First-time Visitor Plan of Attack

Rob562

Hello, all. Long-time coaster enthusiast, but a first-time visitor to KI.  As much a we tried to get our visit to be a weekday, our schedule has only allowed it to be this coming Saturday (6/18).

We're trying to avoid buying Fast Lane if at all possible. I've been looking over the wait time data available on thrill-data.com and using that to plan out at least the first few hours of our day. I figure if we can knock out the coasters with the longest historical wait times early in the day, it'll help us in our hopes to get at least one ride in on every coaster in the park.

So with that being said, how does this sound to the KI regulars for a gameplan?

Tickets are already purchased, we'll plan on arriving at the gate at least 30 minutes before opening. (Does it need to be earlier?)

We'll then hit the following in as rapid-fire as possible:
-Flight of Fear
-Orion
-Beast
-Mystic Timbers
-Diamondback
-Stunt Coaster
-Invertigo

It's a toss-up as to whether we will plan to find a place to watch the fireworks, but if anyone can suggest good areas to grab a viewing spot, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks all!

-Rob

• Like 2

Hello there.

If you have spare $$$, then FL+ will make your Saturday at KI so much more enjoyable and memorable.

I don’t know if there is any method to which coaster to ride first. For me, a night ride on The Beast is a must. Expect a seriously long queue time and in return the ride of your life.

If you do plan a night ride on The Beast, you might miss the fireworks depending on where you are in the queue.

Also add to your coaster line up Adventure Express and The Racer. In my opinion, Flight of Fear is overrated and not worth the queue time. I rarely ride Invertigo. If it's hot outside and you don’t mind getting drenched, White Water Canyon is a lot of fun, especially with a group of people.

Enjoy your Saturday at KI!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NegativeGs said:

Hello there.

If you have spare $$$, then FL+ will make your Saturday at KI so much more enjoyable and memorable.

I don’t know if there is any method to which coaster to ride first. For me, a night ride on The Beast is a must. Expect a seriously long queue time and in return the ride of your life.

If you do plan a night ride on The Beast, you might miss the fireworks depending on where you are in the queue.

Also add to your coaster line up Adventure Express and The Racer. In my opinion, Flight of Fear is overrated and not worth the queue time. I rarely ride Invertigo. If it's hot outside and you don’t mind getting drenched, White Water Canyon is a lot of fun, especially with a group of people.

Enjoy your Saturday at KI!

Thanks for the feedback.

My list isn't all we're looking to do, just the ones we'll do first to get out of the way because they get the longest lines. That way we know we've ridden them at least once. I'm familiar with FoF from KD, and Invertigo from Dorney, just looking for the coaster credit.

Most of the other coasters I didn't list seem to have reasonable waits throughout the day, so those will be what we hit during the peak mid-day crowds. Then we'll re-evaluate what we want to try to re-ride after sunset.

-Rob

I never go on saturdays but from what I know, getting all the credits without at least the regular Fast Lane might be difficult. Flight of Fear should be your first stop unless maybe you can get the early ride on Orion before 10 (I don't know how possible that is on a Saturday). Then probably Orion (since its right there and still somewhat new) and Backlot Stunt Coaster. There's also Flying Ace Aerial Chase (Vekoma SFC), in the kids area if you want that, and Invertigo, both with only one train. The B&M's of course have fast moving lines. Mystic Timbers' moves okay. Racer line moves fast if both sides are running. The Beast has been getting some heavy lines but if you want to get it at night, you might save it.

You're kind of stuck with a choice: the legendary Beast night ride (you will be forced to stay in a line that doesn't move after 9:30 until the fireworks are done) or maybe one of the other great night rides (Mystic Timbers, Orion, Diamondback, and even Adventure Express) or do you want to watch the new, impressive fireworks and drone show? Can't do 'em all I'm afraid.

We almost need a guide on this site on how to gauge the current wait times for rides since the app has been so inaccurate.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Well, that is what this thread is for, but it hasn't been used much this year as in the past....

That thread isn't that helpful when you're at the park trying to decide how long a wait is before you get on. It's not exactly real-time. I meant something more like "if the line ends at this point, the wait is typically 60-80 minutes." A lot of people with less experience at the park might have trouble gauging the waits because of deviations in capacity, hidden queue areas, and so on. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

That thread isn't that helpful when you're at the park trying to decide how long a wait is before you get on. It's not exactly real-time. I meant something more like "if the line ends at this point, the wait is typically 60-80 minutes." A lot of people with less experience at the park might have trouble gauging the waits because of variances in capacity, hidden queue areas, and so on. 

OK that makes sense.  Do keep in mind though that that is how the ride ops estimate the times on the app.

However, despite what Fast Lane fans say LOL, the biggest unknown is the Fast Lane users and that can seriously impact that estimate and can really mess up the "if the line ends at this point" approach.  The Beast and Orion are two that have the FL queue "hidden" unless the FL line is really long.

