RIP Sling Shot?

BoddaH1994

It is not listed under the rides on the KI website anymore which seems like it confirms the removal.

That whole area along with the area between AE and the Freestyle location would work well for some flats.  Bringing back a Keggers style ride and putting in a Musik Express would really help that area especially during Winterfest when it is such a dead area of the park.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I've said it before, this location would be a good spot for a multi level german lodge restaurant. Think the restaurant being built at Canada's Wonderland, but would serve German/Irish Pub food. Think of the views of Banshee from a patio of such restaurant. 

I like this idea.  No matter what the theme or the cuisine, all I ask is any new restaurant have:

1. at least some indoor seating
  2. a menu created by Chef Major 
  • Like 2

Well, that explains why the ball has been missing for a few weeks... RIP Sling Shot.

The few times I've ridden it throughout the years, it's been fun and interesting. My personal ridership on it declined when they instituted the "No Single Riders" rule (as I would usually ride alone). In fact, IIRC, my last ride was with a ride-op as I had just found out about the rule before boarding and I was by myself. I also remember wait times being ridiculously long because the ball could only hold two riders. According to my ride count spreadsheet, my last ride was in 2015.

While I was typing this, more posts came in, and I agree with Specialk141's post that SlingShot could possibly be relocated to another area of the park. The location worked well enough, but as another poster said, it didn't fit with the Oktoberfest theme at all.

Interesting to see that it's been removed completely. I just assumed the ball was missing because it was being repainted. Hopefully they'll put some good flats in that area, especially with all the space available on the other side of AE where part of Skylab used to be

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I saw this on Facebook. I believe the photo is real. As of this writing, it appears that one of the towers of Sling Shot has been removed. There is a crane in the area. 
9F24AB3A-0B36-4977-9B89-F80AA52AFB71.jpeg

Wow, I don’t think anyone saw this coming. But maybe in a couple years we could see Adventure Express gone and some expansion there.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

They will do what makes sense to keep their parks alive. You can be certain of that.

I don't disagree but it does it make it harder and harder for us to renew are passes year after year with ride removals.  Firehawk was basically replaced by Orion but Vortex (my fav) coaster there still has no replacement and likely none planned for the near future.  Kids area hasn't seen anything new in awhile either 

Just now, flightoffear1996 said:

I don't disagree but it does it make it harder and harder for us to renew are passes year after year with ride removals.  Firehawk was basically replaced by Orion but Vortex (my fav) coaster there still has no replacement and likely none planned for the near future.  Kids area hasn't seen anything new in awhile either 

Hopefully any kind of new ride in 2023.

1 minute ago, BoddaH1994 said:

If SS is being removed it appears as though it is very much being removed for a reason. Why paint it, dress it up with its own logo for a few weeks, then take it down? It doesn't add up, unless this decision was very very recent.

Hopefully the park says something soon. Maybe something happened on the ride while running the ride. Someone said there was no ball on it? 

With this removal, Orion officially becomes the fastest ride at Kings Island. 

• Like 4

It must have been a very recent decision as the ride never opened for the season but was still on the park map.

Whatever the reason is, it's not an attraction I'll necessarily miss. This does once again open up yet another prime area in the park. Adding to the list of Vortex, Action Theater, TRTR building, Plot behind Eiffel Tower. It's almost a blessing the park has so much opportunity for expansion inside the park where parks now need to resort to building on top of another attraction or build outside the property. 

• Like 5