B&M Launched Stand Up Coaster Coming to SeaWorld Orlando in 2023

Some people on KIC have been calling for a return of the stand-up coaster. I, myself, never had an issue with Mantis. I just assumed this was a fad that faded away, like other gimmick designs (think flying coasters). If it's a successful installation, could we see this return to a CF park? Only time will tell.

• Like 1

The reason I personally preferred KC over any B&M standup was simple.  It only had one inversion.  The B&M's have inversion after inversion, thus the pressure on your legs/groin increases throughout the ride.

I've ridden Chang, Riddler's Revenge, Georgia Scorcher, Iron Wolf, Mantis and Vortex.  I also rode King Cobra, Skyrider and Shockwave.  The Togos were a far more enjoyable ride to me.

• Like 3

I agree, 110% Shaggy.  I thoroughly enjoyed King Cobra.  The B&M standups, especially the large one like Mantis and Riddler`s Revenge just put too much force on your legs to the point it was uncomfortable.  King Cobra had a similar feeling, but its intensity and length of duration were much less than on the B&M counterparts.  I personally was sad when King Cobra left KI.  I was fortunate enough to have experienced all three Togo standups you mentioned before they were removed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Browntggrr said:

2 across seating standing is interesting.

I wonder if that has to do with lighter trains that will put less forces on the riders.

The forces on the riders/ rider's legs on KC was not uncomfortable compared to Mantis.

What did B&M change on the surf model compared to the stand up version? I Rode Vortex not to long ago at Carowinds and that was so painful the Inversions are so hard on your legs.

Diversity in a ride line-up seems like a good thing.  I still love Kings Island but when SOB was around and King Cobra and even Recar the park seemed like it offered just as much as they do today if not perhaps a little bit more then.   As for being two across I think there's a few reasons.  More compact layout, quicker dispatches,  and just that vest restraints take up more horizontal space.   It doesn't have to be a top 10 ride or even the best ride at the park.  It just needs to be a fun ride that's a little different.  At one point it seemed as though the stand-up was a staple at the major parks,  I wish it still was. 

• Like 3

^Try riding a stand up, even a smaller one, after a full day walking through a park and you'll understand.

Also, designs for the 'seat' may be disadvantageous to the men out there.  

Standing up also doesn't allow for you to brace against the restraints very well either.  Its a very rigid way to ride a coaster. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Orion742 said:

What did B&M change on the surf model compared to the stand up version? I Rode Vortex not to long ago at Carowinds and that was so painful the Inversions are so hard on your legs.

Two big differences that I can see:

2 across seating vs. 4 across- the outside seats will have more pressure on the rider due to what I'm guessing is centerline over the rails not being in line with the heartline like the inside riders.

Launch vs. lift hill- the bottom of the initial drop on Mantis was one one the worst spots for myself if my legs were not bent just the right way.  The launch will put more stress on your body being pushed back into the restraints as opposed to being pushed down.

Here is an article from 2020 on the B&M standup redesign & Seaworld: https://www.coaster101.com/2020/09/28/bolliger-mabillard-files-patent-for-stand-up-coaster-restraint/

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Orion742 said:

Supposedly the seats are supposed to be on more of a hydraulic/articulating seat that will create a vertical dampening on forces making the ride both smoother and easier on the body and legs than the old standup coaster that were fixed in place.

• Like 3