But take Diamondback for example.  You can see the FL line from the other side of the splashdown pond.  What you don't know is how many FLers the line separator is letting on each train, and how many of those FLers will be marathon riding and pass you 6 times before you get your turn.  The regular line could be ending at the pop machines, which is usually about a 10min wait, but the FL line can make that be a 10min wait if there are only a few FL or the separator is really rationing the FL line to a group at a time or it can be 30min depending on the number of FLers and the line separator allows half a train to be FLers.

And then of course there are the "hidden" queues as you mentioned that may or may not be in use.  Diamondback has a queue that runs parallel to the splashdown pond that is rarely used, but when it is, they are expecting a busy day.

Flight of Fear may have a queue line to the outside, but maybe all the queues or most are closed off inside.

Orion has a queue that extends out beyond the final brake coming into the station, but you cannot see if that is being used until you get far enough into the queue line to know.  That could be 15-20min full queue that you do not know if it is in use or not.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rob562 said:

Hello, all. Long-time coaster enthusiast, but a first-time visitor to KI.  As much a we tried to get our visit to be a weekday, our schedule has only allowed it to be this coming Saturday (6/18).

We're trying to avoid buying Fast Lane if at all possible. I've been looking over the wait time data available on thrill-data.com and using that to plan out at least the first few hours of our day. I figure if we can knock out the coasters with the longest historical wait times early in the day, it'll help us in our hopes to get at least one ride in on every coaster in the park.

Tickets are already purchased, we'll plan on arriving at the gate at least 30 minutes before opening. (Does it need to be earlier?)

-Flight of Fear
-Orion
-Beast
-Mystic Timbers
-Diamondback
-Stunt Coaster
-Invertigo

It's a toss-up as to whether we will plan to find a place to watch the fireworks, but if anyone can suggest good areas to grab a viewing spot, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks all!

-Rob

For arriving I would say give yourself 15 extra minutes on when you plan on arriving because sometime going through security can take a while.

I would say start at Invertigo then head to FOF and Orion, (tip: don’t start at Orion because people with Gold and Platinum passes get to ride it 30 minutes before park opens. ) Then after that head to Mystic Timbers because the lines for MT can get frustratingly long in the afternoon, Probably then Diamondback because you are right there, Then head to stunt coaster Because it is low capacity, And then I would say re rides or whatever you want to do until night time. Then I say first night ride should be Beast, then Mystic Timbers and Diamondback, then head over to Adventure Express ( it is a very very underrated night ride ) then Orion. 

Also Banshee is one of the best Inverts out there so I recommend doing it also if you have time. 

Have a good trip!

21 hours ago, Rob562 said:

-Flight of Fear
-Orion
-Beast
-Mystic Timbers
-Diamondback
-Stunt Coaster
-Invertigo

Thanks all!

-Rob

The B&M coasters (Orion,Diamondback and Banshee), while they look like they will have a long wait, actually chew thru a lot of people in a short amount of time, but the queues are offer little shading in the afternoon sun. Get the low capacity rides out of the way first (FoF, Backlot and Invertigo).  Mystic Timbers' line moves quickly; however, since it draws a wide cross section of folks the line tends to get long. Beast, with the new track, is drawing quite the crowd too.

So you might want to do this (takes a clockwise stroll around the park - with a cut thru for Orion)

-Invertigo (simply because its nearest the entrance)
-Flight of Fear
-Beast
-Stunt Coaster
-Mystic Timbers
-Diamondback
-Orion

Then Racer, Adventure Express, Banshee and The Bat in no particular order 

-unfortunately the weather will not be on your side, forecast is 79 and sunny which will attract a lot of park goers. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Old_Bearcat said:

unfortunately the weather will not be on your side, forecast is 79 and sunny which will attract a lot of park goers. 

Rob needs to hit Flight of Fear first and foremost. That line is catastrophically slow and that's a coaster worth getting a ride on at least once. It's also one that I worry for surviving the next ten years.

• Like 1

I agree with the tips so far (did not think about doing Invertigo as first ride vs. tackling the coasters in Area 72 at rope drop- good point about ERT being a factor), but I would add that if there are one of those "front-of-the-line-pass" wheels open, spend $10 (for two spins) and try to get a good ride (I would consider a "good ride" on that to be Invertigo, Backlot or Monster). I spun the wheel twice last visit and ended up getting Invertigo and Winners Choice (planned on doing Beast at night, but didn't get around to it). In addition to ride lines, take some time to relax- catch a show (the 70's show and Phantom Theater: Encore are good choices; also in the evening there is a DJ at the Bandstand along with the Club KI show), play a game or two (there are two Arcades that have recently been refurbished), and remember to stay hydrated (if it's a hot day) and have fun! :D

And on the relaxation note, there is a great spot in Rivertown behind Brewhouse (near Mystic Timbers); the Adirondack chairs are great!

EDIT: I third riding Adventure Express at night; it's worth it!!! 

• Like 1