The Beast Retrack Work Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

Can confirm start and stops are basically gone. Saw it park in one stop today on one of my twelve Beast rides (I like Beast :))

One major issue I noticed that was NOT present last time I visited is a rather big pothole, or what could be called a fun bump. 

Immediately after the second trim, what feels like the right side of the train jolts up for a split second then falls back in line with the track. This is much more noticeable in the front than the back, but still not undistinguished. 

Anyone have an idea how recent this is? 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Coasterteam said:

Can confirm start and stops are basically gone. Saw it park in one stop today on one of my twelve Beast rides (I like Beast :))

One major issue I noticed that was NOT present last time I visited is a rather big pothole, or what could be called a fun bump. 

Immediately after the second trim, what feels like the right side of the train jolts up for a split second then falls back in line with the track. This is much more noticeable in the front than the back, but still not undistinguished. 

Anyone have an idea how recent this is? 

Is this Bump intentional?

Ok so the ride itself is awesome but the controls are the worst ever. Like horrendous. KI needs to address this very soon because this ride literally breaks down every day I go. And the stop start thing is the station is terrible too. Like come on guys this feels so cheap and terrible. The Beast was always reliable in the past and now that is ruined like no other coaster breaks down this much! It's ridiculous and needs to be addressed. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, johnjniehaus said:

Ok so the ride itself is awesome but the controls are the worst ever. Like horrendous. KI needs to address this very soon because this ride literally breaks down every day I go. And the stop start thing is the station is terrible too. Like come on guys this feels so cheap and terrible. The Beast was always reliable in the past and now that is ruined like no other coaster breaks down this much! It's ridiculous and needs to be addressed. 

Did you ride recently? Others seem to indicate the stop-start thing was resolved. I agree about the breakdowns though. I've been in line multiple times this season only for the ride to be shut down, and considering how long the lines have been, that's frustrating.

I finally rode it yesterday for the second time this season (this time in a non-wheel seat) and I got one of the best rides that I have gotten on it in years.  I do agree that they need to get the issue fixed when you get back into the station though.  It is hard to say how much capacity they are losing to that on an hourly basis.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I finally rode it yesterday for the second time this season (this time in a non-wheel seat) and I got one of the best rides that I have gotten on it in years.  I do agree that they need to get the issue fixed when you get back into the station though.  It is hard to say how much capacity they are losing to that on an hourly basis.

Is the pothole still painful?

New track and new sensors so there are always bugs.  The downtime is getting less as the season goes on.

I have not felt any potholes.  Are you sure it wasn't a perceived bump due to the trim brake catching harder than your previous rides?  I have experienced a little "jump" based on the trims catching a little harder that are probably a result of the train hitting the track more abruptly than gliding over with less trim and letting the upstop wheels do their thing.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2022 at 1:19 PM, DoomPlague said:

Did you ride recently? Others seem to indicate the stop-start thing was resolved. I agree about the breakdowns though. I've been in line multiple times this season only for the ride to be shut down, and considering how long the lines have been, that's frustrating.

I was there Monday June 20th and FINALLY got to ride it after waiting an hour and it broke down so long that everyone left the line and the operators were emptying the garbage cans....then waited an hour again later and got to ride.  the start stop thing was less than before so that's good. Overall the ride was still way smoother. Ending after second lift feels faster to me and I love it. First drop trim is still more noticeable to me than pre retrack but it's not a problem. Overall it's probably a better ride now but hopefully they cut down on the down time.

• Like 3

Oh funny story - a ride operator told me that The Beast breaks down alot because it's "just an old ride" so I really thought about asking why The Racer seldom breaks down and I've never seen or heard of Woodstock Express having any issues. Both of those coasters are older than The Beast....why are they seldom if ever closed? 

I'm actually really curious why they are so reliable or if anyone else has had issues with them being unreliable...

• Like 2

The sensors were replaced on The Beast and additional programming happened.  It is common for a ride to experience these "breakdowns" after that happens.  They are not really breakdowns more than the sensors faulting and needing adjusted.  It has been getting less and less as the season has progressed.

• Like 3

I first rode The Beast in 1981, after waiting to meet height requirement. Before yesterday (5/23/22) the last time I rode it was in 2021.  The Beast feels like it has one foot in 1981 and one foot in 2021.  The refurbished portions of the track takes me back to 1980's while the non-refurbuished portions are in the 2020's.  I thought the only hope for The Beast was making it a hybrid but now I'm hopeful K.I. will continue refurbishing it and return it to its glory days.  THANK YOU K.I.!!

