RIP Sling Shot?

BoddaH1994

10 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

If SS is being removed it appears as though it is very much being removed for a reason. Why paint it, dress it up with its own logo for a few weeks, then take it down? It doesn't add up, unless this decision was very very recent.

Icon Park happened, and Funtime manufactured Sling Shot.

• Like 1

If SS is being removed it appears as though it is very much being removed for a reason. Why paint it, dress it up with its own logo for a few weeks, then take it down? It doesn't add up, unless this decision was very very recent.

Same manufacturer who built the Drop Tower in Orlando. So I’m assuming the reason it’s being removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This ride is almost certainly not being removed due to what happened in Orlando. Firstly it’s a totally different ride model so there’s no shared design flaw between  this and the Drop Tower. Ignoring that fact, the investigation isn’t even over, it’d be extremely questionable to remove every ride from a manufacture before the investigation is concluded. Based off of the ride models Wikipedia page Kings Island appears to have one of the oldest operating slingshots, however at this moment it doesn’t appear like any Funtime slingshots have been removed due to reaching the end of their service life. As such that makes this sudden removal of the ride more interesting.

• Like 4

What in the world does Funtime being the manufacturer of Slingshot have to do with this? It opened in 2002, long before the tower ride in Orlando. On top of that, hasn't it already come out that Icon Park themselves altered the rides restraint/sensor system, not Funtime?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, tuxedoman52 said:

What in the world does Funtime being the manufacturer of Slingshot have to do with this? It opened in 2002, long before the tower ride in Orlando. On top of that, hasn't it already come out that Icon Park themselves altered the rides restraint/sensor system, not Funtime?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

its speculation. i doubt its connected at all

• Like 1

I am all in favor of Sling Shot being relocated or removed. I never rode it because if I'm throwing down $20 extra the EXtreme Skyflyer looks alot more fun. I personally think we need a flat ride. Return of the der Spinnen Keggers? (Do I dare hope for that?) or even if they just moved the Matterhorn from Cedar Point down here. I mean CP would still have the Himalaya ride which is rather similar....

If the ride is still serviceable, I'd be in favor of relocating to an expanded Area 72, with a new theme and lighting package.  The area is too narrow for many things, but cleaned up, it would offer great sight lines for Banshee and a revamped Bier Garten patio.  

In my opinion, a climate controlled indoor restaurant would be better located at the end of Coney Mall.  The Slingshot plot is much too small and has Festhaus within spitting distance (figuratively).  Long term, this would be a better investment, especially since WinterFest is so successful.  

If the ride is permanently removed and not relocated, I would not be disappointed.  I have no urge to ride it.  But if this is the case, my sympathies to those who enjoy it and are attached to it.  Losing a ride you enjoy is never pleasant.

• Like 6

I know that the manufacturer is not the reason you guys are thinking of, but think about what has happened with their past products. First of all, there is Orlando Free Fall. That may not be a good enough reason, but there is also the fact that some of their past slingshots have had their cables snap and injure riders before. I think with that and the Orlando Free Fall incident, KI may not want to test their luck. On top of that, they removed it without anyone knowing.

Edit: I had no idea the ride was 20 years old, so that may be it. However, I'm still half convinced it's because of the manufacturer.

1 minute ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Enquiry made, with no response.

When the PR team doesn’t respond it implies that they’re hiding something. 

10 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

Same manufacturer who built the Drop Tower in Orlando. So I’m assuming the reason it’s being removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My thought too; however, the other Sling Shot rides at the other Cedar Fair properties are currently operating. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, rlentless said:

I still feel they would not have painted it if they knew it was going to be removed.  Maybe in testing for the season they found the footers or anchors had to be rebuilt??  idk

Well they didn't repaint Vortex, but no one saw Vortex getting removed. Same with Bavarian Beetle actually, they were originally going to reopen Bavarian Beetle after an inspection but found some fatal flaws that ended the ride.

I believe it is safe to say the removal has nothing to do with the Orlando accident. CF has multiple slingshot rides built by Funtime, and those are still currently operating. Since they painted it during the off season, they had every intention in reopening it. They either found something on the sphere itself, or something with the towers that put cost of repairs, or unavailability of parts for a 20 year old ride that made the return on investment, not worth it. Now, having said that, and with them removing the towers, it leads me to believe there was something discovered to be wrong with the structure, otherwise, I would think they would just leave it sit as it was, and remove during the next off season. Again just my opinion, and speculation. 

I believe the park will go one of three routes with this.

1. The Steel Vengeance route

- What slingshot? There never was a slingshot. Never existed. That's always been a concrete slab.

2. Formally announce it's removal for "service life" or something along that line with no current replacement down the road

3. Announce it's being replaced with a new one? 

Sad to see it go of course, one less flat in the already low collection of flats, but was fun to watch. I never rode it, not big into upcharge attractions like that. Always seemed to have a line whenever I did see it operating. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

This would be a fantastic location for a large Ferris Wheel with an incredible lighting package. Hell, the other side of AE could fit a new flat too. This could also be a great excuse to give Oktoberfest a much needed refresh. 

That would be so perfect! They could do a centerless ferris wheel and have the lattice spports painted to look like it is made of wood.

• Like 2