Offseason Rehab Pics!

Hello everybody!

I know we traditionally update on Mondays, but this week has been hectic with me being sick and Dane going back to school, so I figured I'd supply you with a couple of pictures to tide you over until the Italian Job Constuction Tour on Jan. 14th.

These seven photos were donated by an employee by the name of Jerry Borchert and display various rides and areas of the park going through winter rehab. Take this as a teaser as to what you'll see during the construction tour. Click here to see yet another exclusive update from your complete and ultimate guide to Paramount's Kings Island, PKICentral.com!

Once again, don't forget that the IJST construction tour is January 14th at 9am. We're meeting at security post 3, just like every other similiar event. Be there or.... just checkout PKIC for an update later that day!

Regards,

Ryan

Wow!

That's totally cool! I know that the employees get to see this all the time, but for regular people this is the coolest thing I've seen since the offseason started!

This is what I'm talking about...

I dont think they take that entire frisbee thing off every year. Is the IJST tour just of IJST or the rest of the park.

They removed most if not all of the seats on Delirium last year. Since its a ring with individual sections that are bolted together, it is best to remove a couple sections to allow for the expansion and contraction during cold weather, just to make sure it doesn't loosen bolts or weaken the bolts in the process.

On the note of the tower, Shaggy eluded to things in the "aerial photos" if you looked hard enough. In one you can see a snorkel lift (its what its call, the little person crane that is movable....) under the base of the tower. Its been there as soon as the season ended starting to sand blast off the paint and put primer on. When I was in the park at the begining of December for the Adventures for Wish Kids event you could see paint chips that had floated around the park. You can also see a section of the 50ft platform that is orangey-brown from outside the park.

They don`t check every part on every single ride everyday. For example, on the coasters, they inspect the footers for the rides once a week. Most of the stuff that they check weekly like that will not go bad all of a sudden, but will gradually occur. Another thing the park does is routine maintenance. For example, they rebuild the pumps on White Water Canyon every five years. They also rebuild one train engine on the KI&MVRR every other year. (Every train is rebuilt every fourth year.)

I hate to be like this, but why do some people know absolutely everything about everything.

"...it is best to remove a couple sections to allow for the expansion and contraction during cold weather, just to make sure it doesn't loosen bolts or weaken the bolts in the process."

and

"(Every train is rebuilt every fourth year.)"

and don't get me started on "sand blasting" the tower or any other rides that are being painted this year

..matt

^ Wow -- attitude.

First of all:

<<"(Every train is rebuilt every fourth year.)">>

I'm not entirely sure if PKI does this or not, but I know particularly Arrow cars are supposed to go through what they called (at least on Arrow's web page) "breakdowns" in which the thing is entirely parted, parts are replaced, etc. Does PKI do this? I don't know, but probably...

<<"...it is best to remove a couple sections to allow for the expansion and contraction during cold weather, just to make sure it doesn't loosen bolts or weaken the bolts in the process.">>

This is another thing that I'm not entirely sure about, but if you know Tyson (Fo Shame) you'd know that he knows what he's talking about.

Different seats; but for the record what I meant is that Delirium has not had any seats removed yet this year, they were only taken off to make winter maintenance easier, but if you do it in the spring time no need to remove them. My thing about "every fourth year" is that there are TWO engines if they rebuild one per year my math skills tell me that "every fourth year" does not make sense, maybe at MK or BGT where they have four engines. Someone clearly misunderstood something here, all coaster cars to be used for the following season that began the previous season are broken down for inspection.

..matt

Perhaps, I should clarify my statement. I read on one park train website that PKI rebuilds one of the two engines every 2 years. Since there are four engines, that means each engine would be rebuilt every four years. Yes, I thought, they rebuilt an engine each off season so that each engine was rebuilt every two years. Regardless, of 2 or 4 years, the engines are rebuilt. I just hope the KI&MVRR stays around for a LONG time, as not too many theme parks still have their steam trains!

Yes, I believe that PKI does, or is at least supposed to, do a tear down of every coaster train during the off season. (The offseason picture of The Racer train still on the track with covers on it sort of surprised me. I would have thought that they would at least have removed it from the track and put it under some sort of shelter (picnic groves or shed by wood coaster maintenance) to protect it from the elements.)