Employment Question

TopThrill

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally, coasters are extremely easy. The hardest part about them is knowing exactly what you and everyone else should be doing in the event of a *fill in emergency here*. If you work FOF, the two hardest parts are remembering where all the fire extinguishers are (do you still remember UncleHenry), and where everyone should be and what they should be doing in the event of a fire. (Keep in mind, almost everything in the building is either some kind of metal or concrete, very little wood, very little anything that is actually flammable...yet you must know this stuff anyways)

The two hardest parts are remembering where all the fire extinguishers are (do you still remember UncleHenry), and where everyone should be and what they should be doing in the event of a fire.  (Keep in mind, almost everything in the building is either some kind of metal or concrete, very little wood, very little anything that is actually flammable...yet you must know this stuff anyways)

Hey, if Lake Erie can catch on fire, anything's possible. I agree with you LongLiveBeast, dealing with guest issues is by far the hardest part of the job, especially height checks. Also, working on any ride in the heat of the summer is tough, but it's a great job, you learn a lot, not just about rides. I fully believe that the experience you get from working at PKI can help you with any job you'll ever have. But the training is a piece of cake, it's pretty thorough, but it's not hard stuff.

I think it would be fun to turn down people just too short to ride. Well not fun but it wouldn't be really that hard for me cause I know the importance of what that extra inch or half an inch could do. (different case but ask the Titans) Back on topic.

So is PKI willing to give you like the hours you want, the time off when you need it?

Thanks for the replays. I am 19, would I be able to fully operate the ride, or do I have to be 21? And yes when Im in line, I can tell that the employes are having a blast. Im going to try to get The Beast and or Face/Off. For the training is there like a date you show up for it? cool.gif

Thanks for the replays. I am 19, would I be able to fully operate the ride, or do I have to be 21? And yes when Im in line, I can tell that the employes are having a blast. Im going to try to get The Beast and or Face/Off. For the training is there like a date you show up for it? cool.gif

There are training days usually the 2 weekends before the park opens. You have to be 16 to work in rides, so don't worry about age.

A little off subject...but I remember a couple of years ago while waiting in line for Vortex. A little boy was (just barely) too short to ride...he started crying when the ride op told him. His dad tried to console him. The kid was not "bratty"...he was just dissapointed he couldn't ride. It was a sad sight...but what made it bad was a lot of the crowd started chanting "let him ride...let him ride"...then booing when the kid was walking away. I felt so bad for the ride op. You could tell he was uncomfortable. It was the only time I saw that kind of mob mentality...but i'm guessing it happens more than I know...unfortunatly.

The rides aren't hard to operate at all. Just pushing buttons and watching people. However, to do this you must learn alot of information. There is a buttload of info you have to know inside and out and it does take a while. If your a newbie then don't expect to be taught how to drive right away---you will definity be a restraint dummy for the first few months and maybe even longer...

It depends on what benefits you are talking about. They have something called, 'funcentive points'- these are given to employees demonstrating the behavior and fun they are looking for. Say, if you get a good GR from a guest, you will personally get a certain amount of points that can go towards anything you want from their funcentive store. They have a lot of stuff there from pki merchandice to Cedar Point and holiday world tickets.

Other things are just given- they hold events normally during employee appreciation week, or just random, like RIDES NIGHT- where all employees get to ride some of an area's rides after the park closes, and you get free food. Cookie Day- where employees are given free cookies and soda that day. Punch Day- where your crew gets a containter of kool-aid mix, so you have something else to drink on the job besides water. Games night- when employees get to play certain coney arcade games for free (yes, this includes all 3 games of DDR) for a period of time after the park closes.

Stuff like that sometimes make the job even more worthwhile.

The only benefit I can think of that you have to work your way up to getting is more free tickets (Returners get more than First-Years)

Yes you can test the rides, but you usually have to do it on your break. You can ride "on the clock" sometimes if there are enough people working on the ride with you.

Yeah I know you wouldn't mind being a restraint dummy at first, but after a while, and after the initial shock and magic of the job dissappears you will want to do more than just bend over and check restraints all day. Being in an airconditioned box is very very nice on a hott day! Trust me~ But then once you become a driver and you drive all the time you once again gain respect for checking bars and you love being on the floor again.

Yeah I know you wouldn't mind being a restraint dummy at first, but after a while, and after the initial shock and magic of the job dissappears you will want to do more than just bend over and check restraints all day. Being in an airconditioned box is very very nice on a hott day! Trust me~ But then once you become a driver and you drive all the time you once again gain respect for checking bars and you love being on the floor again.

I'm going into my 5th year in the park as a normal ride-op, and I haven't lost the magic yet. In fact, every year I enjoy the job even more. That's what you call obsessed.

I believe they open up to applications on the 10th, but I'm not sure. My advise is to apply during a job fair, because there will be a lot of people there, and the chances of getting turned down are pretty slim.

And, yes, you can only pick one ride, but that ride may/may not be paired with another ride or rides. For example, if you were to join my crew, you would be working Delirium and Slingshot the entire season long. This doesn't mean you won't get the chance to work Son of Beast or Drop Zone, because you will always get that chance if their crews are understaffed for that day, and you will have to get 'sent' there.

If you wanted to work Reptar, then that ride is paired with several other HB rides as well, so there will be much rotating-although I wouldn't advise choosing an HB crew- it does stuff to ya.

There are single/non-paired up rides you can choose, such as Skyflyer, TRTR, and WWC, in which the only rotations are within that one ride.

Amen about the whole whining to Drive thing, there was only one person who didn't get trained to drive on my ride last year and all he did was complain about not getting to drive... uhmm he was also a moron, but i think that is also a common fact. Most people know who i'm talking about. I know other rides with the same policy, if all you can do is whine about not being able to do something rather than taking the responsibilities you have first you'll never get somewhere at KI, i've cleaned 4 Vobans in one day at work, its part of the job, puke duty and checking restraints along with driving a coaster or whatever ride you are working at.