Actor Barry Williams “Greg Brady” to narrate Kings Island’s 50th Night Time Spectacular

BoddaH1994

3 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Nice thing is they aren’t technically “integral” to the show. They are a great addition, but there aren’t really any “drones only” moments that would seem odd if they were missing. 

I haven't seen the show in person yet, but from the videos I have seen, it does seem to me that they are a huge part of the show.  The classic logo and Snoopy scenes especially seem to evoke emotional responses in the audience (and me too).

4 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Nice thing is they aren’t technically “integral” to the show. They are a great addition, but there aren’t really any “drones only” moments that would seem odd if they were missing. 

It “worked” without the drones, but especially in the beginning there were a lot of dead moments when there were supposed to be “wow” moments with the drones. Specifically, nothing much happens at the beginning when the logo was morphing from the current logo to the 50th. There is about a 30 second stretch where nothing is happening. You are right that the show works without them, but I feel like it works but not as well. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I haven't seen the show in person yet, but from the videos I have seen, it does seem to me that they are a huge part of the show.  The classic logo and Snoopy scenes especially seem to evoke emotional responses in the audience (and me too).

Maybe I shouldn’t have used the work “integral” as they ARE a huge part of the story. I mean more that there aren’t specific “drone only” moments that I can think of where there is nothing else going on where you would really notice them missing. Disney did a show EPCOT FOREVER that used kites that were problematic. That was all that was happening during those segments, so if they weren’t in the show-it was very obvious. They eventually redid the show without them and added fireworks to those segments. It’s hard with stuff like drones that are super cool-yet touchy with weather or whatever. You want to hype them up and make it part of the draw of the show, but then when you hype each individual element-it’s noticeable when they aren’t there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

It “worked” without the drones, but especially in the beginning there were a lot of dead moments when there were supposed to be “wow” moments with the drones. Specifically, nothing much happens at the beginning when the logo was morphing from the current logo to the 50th. There is about a 30 second stretch where nothing is happening. You are right that the show works without them, but I feel like it works but not as well. 

Forgot about that “drone only” moment. Would be good if they could have a “B” mode or a way to accomplish that effect through projection on the buildings ets if the drones aren’t working. 

• Like 1

I didn't quite get to see the full show but was rather on Diamondback when it started and got a great view of the drones first couple of displays on the lift hill.

They seem to be really leaning on the Brady Bunch connection. They played "Sunshine Day" in The Racer station and I questioned if anyone else in the station had any idea what it was.

8 hours ago, DoomPlague said:

I didn't quite get to see the full show but was rather on Diamondback when it started and got a great view of the drones first couple of displays on the lift hill.

They seem to be really leaning on the Brady Bunch connection. They played "Sunshine Day" in The Racer station and I questioned if anyone else in the station had any idea what it was.

Which is ironic in its own full circle way in that it’s a Paramount property. It’s like Ki, Cedar Fair and Paramount were destined to be strange bedfellows-untied through the love of a sunshine day. 

The show has a lot going on.    The action is reasonably timed to the music. This show doesn’t utilize the fountains as much as previous years since it has all the other effects. 

It’s a good long show.  I like that the fireworks are not constant and seem to be timed to the music better than they ever have been. 

They recorded a custom song for the show, which is the best music in the show.   The rest of the music is stop and go, corny and fairly incohesive, but related to park history.  

In the  version I saw, the drones appeared at the start of the show then left a couple of songs before the end.   Is that tge normal  timing?     If that’s the case it makes  it a little anti climatic since they are pretty fantastic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, super7 said:

In the  version I saw, the drones appeared at the start of the show then left a couple of songs before the end.   Is that tge normal  timing?     If that’s the case it names it a little anti climatic since they are pretty fantastic. 

Yes, we are highly speculating the batteries just can't make it the whole time. 

Interesting show last night.

The laser projecting on the tower didn’t work. The drones were also as much as three minutes behind the rest of the show. This caused the graphics to bleed from one section into the next.

Everything else appeared to be correct. 

They now have four laser projectors installed on the fountain. Hopefully they start using them soon!

• Like 2

I noticed the same thing.  The grandkids noticed it too.  Also about 3 drones had their lights out.  Only really noticeable on the red flag in the 2nd Kings Island.  I'm sure there are kinks to work out.  I was very impressed with the first night and how flawless it was.  They're doing a great job.

3 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Interesting show last night.

The laser projecting on the tower didn’t work. The drones were also as much as three minutes behind the rest of the show. This caused the graphics to bleed from one section into the next.

Everything else appeared to be correct. 

They now have four laser projectors installed on the fountain. Hopefully they start using them soon!

Actually up to 6 now-3pr side. Front, mid, bandstand. 

On 6/8/2022 at 12:39 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

I thought the same thing but I thought I had miscounted. Very exciting!!!!!

Still not in use. There seems to be a mounting bracket of some sort in front of them-like they are waiting on a refraction mirror or something to split or animate the beam. Maybe shipping delays? Lol. Show was odd tonight. No central laser until the 50 at the end (heard it’s been off and on) and no drones most likely due to “predicted but didn’t happen” rain? Last Friday they were staging them about 8 so they might have to make a preemptive call pretty early if they are using them or not due to the set-up time. Central laser really needs to function as  the Peanuts segment has pretty much nothing without drones or Charlie Brown zig zag. 

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Looks like the 6 “mystery lasers” are still a mystery. Not is use still. Wonder what the point of these is. They are pretty large and clearly gave done as of yet purpose in the show.  

What’s weird is the lasers seemed to be angled the other day, and a few had what looks like cameras attached to them. As of yesterday, none were in use. 
0B46469E-2982-4445-BCF5-1E2685084F5F.jpeg

• Like 1