• Like 3

Lots of fans here and I hope you can put up with me being a critic.  It's for the good of all

I'm at KI 2x a week since days started.  I'd say 50% of the time Beast is down.  We'd like to be safe... yes of course.  From my limited attendance, I'd say Beast was down 30+ times since starting the daytime season.  Here's some options to consider

- the same thing broke 30x... sensors, wires, brakes, whatever.  But same thing 30x
- 30 different things have broken

From an controls engineering standpoint, this is nuts.  If it's the same thing over and over then it's a no-brainer to fix it.  If it's different things breaking each time then why the heck didn't we figure this out two months ago.  Would like to hear someone "make lemonade" out of these lemons.  But IMO it's a bit unacceptable for a [former] main attraction to be this unreliable.  Even if it's redundant systems disagreeing.  Plz forgive my criticism but this isn't ho-hum oops stuff breaks it's all new

• Like 4

I believe many of the breakdown of rides (not just at KI) are due to numerous safety measures being put into place.

The more sensors/ prox switches, the more opportunity for rides to go down.  We use many sensors & prox switches in manufacturing and it does take a good while for things to "hum" consistently.  To have a ride get to the point that all the sesnors/ prox switches are humming together seems like it wouldn't be difficult but with: weather changes, constant vibrations & "fixing" vs. "replacing" due to lack of resources (manpower OR equipment) some patience may be needed on our part.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

^+1 above!!!  

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the sensors are new to The Beast and additional ones and other items were added, so yes this is "ho-hum oops stuff breaks it's all new"....and it takes awhile for everything to settle out as @Browntggrr excellently explains based on his experiences with these sensors in a manufacturing setting, which would be easier than in a setting on a roller coaster exposed to 24/7 weather and operating conditions...

• Like 4

This thing has been down 8x while I'm visiting and 30x is a reasonable extrapolation.  Someone dropped the ball on this.  Sensors and PLC's are a pretty mature technology, in any weather and any situation.  When the ride opened 40+ years ago, was it down 20% of the time?

If I'm driving a car and it's broken 20% of the time, all the parts of it should be mature tech.  And those which are new should "break" 1-3x during the testing phase.

Edited by Jeorby Nanpa
car analogy
  • Like 1

The ride did not have as many sensors when it opened....

Ir goes down for maybe 10min while maintenance resets it.  Line clears and you get on faster than if it didn't go down.  It isn't like it shuts down the rest of the day.  Having maintenance reset it is part of the safety features to ensure the ride is not restarted prematurely.  Sometimes they are close by and sometimes it takes a few minutes for them to get there.

If you are so smart, then why don't you go work for the park and show them how it is done :P   

These are different than a car.  A car isn't 7,361 feet long with sensors exposed to 24/7 elements.  Reread what @Browntggrr posted about his experience with these types of sensors....

The downtimes have been getting less as the season goes on...so maybe you have just had bad luck timing.....

Most of us would prefer a false fault and the small inconvenience of downtime than it missing a fault and the ride having an accident....

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Jeorby Nanpa said:

This thing has been down 8x while I'm visiting and 30x is a reasonable extrapolation.  Someone dropped the ball on this.  Sensors and PLC's are a pretty mature technology, in any weather and any situation.  When the ride opened 40+ years ago, was it down 20% of the time?

If I'm driving a car and it's broken 20% of the time, all the parts of it should be mature tech.  And those which are new should "break" 1-3x during the testing phase.

Hmmm it’s had a late open one day I was there and a 10 min max shut down right before I got on one evening. Maybe it’s just you that it doesn’t like LOL. 

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

The ride did not have as many sensors when it opened....

Ir goes down for maybe 10min while maintenance resets it.  Line clears and you get on faster than if it didn't go down.  It isn't like it shuts down the rest of the day.  Having maintenance reset it is part of the safety features to ensure the ride is not restarted prematurely.  Sometimes they are close by and sometimes it takes a few minutes for them to get there.

If you are so smart, then why don't you go work for the park and show them how it is done :P   

These are different than a car.  A car isn't 7,361 feet long with sensors exposed to 24/7 elements.  Reread what @Browntggrr posted about his experience with these types of sensors....

