Phantom Theater Encore Reviews

Cedar Fair Fanboy

13 minutes ago, Timchat2 said:

Phantom Theater Encore ends August 14th according to the official site along with the Street Party, Club KI and 70s On Demand. Off the Rails is scheduled to run until August 21st.

Interesting—Off the Rails was previously listed as ending August 14 and Phantom Theater Encore was previously listed as ending August 21.

• Like 2

I don't have a print park guide handy but I want to say it lists those end dates as well.

I would certainly like for Phantom Theater to run a little longer. It's such a fun little world they've created and the ad lib lines and character beats the cast has sprinkled in throughout the run have been great!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It was SO COOL to see the house PACKED yesterday at 5 for Phantom. I had to sit extreme house left - front row since I was running there form the 4:30 Off the Rails (where I ALSO had to sit house left - shows were ROCKING on a packed day yesterday) I'm SO impressed that people seem to be appreciating the effort that went into this this year - give me more of this and I'll take a year or two (or three) off the CapEx train. This park has had a more well-rounded, full family slate of offerings this year than any I remember since the early years. 

• Like 5

On 7/28/2022 at 7:55 PM, Timchat2 said:

I don't have a print park guide handy but I want to say it lists those end dates as well.

I would certainly like for Phantom Theater to run a little longer. It's such a fun little world they've created and the ad lib lines and character beats the cast has sprinkled in throughout the run have been great!

Agree on the AdLibbing. You could tell the cast was in thew home stretch at yesterdays 5pm. Lots of mugging, ad-libbing and ribbing back and forth with the audience AND each other. Having seem the show quite a bit this season it was so cool to see the "real human" aspect of the cast.

• Like 7

I'm in a state of mourning. Hands down the best show I've ever seen at Kings Island. I never experienced the ride, but when I first saw Maestro spin around on the organ, I was into the story of it all .

I'm an elderly person, but it really is inexplicable magic to put into words, song and dance the characters that were made back in 1992.  A ride was brought to life. 

Lines are in my head: " they say it isn't over til after I sing, but they didn't mention the scariest thing!  When I hit a note that's a little too high, someone round me's about toooo--aaaahhh die!" (Are Hilda and Eve sisters?)

• Like 4

Saw the 4:00 and the 5:00 show on the last day of the show.  The public's reaction to this show is simply the biggest show of support and love I have ever seen for a show at KI and I have been to several last performances.  The 4 o'clock show went into the overflow and every seat except the last 2 center rows were filled.  The 5 o'clock show had about 30 less people than the 4 o'clock.  The line for the 4 o'clock show stretched down to Delerium 25 minutes before the show and (because the went the other way) down to the women's restroom for the 5 o'clock show 25 minutes before the start of the show.

Both crowds were definitely into the performances but the 5 crowd was definitely the most enthused.  My hands actually were sore from clapping so much.  Clapping along to Welcome to the Theatre, Happy Feet and the entire finale & curtain call. 

The cast was definitely on point and had so many special moments in both shows.   For example Boris hugging instead of threatening  Houdilini before Caught in the Ropes, Maestro hitting the high note along with Hilda when she breaks his 2nd glass of wine.

For both shows the cast definitely fed off of the audience and vice-versa.  Again, it was simply a one of a kind show and outpouring of love to the cast and from the cast back to the fans.  The adlibs didn't detract from the show but were a nice nod the the regulars who watch the show.

Maestro said, and I'm paraphrasing, "We won't be back until at least next Summer".  I was clapping and didn't catch Larry's line but I believe he did confirm the return next season of the show!  Can anyone else confirm what Larry said?  I also overheard that they have a 3 year contract.  Seems to me the would do the same show next year and then change it for the 24 season to fall in line with the return of the Phantom Theatre ride!  Just speculation but that would make alot of sense and keep the interest and excitement up for the rides return.

Once again to the cast and everyone involved with the show you have simply created, in my opinion and the opinion of many others, the best show ever to be at Kings Island.  From the conception, to the writing, choreography, direction and the execution the show is simply perfection.  Thanks for giving us a memorable experience many of us, along with all of you, will never forget.

Here's to your hopeful return next year.  But even you it doesn't come back, know that you have cemented yourselfs in the lore of Kings Island Live Entertainment group.  Well done and Bravo!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, robintodd said:

Saw the 4:00 and the 5:00 show on the last day of the show.  The public's reaction to this show is simply the biggest show of support and love I have ever seen for a show at KI and I have been to several last performances.  The 4 o'clock show went into the overflow and every seat except the last 2 center rows were filled.  The 5 o'clock show had about 30 less people than the 4 o'clock.  The line for the 4 o'clock show stretched down to Delerium 25 minutes before the show and (because the went the other way) down to the women's restroom for the 5 o'clock show 25 minutes before the start of the show.

