The Beast Retrack Work Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

1 hour ago, Oldschool75 said:

I enjoyed the bunny hill they added in front of the second tunnel and the increased sustained laterals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never thought to call it quite a bunny hill, but that little element was surprising and fun.

• Like 2

Definitely impressed with the work that they put into this classic. And it was so good to see the hype that still surrounds it after being a park staple for so many years. I enjoyed my ride today and can’t wait to get some night rights in the near future. 

• Like 3

So, I don't really know how to feel... I did like that the ride felt faster, however, I was expecting the helix to be a little more out of control than it was... I think the ride lost some of its bite!

That being said, some of the laterals I experienced did remind me of The Legend, which was cool. Another positive is that the new track itself looks aesthetically pleasing.

Final conclusion: While it is nice that Beast got rehabbed, I think I prefer pre-COVID Beast - out of control, but not so rough that the ride was unenjoyable. As a note, I did not got to the park in 2020, but last year, the ride was extremely rough!

A couple of my observations from today`s Beast ride.  As others have mentioned, I believe it got a new controls system.  I also believe with that comes the ability for them to lock or unlock the restraints on individual cars at a time now.  Good improvement so they don`t have to use nails on a particular row, but also don`t have to unlock the entire train.

Also, the chain did not slow down at the top of the first lift.  As others have mentioned, the portion of the ride past the brake shed seemed faster.  I think the fourth car got to the first egress point on the second lift before the lift caught the train.  Normally you get one, maybe into the second car before the lift catches.  The little dip down before entering the second tunnel was unexpected.  They also replaced the roof on a portion of the final brake run leading into the station.

All in all, the improvements made for a smooth ride, while also staying true to the original design of the ride.  Great job KI and Gravity Group!

• Like 5

Quick question.  Is the trim just after the first turn before the drop into the valley still on and as impactful?  I was hoping, foolishly perhaps, that they would eliminate that and let the train give a pop of air as it zoomed over and down into that drop.

• Like 1

Got another ride in, and again the first third of the ride is honestly not all that different, except that it is most certainly smoother - but I actually liked how brutal (and sorta intense) the section in the first tunnel and the first turn used to be. So the work done on this section of the ride has its upsides and downsides.

But holy moly, The Beast comes *ALIVE* in the middle third of the ride. so much speed, my side was hurting (in a good way) from how much I was getting pinned to the side wall of the train through the very intense turns with my hands up. It's the most fun The Beast has ever felt to me - excluding cool night rides or jovial rowdy rides with friends. 

It seemed to me that they enlarged the entrance to the helix tunnels, with the size of the tunnel gradually tapered to match with the dimensions of the old sections of the tunnel? It really did feel like the first helix tunnel was taller. 

Of course my idealistic dream version of The Beast would involve a number of other changes beyond what they just did, but if I may make a humble, modest request - they really should do *something* with the trains to improve them. I swear the seatback padding is thinner and worse than on almost all other PTC trains. At bare minimum, I would really like the seats to feel fluffy and cushiony like they are on the Holiday World woodies, for example. No wonder people got so much pain from The Beast and The Racer over the years.

In conclusion, I can't wait to ride The Beast many more times in its new and dazzling form!

• Like 1

My first ride today was in row 17, typically the last of the smoothest seats on the train.  It hauled butt today, I am fear that might be short lived.  More on that later.

We ascended the first lift hill at full pace because the other two trains were stacked in the brake run.  I felt like at the bottom of the first drop there was a small dip before slightly rising in the straight tunnel section, like we landed lower and corrected.  Maybe that was part of the plan, but it seem slightly odd.  The left turn after the first tunnel is spot on, correctly banked entering and exiting, clearly giving the train plenty of momentum.  We got a bit of air time dropping into the ravine due to this increase in speed, kinda felt like the early 80's :-)  The right right turn into the brake shed was better since it was redone but some shuffling took place since we were in the back and saw the rest of the train in front of us.  As in years past, the trains always flies through the brake shed only the be held back by trims to exit at a slower pace.  The trims are still present but not nearly as aggressive as the recent past.  Exiting the brake shed was quick and we scurried down a reprofled valley to the 2nd tunnel.  I was told that area was raised by 4 feet in places.  I have no proof of that statement but there is new track entering the 2nd tunnel and we got there quicker than we used to.  I did notice the little bunny hop or leveling out once we entered the 2nd tunnel.  Again, our pace was quick.  It did not let up.  36 people in classic PTC trains is a lot of momentum.  We existed the 2nd tunnel even louder and faster than before.  I was telling myself, we are going way too fast and this is original track we are abusing.  We made those 3 right turns and the metal on metal wheels were screaming.  I remember Don Helbig said a time or two at Coasterstock that the train hits the 2nd lift hill at 28mph.  We easily exceeded that today.  Much more of the train ascended the 2nd lift before the chain grabbed hold.  I was in disbelief how much we hauled ass.  Descending into the helix was just as intense.  The course was very smooth and very little if any shuffling, but watch out for the structure.  Exiting the first helix, if you are sitting in the left side inner circle, do not extend your arms out.  The black sheets of wood are quite close and coming in contact with them could be painful.  One of my favorite things about riding in the back is watching the rest of the train in front of me sprinting in the coordinated chaos as we leave the first helix and enter the 2nd tunnel.  There used to be this unique sound when exiting the 2nd tunnel of the helix probably due to track design that was absent today.