The downtimes have been getting less as the season goes on...so maybe you have just had bad luck timing.....

Most of us would prefer a false fault and the small inconvenience of downtime than it missing a fault and the ride having an accident....

Did it have sensors when it opened?

I remember, as a child, there were employees stationed along the ride...the platforms at the top of each lift, the MCBR and up the 2nd lift where the train usually catches the train.  I have always assumed they were the sensors, similiar to the employees at the top of the last lift on Kings Mills Log Flume.  Of course, I could have been mistaken as a child.  LOL

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 10:29 PM, Jeorby Nanpa said:

Lots of fans here and I hope you can put up with me being a critic.  It's for the good of all

I'm at KI 2x a week since days started.  I'd say 50% of the time Beast is down.  We'd like to be safe... yes of course.  From my limited attendance, I'd say Beast was down 30+ times since starting the daytime season.  Here's some options to consider

- the same thing broke 30x... sensors, wires, brakes, whatever.  But same thing 30x
- 30 different things have broken

From an controls engineering standpoint, this is nuts.  If it's the same thing over and over then it's a no-brainer to fix it.  If it's different things breaking each time then why the heck didn't we figure this out two months ago.  Would like to hear someone "make lemonade" out of these lemons.  But IMO it's a bit unacceptable for a [former] main attraction to be this unreliable.  Even if it's redundant systems disagreeing.  Plz forgive my criticism but this isn't ho-hum oops stuff breaks it's all new

I'm at the park today and The Beast is down with trains pulled off the track. I can verify it was running earlier today. However, as I've said before it's broken down literally every time I come. I understand the sensor reset stuff and that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about it being broke down and closed for over 30 minutes. I agree with Jeorby Nanpa that this is unacceptable. I understand the safety arguments and the sensors are touchy and occasionally it goes down for 10 minutes but I'm saying that it going down for 30 min plus is really annoying especially after waiting over an hour and having to come back later and wait an hour again. What other ride in the park has that much downtime this often??? Please let me know if I'm just having really bad luck as I'm sure others are at the park more often than I am. 

• Like 3

EVERY ride will experience downtime.  And a ride will go in waves.  Diamondback got jealous when Orion was announced and experienced  more than normal downtime that year lol.  Orion has gone down a bit, as had Drop Tower and about every ride at some point in its life.

KI works hard to get them open same day if they can.  Sometimes it is a part they don't have sitting around like an extra Vortex lift chain or a part for Delirium and it is longer, but sometimes it is faster.

Beast is open right now proving that just because they pull the trains off the track doesn't mean it is done for the day.  They fixed it and opened it back up.

You must just have bad luck...

Our rides tend to have better uptime than our sister park up north...just saying...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

We noticed The Beast was down yesterday when riding Dback.  So we went and did Mystic Timbers, Kings Mills Log Flume x2 and enjoyed park atmosphere for a bit.  Then we had 4 stunning rides of The Beast.  If the ride is down, there is plenty of other things to do.  I'm 2.5 hours away, and yes, it sucks if the ride is down for the entire day, but odds are in my favor of having many more rides in the future.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, disco2000 said:

EVERY ride will experience downtime.  And a ride will go in waves.  Diamondback got jealous when Orion was announced and experienced  more than normal downtime that year lol.  Orion has gone down a bit, as had Drop Tower and about every ride at some point in its life.

KI works hard to get them open same day if they can.  Sometimes it is a part they don't have sitting around like an extra Vortex lift chain or a part for Delirium and it is longer, but sometimes it is faster.

Beast is open right now proving that just because they pull the trains off the track doesn't mean it is done for the day.  They fixed it and opened it back up.

You must just have bad luck...

Our rides tend to have better uptime than our sister park up north...just saying...

Surprisingly Orion has been having stellar operations lately with no break downs. And I have been getting awesome rides on it!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rode The Beast a few days ago, here are my thoughts:

The first drop into the first tunnel and the left-hand turn is wonderful. The transition is very smooth and the banking on the turn is great. The trim breaks before the dip and in the shed hit hard, especially the closer you are towards the front of the train. I will say that the work done to the helix is really good. Its smooth, it feels great, and the helix (to me) is the best its been in years. 

Overall, I'd say the work done to The Beast is very good.

• Like 4