Fun Fireworks and Fifty Show

mikejenkins1

Did anyone notice that they recently did a drone change in the show?

They used to show Brady Bunch and now it does Groovy....

Any ideas of why this change happened?

Also they keep moving the drones around it seems    Beginning was way right of now and up.

Now lower and to the left almost behind the tower.

Is there really a good place to see the entire show?

22 minutes ago, mikejenkins1 said:

Did anyone notice that they recently did a drone change in the show?

They used to show Brady Bunch and now it does Groovy....

Any ideas of why this change happened?

Also they keep moving the drones around it seems    Beginning was way right of now and up.

Now lower and to the left almost behind the tower.

Is there really a good place to see the entire show?

Last time I saw the show it was Brady Bunch.  Maybe a copyright issue?  Either one would be fine with me.  Us who remember the Brady Bunch seem to be dying off and is not quite part of the popular lexicon as the word Groovy (it does kind of give an Austin Powers vibe with the flowers on the buildings. :) )

Lower to the left and behind the tower may save on battery or that the d in the name might be getting to the edge range of the radio for the drones?  Not sure if they are controlled by radio to keep in time with the music or if they are internally programmed individually.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Best place to see the show is the front gate.  The lights on the buildings, laser and lights on the tower and the lights and water in the fountain along with the fire really make it a perfect viewing spot.  I always stand to see the fountain lights better rather than sitting, just make sure you're not standing too close to the fountain to give people a chance to sit if they want.

• Like 3

We have watched from front gate right side, left side and now by Eiffel Tower.     I guess the restaurant $75 dessert spot is supposed to be the best but not sure.

No really great spot yet.   Of course if past the fountains you miss that.   But we did turn around last night and saw lighting on the restaurant on top we had not seen before.

Bit the drones location has moved a couple times and better that they are more to the left.

12 minutes ago, mikejenkins1 said:

But you would think that with Barry Williams doing the talk, that Brady Bunch would be ok and they would have checked that out prior to the show.

Hiring Barry Williams has nothing to do with using a copyrighted logo (that Paramount owns ironically) it does seem odd that they would’ve used the logo without it being fully approved. 

anyone know if the additional lasers are in use now? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, robintodd said:

I always stand to see the fountain lights better rather than sitting, just make sure you're not standing too close to the fountain to give people a chance to sit if they want.

I agree, being at the foot of the fountain you get the “full” show…I also agree that it is best to be standing to see the fountains…but 95% of the crowd just wants to chill and watch the show sitting down, which I totally understand…it’s a nice way to end the day. So, for the people who do want to stand…I recommend standing back by the International Restaurant, that way you are not blocking anyone’s view and you also get to see everything. :)

A3FB0F6D-998A-4108-BC53-EE6784FC8459.jpeg

3938DFCC-CAE1-4097-A66D-33576B2D53B3.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, standbyme said:

I agree, being at the foot of the fountain you get the “full” show…I also agree that it is best to be standing to see the fountains…but 95% of the crowd just wants to chill and watch the show sitting down, which I totally understand…it’s a nice way to end the day. So, for the people who do want to stand…I recommend standing back by the International Restaurant, that way you are not blocking anyone’s view and you also get to see everything. :)

A3FB0F6D-998A-4108-BC53-EE6784FC8459.jpeg

3938DFCC-CAE1-4097-A66D-33576B2D53B3.jpeg

That's where I'm at when I see it.

• Like 1

Anyone know if they are doing a 4th “tag” on the show, or just the show. The park is promoting FFF July 1-4 as a great 4th show, but we all know they are doing that nightly. Just wondering if they are adding to it, or utt it trying to hype it up as a seasonal offering. 

• Like 1

^And in that other thread, people posted what they thought the issue was.....When you are dealing with an older IP and companies have merged/split/remerged/family issues, etc. it doesn't take a lot for someone to make claim to an IP if it ever passed thru their hands.  And in an instance like this, the drone show would be long over by the time the courts settled it, so the park simply quickly changed the animation.  Doesn't impact the quality of the show at all.  Personally I think the Knievel change is better now.

