Group Volunteer Program

PkiJake13

What is the Group Volunteer Program, it says on their site it's for hard to staff days? What is it and what do you do, is it like a job? If it is how old do you have to be to do it? Do you work rides, food, games, gift shops? Also what days do you know to contact the park to see if they will let you work?

-Jake

Essentially, the Group Volunteer Program is for groups to raise money. My uncle is a coordinator for my local cub scout pack and has volunteered numerous times. I even volunteered one day and spent 7 hours working at the Subway by The Racer.

Essentially, you and your group select a shift to work. The park will pay your group money for the hours you work (something like $5 or $6 an hour, and yes, you actually clock in and out). Additionally, they will give the individuals two to four tickets to visit the park either later in the year, or if you are volunteering in late August, September or October for the following season. When I volunteered, my uncle and I worked in foods. Although, my Uncle has also worked in games and at a merchandise shop in the former Water Works (he is up there a lot volunteering, and the volunteer office people know him pretty well and they know the names of his kids, LOL). In order to volunteer, you MUST be 18. They strictly enforce this rule. The program is to help them staff on busier days, or when they are short staffed. It is a great way to earn some money for a group, spend some time with the very cool park employees and experience the park from a different angle if you don`t work there as a seasonal. Also, after your shift is over, if the park is still open, you will get to enter the park for free. I don`t think volunteers run rides, but they might if they are really short staffed. Food services usually pays out the most tickets. Try calling the phone number for the Volunteer program for more information.

• Like 1

• 15 years later...

Cedar Point does it during Halloweekends for college kids, you work in rides in non safety positions (entrance and crowd/separator), earn the wage they are paying on that day for their fraternity or college sport. They also do it in Merchandise, Games, and Park Sweeps. Most of the time it's very hard work, I almost feel bad for them because their bodies aren't conditioned to it like ours are, and they work all day, Saturday and Sunday.

On 1/22/2020 at 6:30 AM, Joshua said:

I can't seem to find any information on it. This thread is 15 years old, back when KI was still PKI. Maybe the park doesn't offer this program anymore? 

They had these types working at WF - people working in street clothes with handwritten name tags. Easy to spot...

This program isn't something you sign up for as an individual. As others have pointed out, it is for groups/organizations and not some individual random enthusiast wanting to volunteer for a day...

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

They had these types working at WF - people working in street clothes with handwritten name tags. Easy to spot...

This program isn't something you sign up for as an individual. As others have pointed out, it is for groups/organizations and not some individual random enthusiast wanting to volunteer for a day...

I've only been to WF twice, briefly, since CF brought it back. I simply haven't noticed the volunteers.  The most detailed post about it was from 2005 (the second most came several days after I posted), I tried to find information on it but didn't, and answered with honest doubt (hence the question mark and the word "maybe"), so I could do without the condescending dots.

Please understand that not everyone here is as knowledgeable on every single tiny aspect of the park's operations nor are able to make it the park as often as others. In fact, during Winter 2018, my family was still dealing with the passing of my father and this winter, we are dealing with something easily as dire. On top of that, it's just a really busy time of the year and the park is open far less often. Even without a crisis, it's a miracle whenever I make it to Haunt or Winterfest anymore.

Also, the user who inquired on the program is new, with only 2 posts. How do we know they are a "random enthusiast" and not part of a group that's interested in volunteering for the park? 

^this is an enthusiast site not officially affiliated with the park.  Others would have simply said that and would say call the park for more information.  My post was simply pointing out it wasn't for individual purposes to save that person from bothering the park.  If that person was with a group they should have been more clear....

This site is full of assumptions...

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

^this is an enthusiast site not officially affiliated with the park.  Others would have simply said that and would say call the park for more information.  My post was simply pointing out it wasn't for individual purposes to save that person from bothering the park.  If that person was with a group they should have been more clear....

This site is full of assumptions...

I apologize for not saying "call the park for more information." Someone else did, so what's the harm? Sometimes people don't think to say certain things. It's really not that big of a deal.