Off the Rails Schedule

mikejenkins1

Just cought the last half of the preview show.  It was absolutely fantastic!  Can't wait to see the full show tomorrow.  Nice mix of story and tricks. Must have had 25 or so people involved.  KI has definetly upped the show game this year!!!!!!

Thought I would add a bit more now that I'm home on my keyboard :)

Like I said I got there about halfway through the show and they had the dancers, drummers, BMX, Roller Baldes, Scooters, Trampolines and a slackliner all at the same time, Too much to take in completely in one sitting but very impressive.  I would guess it would be one to re-watch over and over considering it looks like the slackliner was pretty much vamping as well as the other artists.  The show also had 2 hosts/singers (one boy, one girl) and a child was the star of the show who was very talented and I can't wait to see him get more comfortable in his role.  

Very upbeat music, nice story, plenty of action.  Can't wait to see the full show tomorrow.

If I had to guess the showtimes I would say 1, 2, 3, 4:30 and 5:30.  If they do 5 shows a day.  Again, that is a guess, we will find out tomorrow!

Great Job to the cast and crew shows are back and better than ever at KI this year.  Here's to hoping they keep the bar high now that they've raised it!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, robintodd said:

Just cought the last half of the preview show.  It was absolutely fantastic!  Can't wait to see the full show tomorrow.  Nice mix of story and tricks. Must have had 25 or so people involved.  KI has definetly upped the show game this year!!!!!!

Thought I would add a bit more now that I'm home on my keyboard :)

Like I said I got there about halfway through the show and they had the dancers, drummers, BMX, Roller Baldes, Scooters, Trampolines and a slackliner all at the same time, Too much to take in completely in one sitting but very impressive.  I would guess it would be one to re-watch over and over considering it looks like the slackliner was pretty much vamping as well as the other artists.  The show also had 2 hosts/singers (one boy, one girl) and a child was the star of the show who was very talented and I can't wait to see him get more comfortable in his role.  

Very upbeat music, nice story, plenty of action.  Can't wait to see the full show tomorrow.

If I had to guess the showtimes I would say 1, 2, 3, 4:30 and 5:30.  If they do 5 shows a day.  Again, that is a guess, we will find out tomorrow!

Great Job to the cast and crew shows are back and better than ever at KI this year.  Here's to hoping they keep the bar high now that they've raised it!

That’s my worry-I know a lot of this was budgeted for the 50th, but man, it’s gonna be hard to go back to dog shows and 4 guys banging on car parts next year (nothing against the guys with the car parts-we should have those mini shows as well-great to tie into theme) I hope they are getting serious praise and call outs (I know I have) at guest services about the entertainment this year. 

• Like 2

Hey...I really liked Busker Jam! :D

More on topic, I'm looking forward to seeing this show as well as the street party next time I'm at the park.

EDIT: Also, the "all the things happening all at once" part referenced above reminds me of Cedar Point's Vertical Impact. I liked it, but talk about sensory overload...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brenthodge said:

That’s my worry-I know a lot of this was budgeted for the 50th, but man, it’s gonna be hard to go back to dog shows and 4 guys banging on car parts next year (nothing against the guys with the car parts-we should have those mini shows as well-great to tie into theme) I hope they are getting serious praise and call outs (I know I have) at guest services about the entertainment this year. 

Busker jam was original and entertaining.  There's a reason Stomp still runs on broadway.  My point is back to the Paramount days of very little in the way of entertainment/shows.  It seems like Cedar Fair as a hole has been upping entertainment at all it's properties.  The Red Garter Halloween Rock show has consistently been one of my favorite shows for the past 10+ years.

I don't see the quality going anywhere anytime soon.  They have hit their stride and will continue for years to come.

• Like 1

As you see- I LIKED busker jam. I thought it was a perfect, thematically appropriate show (in a bad location-traffic wise) and as I mentioned, I’d like to see more of those “mini pop-up shows” around the park on peak days. I wish shows like buskers and brew bears didn’t even have a “stage” just an area with propping that suddenly came alive with performers. I love that during a COVID “pull out” year they added live shows with those. My point was I don’t think we should ONLY have that level of shows.(poor Carrowinds only has a couple of singer/band duos and only one “stage show” that’s a lift from Knotts) I wish this year had both the big, AND the little we had last year. That would be a perfect storm. Even if they brought in small, local acts for the evenings in BierGarden and BrewHouse, I think it would be great. Sorry I insulted the buskers (not sorry I insulted the dogs) 

• Like 2

No harm taken re: Busker Jam! :D That was my favorite show in the park last year and I was so bummed I couldn't make the final weekend; unfortunately, COVID had other plans... And I agree it was in an awkward location, especially when there were rules saying no gathering in the midways (but also, you kind of had to in order to see this show...)

And the dog shows.... um, yeah... In the words of Howie from the Benchwarmers: "Not an fan" (keep in mind I only saw the second year's show - the one with the big dogs attempting to spin around or whatever).

I do agree with your comment about how both small and big shows should coexist; that reminds me of the first year of Winterfest (2010s revival), when there were so many shows you couldn't see them all in one visit.

15 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

No harm taken re: Busker Jam! :D That was my favorite show in the park last year and I was so bummed I couldn't make the final weekend; unfortunately, COVID had other plans... And I agree it was in an awkward location, especially when there were rules saying no gathering in the midways (but also, you kind of had to in order to see this show...)

