Kings Island, 5/24

Lakota88

It was my family's first trip to KI since COVID hit. I grew up in the area but moved out of state years ago. But I loved KI so much I started taking my daughter there when she was five. This year she took a friend with her. I mostly just walked around with them and watched them ride this time. But even though I only rode a few rides, it was so much fun watching her make some of the same great memories that I have.

As for the trip report,

The Good:

• The park looked gorgeous. I loved the 50th anniversary decorations, and the new paint jobs on many of the old attractions made them look brand new. The historic photo displays throughout the park are wonderful, too. And it was very clean, as usual.
  • The ongoing commitment to safety. When we were on the Viking Fury, one of the attendants stopped mid-preflight check and asked a guardian to let them doublecheck a child's height. It only took a moment to make the child get up and go get measured before letting him back on and starting the ride, but that showed me that the staff really care about the guidelines. Hats off to management and staff for that level of diligence. 
  • Guest behavior was exemplary all day. We saw no disturbances or line-jumping. I was a bit worried after seeing stories of recent fights at the park, but we saw no troublemakers all day. Security was visible but not obtrusive.
  • Dining, part 1. The Larosa's was delicious as always. Few things can top a couple of slices of Larosa's by the International Street fountain.

The Bad:

• The music. Since we hadn't been there since 2019 I'm not sure how long ago this changed, but the music on International Street is now big band-era jazz type music. I enjoy that type of music in general, but I really missed the sweeping, majestic soundtrack music that was there before. I mean, I love "Stompin' at the Savoy," but it pales in comparison to the theme from The Natural paired with the sound of the fountain for getting you excited about a day of fun.
  • Going cashless. I understand the practicality of it: it makes transactions faster (in theory) and is easier on the cashiers. But it also is a sneaky extra source of income for the park because of all the people who walk out with a little bit of money left on a card that may never get used. We came from out of town, and my daughter's friend who came with us brought cash. If she'd converted it all to a payment card she would have undoubtedly left with a balance, and she definitely won't return this year. For adults it's a perfectly good policy, but for teens who don't have credit cards and aren't frequent visitors it's less than ideal. I ended up paying for most of her things with my Apple Pay and she just gave me a little cash at the end of the day.
  • Dining, part 2. The Skyline in Old Coney on International Street was incredibly disappointing. The buns were stale and the chili and wiener were lukewarm. That's the worst Skyline I've ever had anywhere, let alone at KI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lakota88 said:
  • Going cashless. I understand the practicality of it: it makes transactions faster (in theory) and is easier on the cashiers. But it also is a sneaky extra source of income for the park because of all the people who walk out with a little bit of money left on a card that may never get used. We came from out of town, and my daughter's friend who came with us brought cash. If she'd converted it all to a payment card she would have undoubtedly left with a balance, and she definitely won't return this year. For adults it's a perfectly good policy, but for teens who don't have credit cards and aren't frequent visitors it's less than ideal. I ended up paying for most of her things with my Apple Pay and she just gave me a little cash at the end of the day.

Welcome back and glad you got a good trip in!

Actually the cashless cards ARE good outside the park (walmart, mcdonalds, etc.).  Another reason for cashless is that it makes it harder for someone to "pocket" money as well as removes the ability for people to be held up.  Not saying either happens regularly, just another (albeit small) upside.

Just now, robintodd said:

Welcome back and glad you got a good trip in!

Actually the cashless cards ARE good outside the park (walmart, mcdonalds, etc.).  Another reason for cashless is that it makes it harder for someone to "pocket" money as well as removes the ability for people to be held up.  Not saying either happens regularly, just another (albeit small) upside.

Correct, they're essentially just $0 upfront fee prepaid Visa cards, with a monthly dormancy fee after 92 days (so don't load too much more than you plan to spend in that time, in or out of the park).  I haven't seen them in person yet but do the signs/kiosks not make this clear?  Anyway, check out the FAQ from the park.

Source: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/cashless

What Type of payments do Kings Island and Soak City accept?

VISA, Mastercard, Discover and American Express credit cards and most debit cards are accepted for payment. We also accept Apple Pay and Google Pay. The parks have multiple Cash-to-Card kiosks located throughout to allow you to convert your cash to a prepaid card with no fee. Leftover funds can be used anywhere VISA is accepted.

Is there a fee to use the Cash-to-Card kiosk?

There are no fees to convert your cash to a prepaid card and no fees to use the card in or outside the park. As long as the card is used regularly, no monthly fees will apply. After 92 consecutive days of no transaction activity, however, a $3.95 fee will be charged each month.

How much cash can I load onto a prepaid card?

Up to $500 can be loaded on a card. Minimum amount is $5.

Can I reload the prepaid card from the Cash-to-Card kiosk?

Prepaid cards are not reloadable.

Where can I use the prepaid card from the Cash-to-Card kiosk?

Cards can be used anywhere Visa is accepted.

How can I check the balance on my prepaid card?

The balance on the prepaid card can be checked at a Cash-to-Card kiosk, online at RCbalance.com or by calling the number found on the back of the card.

Why is the park going card-only or cashless?

By going cashless, we are able to conduct contact-less transactions, and it’s faster, safer and always secure.

1 hour ago, Lakota88 said:

It was my family's first trip to KI since COVID hit. I grew up in the area but moved out of state years ago. But I loved KI so much I started taking my daughter there when she was five. This year she took a friend with her. I mostly just walked around with them and watched them ride this time. But even though I only rode a few rides, it was so much fun watching her make some of the same great memories that I have.

As for the trip report,

The Good:

• The park looked gorgeous. I loved the 50th anniversary decorations, and the new paint jobs on many of the old attractions made them look brand new. The historic photo displays throughout the park are wonderful, too. And it was very clean, as usual.
  • The ongoing commitment to safety. When we were on the Viking Fury, one of the attendants stopped mid-preflight check and asked a guardian to let them doublecheck a child's height. It only took a moment to make the child get up and go get measured before letting him back on and starting the ride, but that showed me that the staff really care about the guidelines. Hats off to management and staff for that level of diligence. 
  • Guest behavior was exemplary all day. We saw no disturbances or line-jumping. I was a bit worried after seeing stories of recent fights at the park, but we saw no troublemakers all day. Security was visible but not obtrusive.
  • Dining, part 1. The Larosa's was delicious as always. Few things can top a couple of slices of Larosa's by the International Street fountain.

The Bad:

• The music. Since we hadn't been there since 2019 I'm not sure how long ago this changed, but the music on International Street is now big band-era jazz type music. I enjoy that type of music in general, but I really missed the sweeping, majestic soundtrack music that was there before. I mean, I love "Stompin' at the Savoy," but it pales in comparison to the theme from The Natural paired with the sound of the fountain for getting you excited about a day of fun.
  • Dining, part 2. The Skyline in Old Coney was incredibly disappointing. The buns were stale and the chili and wiener were lukewarm. That's the worst Skyline I've ever had anywhere, let alone at KI.

I too must agree that I dislike the park going cashless. It might be very convenient to some, but to others not the same.

I also miss the instrumental music on International Street. The jazz music isn’t terrible, but the instrumental music really made walking into Kings Island fell larger than life. The jazz music kind of feels out of place in my opinion for such a sweeping entrance. Hopefully, Kings Island brings back the old music sometime soon.

• Like 2