Both crowds were definitely into the performances but the 5 crowd was definitely the most enthused.  My hands actually were sore from clapping so much.  Clapping along to Welcome to the Theatre, Happy Feet and the entire finale & curtain call. 

The cast was definitely on point and had so many special moments in both shows.   For example Boris hugging instead of threatening  Houdilini before Caught in the Ropes, Maestro hitting the high note along with Hilda when she breaks his 2nd glass of wine.

For both shows the cast definitely fed off of the audience and vice-versa.  Again, it was simply a one of a kind show and outpouring of love to the cast and from the cast back to the fans.  The adlibs didn't detract from the show but were a nice nod the the regulars who watch the show.

Maestro said, and I'm paraphrasing, "We won't be back until at least next Summer".  I was clapping and didn't catch Larry's line but I believe he did confirm the return next season of the show!  Can anyone else confirm what Larry said?  I also overheard that they have a 3 year contract.  Seems to me the would do the same show next year and then change it for the 24 season to fall in line with the return of the Phantom Theatre ride!  Just speculation but that would make alot of sense and keep the interest and excitement up for the rides return.

Once again to the cast and everyone involved with the show you have simply created, in my opinion and the opinion of many others, the best show ever to be at Kings Island.  From the conception, to the writing, choreography, direction and the execution the show is simply perfection.  Thanks for giving us a memorable experience many of us, along with all of you, will never forget.

Here's to your hopeful return next year.  But even you it doesn't come back, know that you have cemented yourselfs in the lore of Kings Island Live Entertainment group.  Well done and Bravo!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it was said at the very end of the show . We won't be back until at least next summer. I did hear it. Was at the last 2 shows also. The best show I have ever seen Kings Island do.

• Like 3

Fantastic show and fantastic performers, Kings Island would almost be a fool to not bring back this attraction in some way as I think they’ve realized by the amount of support the shows gotten how much they messed up in removing the attraction. 

• Like 2

Glad to hear it's supposedly coming back! I very much enjoyed the show. :D Though Larry was my favorite character, I thought all of the cast did a phenomenal job and can't wait to return to the Theatre next year.

For reference, my last shows were Saturday's 4 and 5 PM shows - the line for those stretched towards the front gate (near wheelchair rental)... it's true when Maestro said that people "[adore] the Phantom Theater".

Got to see the show one more time on Saturday.  Me and my entire family loved this show and looking forward to it coming back next year.

Do the KI performers still have their own Facebook or web page?  I remember it years ago but cannot find it now.

I may be odd man out here. I saw the show 3 times. I thought it was very well done, a great throwback to a classic ride. After seeing it 3 times, I had no desire to see it again. I really wanted to spend the time I dedicated to a show watching another show. I honestly could not get enough of the Off The Rails. 

• Like 1

See, I'm at the other end of the spectrum... I only saw it 4 times, and I wish I would have seen it a few more times. But, to each their own. :)

My feelings on Phantom throughout this season reminds me of my typical Cirque cycle, but on a smaller scale (because I saw less showings)... some seasons I come out of the first show not "getting it", and the more I see it, the more I start to appreciate it. On my first PT:E showing, I didn't know what to think. But over time, I got attached as it was a very unique show and also Larry endeared himself to me.

• Like 1

Shows, like roller coasters, have people that like different things.  For the roller coaster you hate, it is someone's favorite.  Same with the shows.

Ed Alonso had a great following.  Cirque had a great following.  This show had a great following.  Some people are huge fans of all 3.  Others are only fans of one or two of them.

Variety is great, not only in the ride offerings, but the shows.  It is great to see KI get back to more unique type shows in each venue.  Who remembers when it seemed like every show in every venue was some sort of all new musical review show, usually to a pre-recorded music track....

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MaestroJr said:

Seems that somebody messed up the decal on the front of the Phantom cars, I hate people sometimes. C4A13F17-B79C-4AD9-AEDE-36613BD68E8C.jpeg

Yep, it seemed like every time I would walk past it, parents are telling their kids to hop on it for a picture, despite the no climbing signs... 

Ki can n should be the Knotts of the Midwest a few great dark rides fortge park. A Peanuts tgrough the patch at Halliween Christmas Snoopy n gang n regular Spring summer ride. N phantom not too scary the Maestro revenge or da return. 

N then a shootem up ride . 