Given how CF protects their IP on violations, it would be surprising if they didn't seek approval first for other IP...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Anyone know if they are doing a 4th “tag” on the show, or just the show. The park is promoting FFF July 1-4 as a great 4th show, but we all know they are doing that nightly. Just wondering if they are adding to it, or utt it trying to hype it up as a seasonal offering. 

The show will be identical to the other shows.

• Like 1

I have to admit... Tonight was the first night I actually got to see the show in person and it completely blew me away. Watching a video of it doesn't do it justice. This is the type of shoe I wish Kings Island always had. I hope they continue this type of show in the future instead of just for this season.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thatbandguy8807 said:

I have to admit... Tonight was the first night I actually got to see the show in person and it completely blew me away. Watching a video of it doesn't do it justice. This is the type of shoe I wish Kings Island always had. I hope they continue this type of show in the future instead of just for this season.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I could maybe see it being a weekend (Fri Sat Sun night) show during the summer season with a short “one song only” show weeknights. Disneyland ran a schedule similar with Mickey Mix Magic being a no pyro show through the week. I’m actually surprised they ran the full show every night starting Memorial day. I could’ve seen waiting till this weekend to start nightly runs of it. With supply chain issues and higher pyro  costs, this isn’t a cheap show to run nightly. 

• Like 2

I watched it from my favorite relaxation spot (behind Brewhouse) and though it was a unique spot, I didn't get the full effect until I was able to snag an Adirondack chair towards the end (and then I got comfy and didn't want to get up lol). However, I was able to notice how the drones make the image, and then reposition to display said image, which was cool. Also, I don't think there are a ton of speakers in that area (I could occasionally hear the music from the midway), and that made it difficult to hear what part of the show was going on as I could just see the fireworks and drones.

Also, although I've been told how the "roller coaster" segment of the show works, it still blows my mind that the drones can do that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SweetSpotSteggy said:

Does anyone know if the lyrics to the KI song are anywhere? I'm curious. Hard to follow along with all the great effects to see.

Found on a Youtube video...seems accurate.

Cartoon friends with funny faces

Jinx and those little meece he chases

Ant Hill Mob, the Wacky Racers

Live in my TV

I'm friends with Fred who yells out, Yabba Dabba Dabba Doo

Bosom Buddy Barney too.

And Scooby Dooby where are you.

I love that mumblin' bear

I laugh at him until I hurt

And when it's, Bananna Splits

You don't eat them for dessert

Bristle Hound is not a stranger.

He saves Lambsy when in danger.

Yogi Bear outsmarts the ranger

All in my TV

Those happy friends who live in my TV.

• Like 2

So the lasers we’re big what I expected. At first I was like meh, but then some of the effects really worked well. 

3EE59500-C25B-4F34-A340-3E6C87E27B99.jpegB5B58FDF-EA61-41AE-AB82-678B7F2D0CA0.jpeg

There were some “blink and you’ll miss it” projects at the top of the show. That’s where I was less-than-impressed. 

F10A6CC9-C998-475A-B86F-F561BA8092D5.jpeg69E6CB92-2B30-4F04-82BC-8118F601BBF4.jpeg922B8D66-85A2-4D83-9B6D-C186297354B6.jpeg

Later they had some cool things such as snow during WF, ghosts, and American flags. These actually added to the show. It was neat!

C849D089-4811-41C9-A4C5-6F198D3BA098.jpeg

This photo doesn’t do it justice, but they used the lasers to outline the 50th logo. It was subtle, but really made the logo pop.

Over all, the lasers didn’t really make or break the show. They were almost like Easter eggs. In fact, standing at the front of the fountain is a really bad angle to see these things. One thing that is kind of cool is that we are half way through the run of the show and we are still seeing new stuff!

