New Water Park Resort Receives Green Light

From "The Cincinnati Enquirer" dated 1/11/05

Construction could start this summer on an indoor water park resort on Paramount's Kings Island's campgrounds. The green light came Monday night when Mason City Council rezoned the 47-acre property and approved concept plans for a 401-suite hotel, 74,000-square-foot indoor water park and a 60,000-square-foot conference center. Several nearby property owners expressed concern about the increased traffic. Local and county officials will finalize road improvements later.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PKI... a SMALL park??? WTF???

PKI is the largest seasonal amusement park in the country. We had more guests last year than any other seasonal park. This new resort will attract even more guests. I've been to many parks outside of Ohio, and PKI is NOT a small park by any means.

Truly i must second UH's Notion...

WTF???

PKI is not small, by any means.

Some parks are small, some that come to mind include Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, well, the "Front Portion," Holiday World, Beech Bend, and so on...

I wouldn't personally like to see an "Indoor Waterpark Resort" however, if it can actually live to impress me, then maybe I will support it, but not until I see it.

I for one am excited about this. I think a resort right next to PKI is just what the park needs. It will be very conveinent. I stay at the Breakers up at CP every year with my family and it is really nice to be able to go to the park in the morning and then go back to your room and rest for a while and then go back to the park in the evening. Hopefully this resort will have a path from the hotel to the park. All in all I think this is an excellent move.

This resort is going to be nearly double the size of Castaway Bay, CP's indoor-waterpark resort. Castaway Bay is only 38,000 square feet of waterpark and it only has 200+ rooms. This place is going to be huge if all goes well, and hopefully it does. PKI has my full support wether they're the one's building it or not.

Secondly, I highly doubt it will be like Breaker`s at Cedar Point. I doubt it will have a seperate gate to enter the park from the Action Zone. More likely, the resort guests will be bussed over to the main gate by one of the parking lot trams or the former campground shuttle.

This article didn`t mention it, but I am assuming that Great Wolf is still the one building this lodge. Anyone know for sure? Also, how many rooms/square feet is the indoor water park of the Great Wolf in Sandusky? When I was at the Steak `N` Shake by it this summer, it didn`t seem as big as Castaway Bay (I stayed at the Radissen Inn that is now Castaway Bay.)

NO WORRY'S , Got the info before the camp ground close last season.

The park plans on moving the camp grounds down behind the Son of Beast.

when the rumor was flying around about the resort, People called and complained

they wouldn't be able to afford to come into town and stay in a resort.some said they enjoy camping instead a hotel.

So PKI made plans to acomadate everybody, everybody know how PKI love's to count their counts in the lines, their not going to get rid a campground that get's more attendance than the KI motel. So no worry's

It's my understanding that Great Wolf is still the developer. (At least, I haven't read anything to the contrary...) Great Wolf, BTW had their IPO in December and raised nearly a quarter of a billion $. Their stock is doing pretty well...they went public at $17, and has hovered in the $20-21 range ever since.

I think this resort will do very well. It will provide the "high end" experience that many people look for, and, by rebuilding the campground they're keeping the more economical lodging option as well. Personally, I can't see why this isn't a "win/win" for everyone...

Joel

Will it allow other people to like non resort guest to go to the indoor water park thing. I can't wait to see this and I believe this is a great addition to the park.

Great Wolf Lodges' waterparks are only open to registered guests. Unless they have a different policy for this resort, I imagine it will be the same here. In GW's business model, the hotel is the actual money maker, and the waterpark exists purely to drive occupancy to the hotel. (So far, it seems to be a successful formula for them...)

There are some other hotel/waterpark complexes, however, that do allow outside entry to their waterparks for a fee based on occupancy at the hotel. (If the hotel isn't very full, they'll let "outsiders" in...if it's full, then only hotel guests are permitted.)

Joel

NO WORRY'S , Got the info before the camp ground close last season.

The park plans on moving the camp grounds down behind the Son of Beast.

when the rumor was flying around about the resort, People called and complained

they wouldn't be able to afford to come into town and stay in a resort.some said they enjoy camping instead a hotel.

So PKI made plans to acomadate everybody, everybody know how PKI love's to count their counts in the lines, their not going to get rid a campground that get's more attendance than the KI motel. So no worry's

What? blink.gif

The SEWER SYSTEM is right begind Son of Beast. That would be an unpleasent campground! wacko.gif