And the dog shows.... um, yeah... In the words of Howie from the Benchwarmers: "Not an fan" (keep in mind I only saw the second year's show - the one with the big dogs attempting to spin around or whatever).

I do agree with your comment about how both small and big shows should coexist; that reminds me of the first year of Winterfest (2010s revival), when there were so many shows you couldn't see them all in one visit.

Dream scenario- the area by potato works looses the out of context giant Sprite umbrellas and that entire area gets a permanent cover with ceiling fans and wooden picnic tables (as does the area by funnel cake) if sprite wants to pay to promote-they get vintage tin signs and crates of glass pop bottles with their logo. On one end a stack of crates and “stuff” can open up quickly to become a stage for Busker, something similar, or just country/bluegrass musician. Lighting and sound incorporated into the structure. Do the same with bier garden (not sure why they took down the more permanent structures they had there) and do brew beats or something different than busker (seemed like a lot of banging last year LOL) done would say I don’t appreciate what we get, but I totally do, I just love thinking outside the box for pluses. 

• Like 3

This show is off the hook, off the chain and out of this world!  It is simply the best thing they have ever done in that space.  As far as shows this year (being a theatre guy who started a community theatre) I'd still have to give it to Phantom over this.  But it is close :). FFF is my favorite with Phantom second, Rails third.  Although to be sure all of the offerings this year have exceeded my expectations!

Kudos to everyone who had something to do with pulling of a very good 1st performance.  I look forward to seeing it many more times this year.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, robintodd said:

This show is off the hook, off the chain and out of this world!  It is simply the best thing they have ever done in that space.  As far as shows this year (being a theatre guy who started a community theatre) I'd still have to give it to Phantom over this.  But it is close :). FFF is my favorite with Phantom second, Rails third.  Although to be sure all of the offerings this year have exceeded my expectations!

Kudos to everyone who had something to do with pulling of a very good 1st performance.  I look forward to seeing it many more times this year.  

I agree. It looks great. I admit I rolled my eyes a bit a few months ago when the lineup was announced and we got.., “a scooter stunt show??? Really? For the 50th we get stunt show?” But this is WAY more with history, a “plot” and so much going on you definitely have to catch it more than once. I think this is one they definitely “undersold” but I’m so looking forward to catching it live next week. 

• Like 2

Holy cow! I watched the video, and this is so much more than just a "stunt show." Really, really impressed and can't wait to see it in person. I will say I am surprised that there's no mention of the biggest dreamer in Kings Island's story, Gary Wachs. Is there mention of him in any of the 50th programming this summer? He only founded the park...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

Holy cow! I watched the video, and this is so much more than just a "stunt show." Really, really impressed and can't wait to see it in person. I will say I am surprised that there's no mention of the biggest dreamer in Kings Island's story, Gary Wachs. Is there mention of him in any of the 50th programming this summer? He only founded the park...

Would’ve been fun if the “kid” was named Gary. Only those “in the know” would get it, but it would’ve been a brilliant reference. 

• Like 6

I saw it twice yesterday and I loved the show! It's like a Kings Island 50th pep rally, but with BMX bikes and scooters! I was eating during the first show, so I wasn't able to get into it as much as I wanted, but I still love it! It reminds me a bit of Vertical Impact (at Cedar Point), but thankfully, it's not as sensory overload as that one was... Got to meet some of the cast after the 4:30 show and while the stunts are cool, I was amazed at how the BMX/scooter guys are able to stop at the top of the ramp without colliding into the grass. Overall, great show and I think it's my favorite so far (however, I've seen Club KI more times, but I'm sure that will change as the season goes on)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, chuck norris said:

We’ve only seen the “shortened show due to heat”… which was 10 minutes.

Is there “normal show” actually 25 minutes as the app suggests?

6dacef49d5bc22a8f9829d1a4822f1cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See-that’s why I really wondered about those showtimes. Wish they ran a similar schedule to CLUB KI-the crossover cast could do the parade at 6 -like CLUB does, then run shows at 7,8,9 and club at 7:39,8:30 and 9:30. If they want to do 4, maybe they could’ve done one at 4:30 or 5 and still had time to get cast to parade step off. I wondered about running such a physical show in the hottest part of the day. Could’ve done some  awesome lighting that way as well and created a TON of energy around the tower area in the evenings. Oh well! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chuck norris said:

We’ve only seen the “shortened show due to heat”… which was 10 minutes.

Is there “normal show” actually 25 minutes as the app suggests?

6dacef49d5bc22a8f9829d1a4822f1cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen the show 5 times (once again today) and it's always been the 22-25 minute show.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, brenthodge said:

See-that’s why I really wondered about those showtimes. Wish they ran a similar schedule to CLUB KI-the crossover cast could do the parade at 6 -like CLUB does, then run shows at 7,8,9 and club at 7:39,8:30 and 9:30. If they want to do 4, maybe they could’ve done one at 4:30 or 5 and still had time to get cast to parade step off. I wondered about running such a physical show in the hottest part of the day. Could’ve sone done awesome lighting that way as well and created a TON of energy around the tower area in the evenings. Oh well! 

I believe the timing of this, and most of the other shows, is due to the casts’ participation in the Street Party. 

2 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I believe the timing of this, and most of the other shows, is due to the casts’ participation in the Street Party. 

Which you’ll note I addressed in my original post. Doesn’t really matter as neither of us are in the entertainment scheduling dept. and have direct impact on already made decisions, but its fun to throw out ideas. I’m sure those in official capacities know what works best.