The Bat is down

Oldschool75

3 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

I agree.  They need to put something in where Vortex sat.  Seeing that fence and an open area of land just doesn`t seem very pleasant.  Heck, I would be happy if they added some more flat rides back there, or even a wild mouse coaster.  Just something  back there to provide some action and interest instead of a wood fence.

That land didn't have a ride in it for the first 9 years of the park. I'd love to see them plant a bunch of trees and let it overgrow again to hide The Beast. 

Also, they are currently repairing the track. The section that was damaged has been removed and they are welding in new steel. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

Naturally, parks should always have the guest’s safety and comfortability in mind when it comes to their rides. Would you want to drive a car that rides rough? 

I agree with this. I like that Mike Koontz prioritizes having comfortable rides. Although, this preference may have cost us Vortex. I feel like a lot of parks don’t care as much about having rough rides in their lineup when they really should. Look at Canada’s Wonderland for example. They have a lot of rough and uncomfortable rides that probably could be removed or re-tracked (in the case of wooden rollercoasters).

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

That land didn't have a ride in it for the first 9 years of the park. I'd love to see them plant a bunch of trees and let it overgrow again to hide The Beast. 

I’d much rather have a new Rollercoasters then Look at a bunch of trees. I don’t think development of the park should stall because of a 40+ year old wooden rollercoaster  needing to be “hidden”. That shipped sailed a long time ago. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Benjamin22 said:

I’d much rather have a new Rollercoasters then Look at a bunch of trees. I don’t think development of the park should stall because of a 40+ year old wooden rollercoaster  needing to be “hidden”. That shipped sailed a long time ago. 

I agree. If Kings Island really wanted to hide The Beast, they should remove Orion because it’s turnaround can be seen from The Beast. In all seriousness, a new rollercoaster could potentially completely hide The Beast’s station and first lift hill. When Vortex was still around, you couldn’t see The Beast at all from that stretch of midway. Yeah, there were some trees that helped hide The Beast that were a casualty of Vortex’s demolition. But Kings Island could still plant new trees around the layout of a new coaster. That plot of land needs a new coaster.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Mike Koontz for better or for worse seems to have something against rough and uncomfortable rides. During his tenure, The Racer and The Beast have undergone major track work that has dramatically improved smoothness. His potential disdain for rough and uncomfortable rides may have cost us Vortex, but it at least gave us improved wooden rollercoasters with The Racer and The Beast.

Why not have a wooden Vortex?

• Like 2

There is a YouTube video showing the damaged wheel and track.  I agree with the narrator of the video that most likely a bolt broke off the wheel. All other fail safe wheels still worked properly.  A user in the comment section who was on the ride said it rode normally, only that they can see sparks coming from the car the wheel fell off.

Not sure if I am allowed to link the video because the user said the pictures are not his own but it is under "Amusement Addicts" called "The Bat Incident Kings Island" dated June 24th.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 2:32 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

I agree. If Kings Island really wanted to hide The Beast, they should remove Orion because it’s turnaround can be seen from The Beast. In all seriousness, a new rollercoaster could potentially completely hide The Beast’s station and first lift hill. When Vortex was still around, you couldn’t see The Beast at all from that stretch of midway. Yeah, there were some trees that helped hide The Beast that were a casualty of Vortex’s demolition. But Kings Island could still plant new trees around the layout of a new coaster. That plot of land needs a new coaster.

They could easily plant a bank of white pine around The Beast turnaround and hide it from the midway.  White pine grow fast and are relatively inexpensive.
There would still be plenty of room  for a coaster   

that walkway between Rivertown Pizza and the jukebox diner used to be tree lined    Slowly but surely they’ve made it as barren  as the rest of the park.

Kings Island Is an ugly park.   That’s 100% because of the lack of trees and shade around the park. It’s sister park in Virginia is absolutely gorgeous because it’s tree covered.    They can do all the painting they want but the lack of greenery makes the park rather depressing walking during the daytime

Planet Snoopy, the back part of Rivertown, Area 72 Action Zone and the center of the park are totally barren    The remodel of I Street was also disappointing considering the small number of trees they planted   

with 90+ degrees days it amazes me that these theme parks don’t try to make their customers more comfortable with shade well the walkways and the queues    There are numerous rides at Kings Island b with no shade while you wait     Shade structures are not that expensive to build

I think Cedar Fair tries to save cost of tree trimming. But it makes some very unpleasant parks  

it was disappointing they built Orion so close to The Beast    It breaks the isolation     And definitely decrease the quality of the night rides

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, super7 said:

They could easily plant a bank of white pine around The Beast turnaround and hide it from the midway.  White pine grow fast and are relatively inexpensive.

that walkway between Rivertown Pizza and the jukebox diner used to be tree lined    Slowly but surely they’ve made it as barren  as the rest of the park.

