shed definitely seemed to slow the train down less than pre-2022! The second tunnel was traversed much faster! And then the turn right after the tunnel actually had strong laterals!

 

Edit: will have to see in the future if it will be like this always or if it's just a fluke

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got off The Beast. I am more than impressed with the changes. Going into the first tunnel you actually feel laterals. And the Helix feels like you're going another 10 miles an hour smooth as butter with major laterals there as well. Awesome job Gravity Group.  They brought a new life to The Beast. Thank you KI! 

PXL_20220508_142050424.jpg

  • Like 13
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The hype is definitely real! While it’s not the trimless experience that we all hoped would happen. It’s definitely an upgrade and it seems to ride very smoothly regardless of which seat you’re in. For the record I was in the very back of the train on a wheel seat and experienced zero discomfort. Some might say that it takes the edge off the ride and maybe I agree slightly but it’s still to me a net gain for it to be so smooth.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been voluntold ( :P @IndyGuy4KI) to post. Umm...wow. I've always loved the little quirks of ride but the work was well worth the wait. It was really smooth, the laterals feel great, and the helix was perfection for me. I was bracing myself for the brakes in the brake shed but I agree with @The_Reaganator and it didn't feel as harsh or intense as before. I rode in row 13 and Indyguy4ki were in row 14. I'm now a bit tempting to ride again in a rear wheel seat to see just how much the ride has changed. 

As we were walking out the exit, a woman was telling another man that she is not a roller coaster person and get motion sickness but the ride was amazing. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sixflags82 said:

Do you get any airtime on the first drop now?

I didn't feel any air myself. I did not feel the extra degree or really any change on the first drop other than being more smooth.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't feel any air myself. I did not feel the extra degree or really any change on the first drop other than being more smooth.

I felt exactly the same. The steeper drop angle isn’t really all that noticeable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No one has mentioned the new magnetic double gate exiting the station. So much nicer than the bottleneck and manual release that stopped everyone previously. Exiting is very nice now. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

No one has mentioned the new magnetic double gate exiting the station. So much nicer than the bottleneck and manual release that stopped everyone previously. Exiting is very nice now. 

I believe The Beast also got a new controls system.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe The Beast also got a new controls system.

Some thing that might be related to that is I noticed that when the operators press the button to lock or unlock restraints you hear each individual car click in sequence as opposed to how it was last year where you hear two distinct clicks and buzzes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, New Horizons said:


Some thing that might be related to that is I noticed that when the operators press the button to lock or unlock restraints you hear each individual car click in sequence as opposed to how it was last year where you hear two distinct clicks and buzzes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed that as well, instead of the first half of the train and then the second half the train. It is a very quick sequential one car at a time front to back. It's actually kind of cool to hear.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I noticed that as well, instead of the first half of the train and then the second half the train. It is a very quick sequential one car at a time front to back. It's actually kind of cool to hear.

Sounds like it’s somewhat spooky! I wouldn’t be surprised if LOE took a shot at updating controls. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How does it compare to The Racer retrack (smoothness wise)? I won't be able to get to the park until late july and I am anxious to know how much smoother it got.  

I think racer is smoother but I think that has more to do with the track being completely straight and less forceful.You can still feel the trains on beast shuffle a bit while banking and the helix is still intense but it’s still butter smooth.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I noticed that as well, instead of the first half of the train and then the second half the train. It is a very quick sequential one car at a time front to back. It's actually kind of cool to hear.

I feel like the cycles were faster as a result of the change. Almost like the old system had an operational bottleneck that this improved. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, New Horizons said:


I think racer is smoother but I think that has more to do with the track being completely straight and less forceful.You can still feel the trains on beast shuffle a bit while banking and the helix is still intense but it’s still butter smooth.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Racer’s outward run is very smooth and has good airtime. However, the return trip that Gravity Group did not touch is still pretty rough. I wish Gravity Group would address the return trip because as of now, a lot of the general public considers The Racer to be a rough and uncomfortable ride.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Racer’s outward run is very smooth and has good airtime. However, the return trip that Gravity Group did not touch is still pretty rough. I wish Gravity Group would address the return trip because as of now, a lot of the general public considers The Racer to be a rough and rather uncomfortable ride.

Totally agree with you. Here is to KI completing the retracking for racer during the off season. Has the return section of track been painted ? If it has I’m skeptical they will retrack the rest of racer unfortunately


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, New Horizons said:


Totally agree with you. Here is to KI completing the retracking for racer during the off season. Has the return section of track been painted ? If it has I’m skeptical they will retrack the rest of racer unfortunately


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the entirely of The Racer has now been repainted or will soon be completed. I think The Racer could seriously be a top Kings Island coaster if the second half received the same re-profiling that the first half did. I REALLY hope Kings Island still re-profiles the second half for next year. It would make it WAY better than it is now.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

The Racer’s outward run is very smooth and has good airtime. However, the return trip that Gravity Group did not touch is still pretty rough. I wish Gravity Group would address the return trip because as of now, a lot of the general public considers The Racer to be a rough and uncomfortable ride.

It was sort of dollar foolish to spend money repainting track that needs replaced.     Even though The Racer paint job looks amazing, I fear future track replacement will not be painted. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

I enjoyed the bunny hill they added in front of the second tunnel and the increased sustained laterals


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh really they added a bunny hill? Wish they uploaded a new POV 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh really they added a bunny hill? Wish they uploaded a new POV 

I wouldn’t call it a bunny hill but you do get an interesting little pop going into the the concrete tunnel after the break shed. I’d have to ride again to even know exactly what that was as I was in the very back


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Coasterteam said:

Oh really they added a bunny hill? Wish they uploaded a new POV 

That is exciting! Do you get any air time on it? I assume pov video will be later this week after they see how today goes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, New Horizons said:


I wouldn’t call it a bunny hill but you do get an interesting little pop going into the the concrete tunnel after the break shed. I’d have to ride again to even know exactly what that was as I was in the very back


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either way, that's pretty interesting!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...