Maybe an enclosed section on log flume w Snoopy o. Water fun. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I may be odd man out here. I saw the show 3 times. I thought it was very well done, a great throwback to a classic ride. After seeing it 3 times, I had no desire to see it again. I really wanted to spend the time I dedicated to a show watching another show. I honestly could not get enough of the Off The Rails. 

Saw the show 15 times and would see it another 15.  The thing about this show is the cast did add little touches to change up the performances and those of us who saw the show often would notice but not many others would.  There was also the time Maestro completely blanked on his line and it was nice to see his "recovery".  It wasn't just a throwback to a classic ride but a nod to the productions that used to be in that building.  It is rare to see a theme park with a theatre that has a double fly system.  That is, you can raise a back drop/set completely up and out of view from the audience (like the bags in caught in the ropes).  Most shows in recent years never used that.  For me, I've had the songs from the show going through my head since Sunday.  

Off the Rails is fantastic as well (I only saw it 5 times).  I think it comes down to personal preference and with my background in theatre I find live performances like Phantom to be extremely enjoyable.  I hope we do get one more year with it just so others can enjoy it that didn't make it to the park this year.  The show is so unique and specific to our park and if we do get a ride like Phantom back you'll have this show to thank since it showed the enthusiasm that exists for the original ride.

Finally, I'll say it again.  I have never seen an audience so engaged and full of energy as I did that last performance.  The performers fed of off it.  It's an experience at the park I'll never forget.  But then again I may be the exception as I'm still singing and doing the routines in my head from the Celebration show 40 years ago :)

I think the one thing we can agree on is they live entertainment department definitely stepped it up this year and hopefully they will keep it up for years to come!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Shows, like roller coasters, have people that like different things.  For the roller coaster you hate, it is someone's favorite.  Same with the shows.

Ed Alonso had a great following.  Cirque had a great following.  This show had a great following.  Some people are huge fans of all 3.  Others are only fans of one or two of them.

Variety is great, not only in the ride offerings, but the shows.  It is great to see KI get back to more unique type shows in each venue.  Who remembers when it seemed like every show in every venue was some sort of all new musical review show, usually to a pre-recorded music track....

I DO ! :)  

There are two aspects of significance to the popularity of PTE:

1. Let’s get this out of the way: we can hope and pray that this put a worm in whomever’s ear about the ride’s return.

2. The public reacts very positively to in-house developed shows. There’s nothing wrong with the “Tappin’ Along to the 60’s-ish” shows we’ve had, but Cedar Fair has the means, Kings Island has the talent, and the audience has the capacity for much, much more. 

11 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Blasphemy. 

In all seriousness, I feel like that show was terribly underrated and unfairly sat in PTE’s shadow. That was the best daytime show I’d ever seen in that theater by a long shot. 

Those are two shows that were higher budget, developed in-house, went over very well, and packed the seats. We can be next level from here on out or go back to the status quo. Your move, Cedar Fair. 

• Like 5

Not sure how much “in house” totally drove the development of those shoes. The corporate director of live entertainment was the one always talking about all of the entertainment, and I believe the director of live entertainment for Knotts actually wrote PTE. I think it was awesome that they were very site specific, but I don’t think they were fully developed in house. 

12 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Not sure how much “in house” totally drove the development of those shoes. The corporate director of live entertainment was the one always talking about all of the entertainment, and I believe the director of live entertainment for Knotts actually wrote PTE. I think it was awesome that they were very site specific, but I don’t think they were fully developed in house. 

By “in house” I mean original songs, character development, etc. My understanding is that the development was very much on the corporate side as well, not necessarily developed solely by KI. 

I arrived back home from interning this summer at Hersheypark on August 13, and I'm so glad I came back just in the nick of time! I was able to catch the 2:30 and 5:00 showings on Sunday and immensely enjoyed them. The music was catchy, the script was funny, and all the actors and actresses and dancers really put in a lot of effort. The audience was very engaged during both showings. There were lots of great references to the ride, and it's awesome to have the characters and music back in the park again in a prominent place! And of course, the lobby display was fantastic! Seeing photos and videos of the show and lobby all summer has been great, but it was even better to finally see it in person.

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
On 2/16/2023 at 8:07 PM, beastfan11 said:

Looks like yet another Encore may be upon us. 

0FCB617A-4F83-477D-BFE0-D0A1D0732C51.jpeg

maybe - no official confirmation. Thats just an image with the type of acts they are casting for being performed. Could be a totally different concept. They also used an image from the 70's Fetshaus Show for vocalists and Im not taking that as confirmation that show is returning. I for one hope it DOESN'T return. Keep the "lightning in a bottle" effect.