Kings Island Is an ugly park.   That’s 100% because of the lack of trees and shade around the park. It’s sister park in Virginia is absolutely gorgeous because it’s tree covered.    They can do all the painting they want but the lack of greenery makes the park rather depressing walking during the daytime

Planet Snoopy, the back part of Rivertown, Area 72 Action Zone and the center of the park are totally barren    The remodel of I Street was also disappointing considering the small number of trees they planted   

with 90+ degrees days it amazes me that these theme parks don’t try to make their customers more comfortable with shade well the walkways and the queues    There are numerous rides at Kings Island b with no shade while you wait     Shade structures are not that expensive to build

I think Cedar Fair tries to save cost of tree trimming. But it makes some very unpleasant parks  

it was disappointing they built Orion so close to The Beast    It breaks the isolation     And definitely decrease the quality of the night rides

Kings Island is not an ugly park, but I agree, the park could use a lot more landscaping and trees in certain places. The blacktop area behind the Eiffel Tower especially has me scratching my head when I walk through it. More trees, landscaping, or anything would make it look better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, super7 said:

Ugly? No. The front entrance is one of the best in the world and the park does a great job with theming and keeping the park clean. While the park may not have much shade, I think KI is one of the nicest looking parks ever.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

Ugly? No. The front entrance is one of the best in the world and the park does a great job with theming and keeping the park clean. While the park may not have much shade, I think KI is one of the nicest looking parks ever.

Canadas Wonderland and Kings Dominion entrance blow away KI because of their landscaping.  The buildings at those parks are also much more interesting.   I Street at Ki is literally trees stuck in pavers with little actual landscaping. 

I will retract a bit.  I Street at KI is better than most entrances (other non Taft Cedar Fair parks, Six Flags etc)!but it is the ugliest out of the 3 Taft built parks and KI is the least nicest park out of those 3 IMO.   The rides at KI are its strong point more than being a scenic park. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, super7 said:

Canadas Wonderland and Kings Dominion entrance blow away KI because of their landscaping.  The buildings at those parks are also much more interesting.   I Street at Ki is literally trees stuck in pavers with little actual landscaping. 

I will retract a bit.  I Street at KI is better than most entrances (other non Taft Cedar Fair parks, Six Flags etc)!but it is the ugliest out of the 3 Taft built parks and KI is the least nicest park out of those 3 IMO.   The rides at KI are its strong point more than being a scenic park. 

If the park gives you so much agnst, why do you still go?

@BeeastFarmer One can criticize aspects of the park while still enjoying it overall.

@super7 I think 'ugly' would be fitting for some parts of the park (Action Zone, Area 72). Part of this problem is that the ugliness is a result of the chosen theming which itself was probably a result of trying to keep costs down.

A 'government test facility' theme is a way to incorporate an unadorned steel buildings as 'theming' with no additional cost.

A theme to a 'Backlot Stunt Crew area' like Action Zone is another theme that requires almost no actual landscaping or theming in the way that Rivertown or Oktoberfest would.

Similarly, the decision to remove the pedestals on the Royal Fountain were almost certainly due the high costs involved in replacements.

I think that shade trees planted now especially in Action Zone would be much appreciated in 20 years. Better yet, they could relocate mature trees on the wooded areas of their own property to the midway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KI Guy said:

@BeeastFarmer One can criticize aspects of the park while still enjoying it overall.

@super7 I think 'ugly' would be fitting for some parts of the park (Action Zone, Area 72). Part of this problem is that the ugliness is a result of the chosen theming which itself was probably a result of trying to keep costs down.

A 'government test facility' theme is a way to incorporate an unadorned steel buildings as 'theming' with no additional cost.

A theme to a 'Backlot Stunt Crew area' like Action Zone is another theme that requires almost no actual landscaping or theming in the way that Rivertown or Oktoberfest would.

Similarly, the decision to remove the pedestals on the Royal Fountain were almost certainly due the high costs involved in replacements.

