Renovated Tower Gardens Opens

BoddaH1994

On 5/28/2022 at 3:27 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

How you’re hearing this from me and not from the news media is beyond me. 
FED844F5-DBE8-469A-A7DB-49954F9E4AA2.jpegE9D5136C-0928-4A7A-A46E-D53B22FE7980.jpegFA05A8EB-5C0B-4C97-BEF2-715FF444E173.jpeg1CE91765-AA26-4762-BE63-67202CCB9C5A.jpeg73936442-7BF2-4D02-929F-48AE9878E5B3.jpeg1CE91765-AA26-4762-BE63-67202CCB9C5A.jpeg73936442-7BF2-4D02-929F-48AE9878E5B3.jpeg2D72BF4E-4C09-4931-B18E-0E08C3F03FAD.jpeg22C5D217-91C6-42F6-8B60-99FA52315F8E.jpeg
image.jpg

***I love, love, love this! ****  The tribute to Nick Universe and the "short-lived return of Winterfest" makes me super-nostalgic! I remember that!

Can this stay up? =)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oldiesmann said:

Glad they finally decided to put that area to good use again. I wonder what they'll do with it during Haunt since they usually have CornStalkers back there (and a family-friendly area during the day).

Good question-they didn’t do the maze out behind WindSeeker last year, so they could reopen that to keep the balance. They didn’t do the hay maze last year because of corn stalkers being there. 

• Like 3

On 5/30/2022 at 5:33 PM, Rivertown Rider said:

The most depressing sentence in park history is found at the end of the 2004 stone.20220529_150403.jpg

The top brings joy, the bottom brings pain. 

I strolled around the gardens on Monday, I was very impressed with the detail and the dedication they put into the whole history walk. 

• Like 3

Finally got up here without the kids and could really take time reading in the area. Well thought out. Only unfortunate thing, they used super temporary lighting for the signs and some of the towers. The “stake in the ground” lights have pretty much all been stepped on, knocked over and half aren’t even shining on anything. I actually came out with black fingers from sticking them all back in the mulch-refocusing, and burying mulch back around them to hold them in position.  The combo of cheaping out on the fixtures, and crazy people totally focused on stupid Instagram pics next to towers, climbing into the flower beds is making this fall apart quicker than it should. Looks like they did try to light a lot with the overhead rigs, but the ground fixtures are failing. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 10:14 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

I had sent pictures to the park of kids climbing on these Eiffel Towers the very first day it was open.  These signs shouldn't be needed but it looks like they got them added.

Photo_1654265525579.jpg

And now-ironically a few of the signs are now broken from people stepping on them. Ugh…public!!!

Yep, here is a rare picture of Snoopy not being climbed on despite 4 labels not to climb...

image.png

Basically if it can be climbed on, kids will do it and the parents don't say a thing.  Usually you see a parent here telling the kid to climb hire on Snoopy for the picture :angry:

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 6:15 PM, brenthodge said:

I don’t blame the kids-I blame the entitlement of parents who feel “I paid good money to get in here and my baby can do anything he wants”. I HATE to deal with parents like that. 

You would have loved working at Beastie in 2005, when they raised the minimum height from 36 to 40 inches. All of the "my kid rode it last year so they should be able to ride it this year too" people...

Finally got to see this area at night Sat (after fixing again a lot of the ground stake lighting LOL-it’s now my unofficial job) and was honestly a bit disappointed. The concept of this area is brilliant and a wonderful addition, but it totally does not take advantage at all of all the lighting in the area. I know I get accused of arm chairing, but my wish:

refocus the LED floods in 2 ways. 1) white on the paths in a more uniform way to evenly illuminate the history stones. As of now there are just random white spots throughout

2) set colors on the others to wash the areas with the towers in those related colors (or to subtle cross fade washes-the capabilities are there) 

then with the elipsoidal projection fixtures-

1) actually frame light the vertical sign throughout. These can be used to accurately light these -and could even be moved from pole to pole as needed to hit them all

2) use the others to project patters on the related towers like stars for Orion, glowing eyes for Beast etc. and also project 50th logo, original logo, each revised logo (without the actual paramount if violates copyright) along the path in the respective order. 

would’ve even been cool to have used old soundtracks or ride spiels in each “tower garden” to take this from passive history lesson to more engaging evening attraction  

Just random thoughts. I love that they did what they did  just think with all the tech in that area they could’ve done more without a ton more expense  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

FYI - If you haven't taken the time to walk through, do so.  At some point they'll probably close it in order to prep for Haunt and WF.  I hope they keep/bring back the signage next season...  obviously the pavers will stay.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Walked through this yesterday. What a great way to activate this space and bring some new life into this beautiful respite! Remember when this was just a trashy smoking area under a previous administration? How far the park has come!

My only other comment with this is that I'm genuinely surprised there is no mention of Gary Wachs or even Charlie Mechem. They did such a nice job paying tribute to Rick Bastrup in the Phantom Theater Encore lobby, I'm baffled why they didn't do the same thing for the park's founders! In fact, there's no substantiative mention of either of them ANYWHERE in the park at all this year. When you go to Carowinds, E. Pat Hall is on everything, when you go to Hersheypark, Milton Hershey is everywhere, etc. Just a really bizarre choice for Kings Island, especially for its 50th Anniversary.

P.S. Bring back the waterfall!! :D

• Like 6

On 8/19/2022 at 7:22 AM, gforce1994 said:

The park is named Kings Island, not Wachsland.

He is still a big part of the history. I still wish the “kid” in off the rails had been named Gary. Would’ve been a subtle nod to a “dreamer who put his all into doing amazing things” without being too obvious. 

• Like 3

On 8/19/2022 at 7:22 AM, gforce1994 said:

The park is named Kings Island, not Wachsland.

Had this man not had the vision and grit to do what he did, there would be no KI, KD, Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds would likely be industrial warehouses.  Please show some respect for the man who brought all of this to life.

• Like 5