I got two rides today and I also noticed the individual release of each car.  I was told IOE supplied some new controls.  Again, no proof.  I did see lots of stacking.  A couple times all 3 trains were lined up.  Not sure what to say about that.  I did notice that it seemed the operator was still trying to find the right spot to unlock the train.  More than a couple times, the train came in, stopped, moved forward a couple inches, stopped, moved a few more inches, stopped, then released the riders.  I guess they need to tell the computer what spot to stop and release.  It will get worked out.

I am very happy with what they have done, but I fear the speed is going to create some wear and tear on the section between the 2nd tunnel and the 2nd lift.  We flew through that section with no changes in track or profiling.  I hope they can keep it in this configuration with no long term damage as a result.  For years the trims held back the pace to keep it intact, but the old track is seeing some crazy new g forces applied to it.  Long live The Beast!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PGalati said:

I am very happy with what they have done, but I fear the speed is going to create some wear and tear on the section between the 2nd tunnel and the 2nd lift.  We flew through that section with no changes in track or profiling.  I hope they can keep it in this configuration with no long term damage as a result.  For years the trims held back the pace to keep it intact, but the old track is seeing some crazy new g forces applied to it.  Long live The Beast!

Wouldn't be surprised if GG came back again to do work in that part of the ride. Relations are good. Would be funny if we got a ground-up extreme Gravity Group Woodie in The Vortex spot.

38 minutes ago, PGalati said:

I was told IOE supplied some new controls.  Again, no proof.  I did see lots of stacking.

An IOE electrical engineer confirmed they did updated controls. Like opening day, but for Beast. Ride Ops are getting a feel for the ride and will be back to pumping trains out over the next few days of operations. 

I love reading all these positive reviews, makes me even more hyped for Coasterstock!

16 hours ago, super7 said:

It was sort of dollar foolish to spend money repainting track that needs replaced.     Even though The Racer paint job looks amazing, I fear future track replacement will not be painted. 

If they were going to do more work on the return portion, but wanted the ride painted in time for the 50th, they could have always written that into the contract that the ride in its entirety would be painted for this year, and any sections planned to be retracked next off season will be painted/touched up.

Rode The Beast twice yesterday.  First in the tried and true "seat 17" and the second time in seat 2 (first time I had ridden in the front half of the train in 5 years, I am 52 after all :)).

The ride is definitely smoother without being "too smooth".  It still feels like a wood coaster and feels faster.  I think the best way to describe it is it doesn't loose speed like it used to.  I think that the back and forth "roughness" in the past made the trains loose speed.  In the past the train would climb up the second lift hill and stop around the first staircase on the right.  Both rides it went to halfway between the first and second staircase.  Definitely maintaining more speed in the second half.

As for the second hill.  Perfection! My next attempt is to ride on a non-middle car seat to see how it is.  

Thanks to KI for putting in the love the ride needed.  It was definitely worth the wait.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2022 at 6:27 PM, Orion742 said:

That is exciting! Do you get any air time on it? I assume pov video will be later this week after they see how today goes.

In the front seat you do. And yes, they consider it a bunny hill. That is where the 2 extra feet came from. 

On 5/8/2022 at 6:27 PM, Orion742 said:

I assume pov video will be later this week after they see how today goes.

Park stated on Twitter that they will be releasing a new POV around early summer, so I suspect mid to late May up to early June. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

In the front seat you do. And yes, they consider it a bunny hill. That is where the 2 extra feet came from. 

I always wished there was an extra bunny hill or two in the long brake shed.  When the trees are not full it is somewhat surprising to see how high you're actually off the ground.  Yes, I know it's not extremely high by any means. But for how long it is and off the ground, it just seems like a good place for something extra.  But I guess originally this brake zone was needed when they planned to run 4 trains . . maybe it still does.

