New Flat Ride coming in 2023?

ohiocoasterfan

54 minutes ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

I saw an article about Slingshot being removed and Chad was quoted in the article.

What flat ride do you think would fit in this area?

9e8768a3218d68a2613dc4fa00712eb5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe some sort of small flat ride in area 72? I don’t know where they could fit it but it would I be nice to have something new in area 72.

Edited by Orion742
Wrong spelling

To me they found an issue or needed a new part that is hard to get for this older SlingShot ride.  Also, with all national attention to FunTime rides, they decided it was in the best interest of the park to retire the ride.

Even the newscast posted above had this underlining hint it was unsafe.  No mention it had operated safely for 20 years.  So I don't blame the park because if anything would happen to a rider, the news media and public would have blamed Kings Island.

I just want to say I believe the park holds itself to a higher standard for rider safety and I always appreciated it.  I think that is true across all Cedar Fair parks.

• Like 7

On 5/22/2022 at 6:28 PM, DoomPlague said:

Is there actually national attention on FunTime? Does the public ever really care about the manufacturer of a ride where someone died? Shouldn't that mean [insert manufacturer] would have gone out of business by now?

Bad PR is bad PR. Sometimes one death is all it takes to ruin a name, despite the true data.

• Like 1

I don't think this has anything to do with the accident, especially since other Slingshot rides at other CF parks are still operating. During the Banshee walk-back at CoasterStock last weekend, I overheard someone saying that Kings Island was the only park that leased their Slingshot and that the ride ops actually worked for Funtime rather than KI directly. If that is indeed the case, I'd suspect that has a lot to do with the ride's sudden unannounced removal - it would lead me to believe that the lease contract was up for renewal (which, given that the ride opened 20 years ago, would make sense) or that someone wanted to re-negotiate the terms and the two sides couldn't come to an agreement. The "future expansion" answer is just KI giving an answer to get the public to stop asking why it was removed, without actually giving the real reason for it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Oldiesmann said:

I don't think this has anything to do with the accident, especially since other Slingshot rides at other CF parks are still operating. During the Banshee walk-back at CoasterStock last weekend, I overheard someone saying that Kings Island was the only park that leased their Slingshot and that the ride ops actually worked for Funtime rather than KI directly. If that is indeed the case, I'd suspect that has a lot to do with the ride's sudden unannounced removal - it would lead me to believe that the lease contract was up for renewal (which, given that the ride opened 20 years ago, would make sense) or that someone wanted to re-negotiate the terms and the two sides couldn't come to an agreement. The "future expansion" answer is just KI giving an answer to get the public to stop asking why it was removed, without actually giving the real reason for it.

Slingshot ride operators did work for Kings Island. Really, any ride operator in the park could work Slingshot as long as they were trained when they got there (which is the case for any ride). Also, if Kings Island planned to end a lease of Slingshot, why would it be repainted just to be removed? I am pretty sure Kings Island owned Slingshot.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

Does anyone know if Sling Shot was listed in the list of rides they were painting for the 50th this year? 

The ride carriage was repainted. I think there was every intention of it operating this year.

• Like 3

Screenshot_20220529-215422_Earth.jpg

On 5/21/2022 at 7:07 PM, ohiocoasterfan said:

Just about any flat ride could fit if they re-route the Delirium line to run the other direction. I would like to see a three ride package for Oktoberfest or three flats outside of Coney Mall.

Come to think of it has Rivertown ever had a flat ride other than Tomb Raider/The Crypt?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DoomPlague said:

I believe there was the Wheel of Fortune (Trabant) where Linus Launchers currently is when that was still part of Rivertown. It predates me, but you can see it in footage like the Brady Bunch episode

Alice: "stop the park, I wanna get off" lol

EDIT: Drayton Manor in the UK is opening a nebulaz themed to vikings. Looking at this ride and how the color scheme is, I think a similar color scheme themed around beer brewing would be great in Slingshot's plot of land!

New Drayton Manor Ride Is Seriously Confusing Fans

Source for photo: https://www.ladbible.com/community/drayton-manor-loki-ride-confusing-fans-20220413

• Like 6

NebulaZ looks like fun but Zamperla's website says the theoretical hourly capacity is 360, so I doubt KI would go for something like that. Slingshot's capacity was terrible as well but at least it was an upcharge so the lines weren't that crazy. For unique flat rides, maybe a Chance Aviator would work.

• Like 2

MY top pick is definitely something reviving Der Spinning Keggers. either a teacup or similar replica of the original or even a tilt-a-whirl with a barrel them could work. A matterhorn style ride would be fun too and could fit in with an alpine theme.

Rivertown definitely needs more too. Think a Screamin' Swing where the Crypt's building is and a standard Top Spin themed to logging would fit in well with Mystic Timbers theming too.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 7:07 PM, ohiocoasterfan said:

I saw an article about Slingshot being removed and Chad was quoted in the article.

9e8768a3218d68a2613dc4fa00712eb5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I would love to see a new flat ride in 2023. Especially in Octoberfest. There's so many great flat rides out there but here's my top picks - 3 retro and 3 new flats. 

Retro

1. Der Spinnen Keggers or Intamin Drunken Barrels (these looked like fun and would fit the beergarten theme nicely)

2. Bayne Kurve (I always thought these rides looked really cool and unfortunately they aren't very common anymore. I think CA Great America And Knoebels are the only parks that have one in the U.S.)

3. Ferris Wheel (I prefer the smaller Eli Wheel models as compared to the giant wheel like CP has. The big wheels are so slow and take forever to load that they are more of an observation tower than anything else)

New 

1. Gerstlauer Sky Roller (idk how this fits the theme? Maybe some WWII European flag markings on the planes? However this looks amazing and hey....pay homage to flight commander)

2. Zamperla Endeavor (pay homage to Skylab with this near version. I loved the enterprise ride design and these are still really fun.)

3. Huss Condor (nothing like this ride! One at Six Flags Great America is awesome on a hot day. I think Kansas City worlds of fun actually got one of these in 2017, maybe?)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, johnjniehaus said:

3. Ferris Wheel (I prefer the smaller Eli Wheel models as compared to the giant wheel like CP has. The big wheels are so slow and take forever to load that they are more of an observation tower than anything else)

If we are to get a Ferris Wheel, let it be a small one like you mentioned. We do not need a giant wheel. As far as I am concerned all they are good for is the cool lighting package. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

If we are to get a Ferris Wheel, let it be a small one like you mentioned. We do not need a giant wheel. As far as I am concerned all they are good for is the cool lighting package. 

Hey Indy my Der Spinning Keggers post got 10 likes! (personal record for me :))  How about a poll question for a new flat?