Is it fun to work at PKI?

flightoffear1996

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kings Island (ride-op team) has been the best job I have ever had. Just like Brad said before, it is something that could just make you ten times happier than you were before you entered the park. Nearly everything about the job is bound to make you happier; being around all of your favorite rides and practically living in the park for the summer, the enthusiastic visitors, your fun-loving coworkers, supervisors, managers, full-timers, being outside and enjoying the warm weather, or even staying after your open shift to play a few games of DDR in the festhaus. Everything about the job completely rocks! (especially if you join the DSS crew)

When the park advertises for the job fair it usually says something about, "Working here can be just as fun as your day off." Let me tell you that is "completely true." I didn't like it at first and didn't feel accepted but my crew is the coolest group of people in the world.(Brad,Brandon,Nick,Casey,Carolyn, D, Sups=Rolf and Josh, Cedric, little kid lovin' Andrew, The Rickster, Tyler, and above all my awesome Managers that actually talk to you about stuff other than work and getting on you about stuff. Most of the time they let us figure out or handle a situation which causes leadership qualities and makes us do a better job. So if yeah working at the park is definately fun as hell and has an "unlimited" amount of benefits. (Plus a free pass and tickets)

How do they work the free pass thing? Is it an actual pass or just liek you go into the employee entrance or something?

You get an ID card as soon as all of your paper work is done. Then no matter what to get into the park, or leave the park you have to scan in and out. No money needed what so ever.

This is a tough call.

Some days it's absolutely wonderful, like everyone has said.

Other days, as I get older and more experienced, I see many downfalls in working for the park.

I know I'll be there at least one more season, after I have my Masters degree, who knows

PKI is an awesome place to work! I had to leave in the middle of June this past season because of a church thing but I have to say that I had a blast working there. The days do get a little long at times but they are fun through and through. LIke any other job it does have its rough parts (BFFD, Teen Mix night things, and the overall hot weather)--but the Good...no no the GREAT parts of this job out weighs that tremendously! I would say go get a job in the Rides department b.c. it is by far the best area to work in.

TRTR is, well, a blast. Every year it gets better to work the park. The first year can be bad, though. Mine was. Generally most people that have been in the park a while don't like the "newbies;" they're harder to train and obviously have less experience. But, I've noticed that the new people have been getting treated a lot better lately. Anyway, back to the job, it's great. You get to work with fun people and in an environment that only a very few couldn't stand at all. I personally like working on TRTR because I love the atmosphere, being able to scare people extremely easily, and seeing the ride operate from an angle that very few people get to be in.

Their isn't that much of a difference in training among rides. Everyone gets the basic knowledge on how to spot small kids and check their height, how to handle puke and guest problems, etc. The only real differences in training are how to check each ride's restaints and how you have to watch the ride and guests for their safety. The two rides that are the most different from the other rides in the park would have to be SDATHC and TRTR. On Scooby Doo, you have to constantly walk (you'd better be ready to walk a few miles), and on TRTR you have additional positions besides restraint checker. You have a "people counter" (also on AT) and you have a "article taker and small child watcher." Also on TRTR, you probably get asked more ride related questions than at least half the other rides combined.

If you want to stay at one position all day, they normally will let you, but you most likely wont want to. Of course, I have seen one person ask to work from open to close at the exit of Zephyr, and actually did it! The supervisors are pretty good at rotating people from one position to another.

I can't say what it's like to work IN the park, but promoting the park in the PR Department has by far been the BEST job I've ever had! Getting to go to work everyday and work with people like Jeff Siebert, Maureen Kaiser and Stevie B - doesn't get any better than that! In fact, Steve and I start back tomorrow for our second season at PKI and I can't wait!!!!

I wanna work at PKI this season I hope if I get hired I will be working at the haunted castle.

Why SDATHC? Do you just like the ride, what you'd be doing working on the ride, or both? This is something you really need to consider when deciding what ride to work on. It's the reason I decided to return to TRTR even though IJST seemed like a very appealing ride to me.

You have to rotate. Unless there is a huge staffing problem, you will most likely be rotating. It might take a while for the 'newbies' to get trained to drive the ride, though. So they will get rotated between say, being greeter and checking restraints on Delirium.