• Like 1

I definitely noticed an improved ride.  The retracked bits felt more natural in movement, particularly the first drop and helix.  The pop before the 2nd tunnel is more of a curve shaping that Gravity Group and GCI use on transitions.  Not a deliberate bunny hill, but does have a small pop of air.  Should be real good when it breaks in.

• Like 2

I've only managed one ride. Front row. Took nearly 2 hours to get on. The line was reported as 120 minutes, but looked like a 60-70 minute line to me...but there was a technical delay once I got near the station. Almost like a prophecy from the park app.

Obviously the front tends to be smooth but it was still noticeably smoother especially in the helix. However, on my ride, after the first tunnel for a second I thought I would get some air on the hill but then felt that trim more than I ever have in the past and got nothing. Hopefully I'll get multiple rides next Wednesday in different rows.

I don’t have a source for this but myself and my son, but there was a huge difference between my ride last Sunday and my night ride last night Friday, 13 May(both rides in row 17). 
Notably the trims… I will swear up and down on Sunday they barely hit if at all and that train absolutely hauled with a beautiful sense of reckless abandonment and determined speed throughout the whole course.

Fast forward to yesterday, and it was evident the trims were hitting definitely more aggressively and we could both tell. I had myself hyped up for the ride like Sunday and while it didn’t meet that expectation, it was still evident what a great job was done with the retrack and how fast you fly through the helix….

• Like 1

I was in absolute awe. I have been riding this ride for 34 years, but the last few years I've gotten off sore and beaten. I did not expect the absolutely smooth ride yesterday, and I swear my mouth was gaping the whole ride (I'm glad I didn't swallow a bug!) 

I've stayed in the front few cars for the past few years, but I'm going to try the back again. I'm thrilled! (Which I guess is the purpose of the ride, right?)

:)

• Like 5

On 5/14/2022 at 12:48 PM, Waltny said:

I don’t have a source for this but myself and my son, but there was a huge difference between my ride last Sunday and my night ride last night Friday, 13 May(both rides in row 17). 
Notably the trims… I will swear up and down on Sunday they barely hit if at all and that train absolutely hauled with a beautiful sense of reckless abandonment and determined speed throughout the whole course.

Fast forward to yesterday, and it was evident the trims were hitting definitely more aggressively and we could both tell. I had myself hyped up for the ride like Sunday and while it didn’t meet that expectation, it was still evident what a great job was done with the retrack and how fast you fly through the helix….

I noticed the same thing on Friday the 13th.  We tried riding in the front seat (we are usually backish riders) to see and feel the new speed that we felt on The Beast opening day.  They must have installed another trim strip to the end of the brake shed or another fin to the bottom of the train (don't really know how it's done) because you could really feel the pull.  I had a feeling this was going to happen as stated in my previous post.  The stretch from 2nd tunnel to 2nd lift was faster than I remember being in a long time and the older track was really being tested.  The new track feels smoother but the speed feels close to what it was last year.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PGalati said:

I noticed the same thing on Friday the 13th.  We tried riding in the front seat (we are usually backish riders) to see and feel the new speed that we felt on The Beast opening day.  They must have installed another trim strip to the end of the brake shed or another fin to the bottom of the train (don't really know how it's done) because you could really feel the pull.  I had a feeling this was going to happen as stated in my previous post.  The stretch from 2nd tunnel to 2nd lift was faster than I remember being in a long time and the older track was really being tested.  The new track feels smoother but the speed feels close to what it was last year.

I thought the same thing yesterday. I rode it the previous Sunday and it sure seemed like this Sunday it was hitting a lot harder and back to its pre track work speeds between the shed and the 2nd lift.

I also hope they are able to work out the train coming into the station and stopping like 8 times before it is finally in its final stopping point. 

• Like 2

Probably still just learning how the ride behaves with the retrack, and tuning the trims as needed. When they first switched to magnetics in 2002, it took a while before they had everything tuned in. For a while early in 2002, the first drop didn't even HAVE a trim, and then in 2003, the first turn had to be rebuilt.

I wonder if anyone makes computer-adjustable automatic mag trims that would work with a wood coaster, similar to the ones being used on B&M hypers and gigas now. They reset themselves for each cycle based on sensors, would require more control system work but could improve the situation of having to manually adjust each brake.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Someone mentioned on facebook yesterday that they trimmed it down to the speed it was before the rehab work. Is that true? I was hoping for an out of control Beast! I wish I could have came down there sooner.

One does not walk away from the new Beast feeling like it was an out of control Beast....

• Like 1