I think that shade trees planted now especially in Action Zone would be much appreciated in 20 years. Better yet, they could relocate mature trees on the wooded areas of their own property to the midway.

@kiguy, it's not an attack on him or her.  But this person offers almost exclusively negative feedback, some of which I agree with.  But almost every post is excessively negative, to the point it seems they get only negative experiences in the park.  I mean, if I went somewhere voluntarily and was distraught about my surroundings, why go back?  I hate how the Junkyard coaster looks, but I still enjoy riding it.

Similiarly, Action Zone is not a place I like to go.  But that won't fatigue me so much from going to Chicken Shack, or Congo Falls or Banshee once or twice a season.

My hope is that when they do invest in AZ, it will resemble what Kings Dominion is doing with  Jungle Expedition.  A new area, using what they have, but going back to the roots.  Some trees planted now would be a great first step.  While transplanting mature trees in commercial landscape settings is moderately successful at best, it would likely fail in Action Zone.  Too much concrete to reflect heat and not enough nutrient and water sources.  I worry about the Autumn Blaze Maples on International Street each summer because they start showing signs of stress each July.  Native oaks, sugar maples, elms and cedar don't transplant well, even as small trees.  They need a good nursery stock, or establish a tree farm out by the greenhouse. (I'd love to see more bald cypress in the park).

• Like 2

I personally like our entrance- it conceals what’s on the other side. Once guests emerge on the other side, the whole park opens up as the fountains dance along to the music with the Eiffel Tower and other rides providing the backdrop. Having an entrance like what Cedar Point and Carowinds have would kill that aesthetic.

Not everything has to be sleek and modern.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I personally like our entrance- it conceals what’s on the other side. Once guests emerge on the other side, the whole park opens up as the fountains dance along to the music with the Eiffel Tower and other rides providing the backdrop. Having an entrance like what Cedar Point and Carowinds have would kill that aesthetic.

It would be a terrible mistake to modernize the entrance.  Sure, soften the roofline, remove the banners and add flags back.  But, I agree @SonofBaconator, the way it's designed it is simply spectacular.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I don’t think the entrance should be sleek and modern, but I definitely think it could use a refresh. In terms of appearance and theming, the entrance leaves a lot to be desired. Ideally, Kings Island would keep the entrance building but update the facade and renovate the ticket booths giving the whole plaza a more international feel as a preview of what’s to come. It would also be cool if Kings Island replaced the concrete with pavers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I don’t think the entrance should be sleek and modern, but I definitely think it could use a refresh. In terms of appearance and theming, the entrance leaves a lot to be desired. Ideally, Kings Island would keep the entrance building but update the facade and renovate the ticket booths giving the whole plaza a more international feel as a preview of what’s to come. It would also be cool if Kings Island replaced the concrete with pavers.

I understand wanting to be welcome but I personally wouldn’t want a lot of people hanging around the outside of the entrance when they can hang around on International Street. I’d rather resources be spent inside the gates as opposed to outside them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I understand wanting to be welcome but I personally wouldn’t want a lot of people hanging around the outside of the entrance when they can hang around on International Street. I’d rather resources be spent inside the gates as opposed to outside them.

I don’t think people would be hanging around the entrance over International Street. I also don’t think Kings Island would purposely keep the entrance looking outdated to encourage people to hang out on International Street  I think the current entrance could simply be more welcoming by having a greater curb appeal. If the facade received a more themed makeover, the ticket booths were renovated, and pavers were installed, I believe the entry experience would be greatly enhanced. Would it keep people from hanging out on International Street? Of course not! After all, people use the entrance to ENTER the park. A renovated entrance would simply give guests a better first impression of the park.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I don’t think people would be hanging around the entrance over International Street. I also don’t think Kings Island would purposely keep the entrance looking outdated to encourage people to hang out on International Street  I think the current entrance could simply be more welcoming by having a greater curb appeal. If the facade received a more themed makeover, the ticket booths were renovated, and pavers were installed, I believe the entry experience would be greatly enhanced. Would it keep people from hanging out on International Street? Of course not! After all, people use the entrance to ENTER the park. A renovated entrance would simply give guests a better first impression of the park.

I’d be fine with this2777FE69-5AD4-4D18-96BE-2C0F9625E6F7.jpeg 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I think most of us agree that we want to keep the experience of walking through that tunnel-like entrance.  However, that can be kept while still giving us a nice looking facade, instead of having a bunch of plain roofing shingles that they just cover with a large banner.

• Like 2