As for getting trained on Delirium, it all is easy until the new person or send gets trained to rotate on our floor. Since all three seat-checking people rotate every cycle, it does get a little confusing figuring out who is picking up loose articles, who is checking seats 25-1, and who is checking seats 26-50. Other than that, it's entirely easy. The people there are normally a blast to work with, and even though you may get 'grilled' on Delirium's reflective floor panels, you walk off with a pretty impressive (farmers) tan. Delirium, like Drop Zone, is also a little different from the other rides, not only because all of the seat-checkers rotate every cycle, but because we check seats in the most comfortable and efficient way possible. IN A CIRCLE.

I think pki was fun for me for a few reasons: the atmosphere, the rides, and the people that work them.

As for getting trained on Delirium, it all is easy until the new person or send gets trained to rotate on our floor. Since all three seat-checking people rotate every cycle, it does get a little confusing figuring out who is picking up loose articles, who is checking seats 25-1, and who is checking seats 26-50.

You know, it really helps lessen the confusion when you're not only checking in a straight line, but also when you've got rows to work with--you always know where you are. Circle? Ha! If it weren't for the seat numbers you'd have no idea where you start or finish.

Now how do you like them apples, DD?

You have to rotate. Unless there is a huge staffing problem, you will most likely be rotating. It might take a while for the 'newbies' to get trained to drive the ride, though. So they will get rotated between say, being greeter and checking restraints on Delirium.

As for getting trained on Delirium, it all is easy until the new person or send gets trained to rotate on our floor. Since all three seat-checking people rotate every cycle, it does get a little confusing figuring out who is picking up loose articles, who is checking seats 25-1, and who is checking seats 26-50. Other than that, it's entirely easy. The people there are normally a blast to work with, and even though you may get 'grilled' on Delirium's reflective floor panels, you walk off with a pretty impressive (farmers) tan. Delirium, like Drop Zone, is also a little different from the other rides, not only because all of the seat-checkers rotate every cycle, but because we check seats in the most comfortable and efficient way possible. IN A CIRCLE.

I think pki was fun for me for a few reasons: the atmosphere, the rides, and the people that work them.

Was that why that thing happened at Racer? The lapbars aren't in a circle? biggrin.gif Just joking! You know I love you. wink.gif

Was that why that thing happened at Racer? The lapbars aren't in a circle? biggrin.gif Just joking! You know I love you. wink.gif

Well, kinda... I mean, um.... I learned my lesson after numerous people from Coney tried mauling me for the next two weeks after the incident, but... I'm not a big fan of working on coasters. I prefer to check bars in a circle. It's easy, and things like that racer incident won't happen on Delirium, becuase you know where you left off, and you can't exactly cross through the middle of the gondola. Besides, Hablo, you were on monster when that happened.

...and I love you too.

Here's what you need to consider Scoob...

You won't be at Haunted Castle a lot, you'll be there sometimes, but not every single day, your other rides will be Pixie and Dixies Swings, Jetson Jet Orbitors, Boulder BumperCars and the thing they call squid. So, you need to think if you'd mind spending a 16 hour shift at one of those rides as well (which you wouldn't unless it was an emergency.)

Anyways, I'd try to work in the park, it can be hard or easy to fit in, Alien Seed (good ol Jeff Kohorst) had trouble fitting in he says, I had none at all. It just dependson how outgoing you are. Good luck either way, and don't be annoying about anything either, cus that gets you no where.

Here's what you need to consider Scoob...

You won't be at Haunted Castle a lot, you'll be there sometimes, but not every single day, your other rides will be Pixie and Dixies Swings, Jetson Jet Orbitors, Boulder BumperCars and the thing they call squid. So, you need to think if you'd mind spending a 16 hour shift at one of those rides as well (which you wouldn't unless it was an emergency.)

Anyways, I'd try to work in the park, it can be hard or easy to fit in, Alien Seed (good ol Jeff Kohorst) had trouble fitting in he says, I had none at all. It just dependson how outgoing you are. Good luck either way, and don't be annoying about anything either, cus that gets you no where.

I like spending long hours at one ride, occasionally, just not day after day after day.