RIP Sling Shot?

BoddaH1994

I can’t say it was one of my personal favorites as I always compared the feeling of being in that ball to that of a bucking horse…and I’d know since I had horses for over 20 years. The launch of the ball was the only exciting part. But it still sucks to see it being removed, if that is actually what’s happening. I mean, obviously the towers are being taken down, but I mean removed as in not coming back either refurbished or replaced with an updated model. It will be interesting to see what the park says, if anything at all. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SOBwasaSOB said:

I have it on good authority from an insider that Slingshot was removed to be replaced with Top Thrill Dragster.  It will be a compacted version, of course.

What an amazing discovery, I also heard a few hours ago from a totally legit source that Orion will be moved to Knotts to make way for wicked twister \j

In all seriousness though I hope we see some more activity over in that section, It would be a huge win if we could get an improved Oktoberfest section!

• Like 3

Can't say I'm saddened by this. I was always too leery of these to ride anyway. And, honestly, these upcharge attractions just look cheap and ugly to me; if it's an attraction you could see while walking along the boardwalk in Vegas, I don't really love it as an addition to the park. Honestly, I kind of feel the same way about EXtreme Skyflyer; they feel like cheap, tourist attraction-type places, not well-thought out, themed enhancements to the park. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, beastfan11 said:

This would be a fantastic location for a large Ferris Wheel with an incredible lighting package. Hell, the other side of AE could fit a new flat too. This could also be a great excuse to give Oktoberfest a much needed refresh. 

The best part is the poor throughput of a Ferris Wheel couldn't really be used as an argument against given what it would replace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldschool75 said:

Like from the company that produces parts who is about to get sued into oblivion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt that the removal has anything to do with the lawsuit (given that the other Cedar Fair parks with Funtime attractions are still in operation), although I'm sure Kings Island has just saved a lot of money on future hard to find parts if Funtime loses the lawsuit.

2 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

Can't say I'm saddened by this. I was always too leery of these to ride anyway. And, honestly, these upcharge attractions just look cheap and ugly to me; if it's an attraction you could see while walking along the boardwalk in Vegas, I don't really love it as an addition to the park. Honestly, I kind of feel the same way about EXtreme Skyflyer; they feel like cheap, tourist attraction-type places, not well-thought out, themed enhancements to the park. 

I was not a huge fan of the ride but a ride that thrilled people when it goes it is still sad to see it go.

• Like 1

I hate to see any ride removed without a replacement because that means more people in other lines, even if the ride removed is a lower capacity ride.  Even if it wasn't a ride I cared for, it means the displaced riders go somewhere else, like your favorite ride. 

Now granted this one is really low capacity and probably cannot be measured, but the idea is the same.

• Like 1

I'm really hoping that this is a sign of things to come for Oktoberfest. That area is perfect for a new flat. Be ncie if they revamped the Marketplace area/ladder game and spruce up the Biergarten as well. Give the area a more German feel to it. A return of Der Spinning Keggers in some form would be great.

• Like 2

When it comes to a potential Oktoberfest overhaul, there is a lot you can do. I came up with a little mock up art. The color circles are where potential flat rides could go. The orange one I believe is where the spinning keggers were, the red is SlingShot's area, and the yellow is just an open grass area in between Tower Gardens and the restrooms. I think any flat ride could work in any area. I think bringing back the spinning keggers is a great idea. Another idea is a Zamperla NebulaZ themed around beer brewing (similar to how Hersheypark's is themed around mixing candy). Another idea is a Trabant type ride. Those are currently my 3 picks for a potential Oktoberfest overhaul. The two light brown arches are Oktoberfest entry points that would have an Oktoberfest sign. I think honestly they should go around and put area signs at the entrance to each major area (AZ, Oktoberfest, Coney Mall, and Rivertown). The ladder game structure looks to be sticking around for something. Idk what its going to be used for as they recently put up a 50th banner in there and they painted it and gave it a roof. Maybe a photo op or even a lounge area. I think after 2022, they could use it for extra seating for Hanks which is why I kept it. I agree, they should update the Coke Marketplace to make it German/rustic like for Oktoberfest.

image.png

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, purdude86 said:

I'm really hoping that this is a sign of things to come for Oktoberfest. That area is perfect for a new flat. Be ncie if they revamped the Marketplace area/ladder game and spruce up the Biergarten as well. Give the area a more German feel to it. A return of Der Spinning Keggers in some form would be great.

Here is what the ladder game looked like on Sunday.

Photo_1652826401081.jpg

Photo_1652826396322.jpg

Photo_1652826395515.jpg

• Like 3

(In reference to the Slingshot-less skyline picture by Buckeye Coasters): I think the new skyline looks refreshing. It reminds me of the olden days when I would go to KI as a kid, except instead of Banshee and Diamondback, there was King Cobra and Son of Beast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Yeah that definitely looks like a VIP lounge or just a patio seating area just for everyone. 

There is a bunch of outdoor chairs-sofas from Carnivale behind this area ready to set up soon. Definitely seating of some type. Probably VIP experience-but seems sort of “in your face” for a vip lounge. 

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

There is a bunch of outdoor chairs-sofas from Carnivale behind this area ready to set up soon. Definitely seating of some type. Probably VIP experience-but seems sort of “in your face” for a vip lounge. 

Yeah, when I think of VIP I tend to think of something more private. Is there a reason the IR can't be used as a VIP lounge during the day?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

I agree about the appearance of the flyers but I think they are a ton of fun and the one upcharge I actually consider doing at the parks. However, I hate it's current location as I struggle seeing upcharges as regular park attractions so to me it feels like a massive chunk of land taken from Action Zone. Think if it was moved to Area 72 where it could fit thematically without much theming and be more out of the way it would be better, and allow space for new flats or even a coaster in Action Zone.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 9:57 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

If SS is being removed it appears as though it is very much being removed for a reason. Why paint it, dress it up with its own logo for a few weeks, then take it down? It doesn't add up, unless this decision was very very recent.

Vortex 2.0

• Like 1