89E5D25E-33DF-457B-9BBB-3BDFE90C06B9.jpeg

• Like 3

That's pretty cool. Where would be the best spot to see the show (As a note, I've seen it at the front gate (in front of that one shop near IR)? and from the Brewhouse Patio). Debating if I want to see this again or try for a Beast night ride (haven't gotten one with the new trackwork).

On 7/5/2022 at 7:48 PM, standbyme said:

Found on a Youtube video...seems accurate.

Cartoon friends with funny faces

Jinx and those little meece he chases

Ant Hill Mob, the Wacky Racers

Live in my TV

I'm friends with Fred who yells out, Yabba Dabba Dabba Doo

Bosom Buddy Barney too.

And Scooby Dooby where are you.

I love that mumblin' bear

I laugh at him until I hurt

And when it's, Bananna Splits

You don't eat them for dessert

Bristle Hound is not a stranger.

He saves Lambsy when in danger.

Yogi Bear outsmarts the ranger

All in my TV

Those happy friends who live in my TV.

I think they mean “A Wonderful World of Fun” the original song for the show. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

So the lasers we’re big what I expected. At first I was like meh, but then some of the effects really worked well. 

3EE59500-C25B-4F34-A340-3E6C87E27B99.jpegB5B58FDF-EA61-41AE-AB82-678B7F2D0CA0.jpeg

There were some “blink and you’ll miss it” projects at the top of the show. That’s where I was less-than-impressed. 

F10A6CC9-C998-475A-B86F-F561BA8092D5.jpeg69E6CB92-2B30-4F04-82BC-8118F601BBF4.jpeg922B8D66-85A2-4D83-9B6D-C186297354B6.jpeg

Later they had some cool things such as snow during WF, ghosts, and American flags. These actually added to the show. It was neat!

C849D089-4811-41C9-A4C5-6F198D3BA098.jpeg

This photo doesn’t do it justice, but they used the lasers to outline the 50th logo. It was subtle, but really made the logo pop.

Over all, the lasers didn’t really make or break the show. They were almost like Easter eggs. In fact, standing at the front of the fountain is a really bad angle to see these things. One thing that is kind of cool is that we are half way through the run of the show and we are still seeing new stuff!

89E5D25E-33DF-457B-9BBB-3BDFE90C06B9.jpeg

Hmmm interesting and and odd use seeing as they were already doing a lot of this (in a cheaper way) with light projection. Wonder why they felt the lasers were a necessary add. Thought these would be used more as an actual effect on/in the water. Need to see in person. Like you said also cool that they keep adding things. Like these are a more “permanent “ and reliable way of doing some of what the drones are doing. It will be interesting to see if the use of all this equipment continues on into haunt-Winterfest with sone type of nightly show for those events. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Hmmm interesting and and odd use seeing as they were already doing a lot of this (in a cheaper way) with light projection. Wonder why they felt the lasers were a necessary add. Thought these would be used more as an actual effect on/in the water. Need to see in person. Like you said also cool that they keep adding things. Like these are a more “permanent “ and reliable way of doing some of what the drones are doing. It will be interesting to see if the use of all this equipment continues on into haunt-Winterfest with sone type of nightly show for those events. 

To be clear, I am not under the understanding that they added this to “spice things up.” I had heard about additional lasers from day one. They had had a problem with customs, from what I’d heard. 

However, the show is half way through its run. They had to install the lasers. They had to program them. They had to add them to the timecode. The show was perfect the way it was. It didn’t need the lasers but they did it anyway because it was supposed to be there. That tells us a great deal about the mentality of Cedar Fair when it comes to this show. Fifteen years ago you would have a half-baked opening night and that’s what would have been the show from there on out. 

The next question: didn’t they say there was supposed to be snow? I have heard exactly zero about that since the original blog. I know they make “snow” with the lasers, but I remember it listing both lasers and snow. I wonder what that would have looked like. Snow’s hard to get right, but they certainly figured it out for Winterfest last year!

22 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

To be clear, I am not under the understanding that they added this to “spice things up.” I had heard about additional lasers from day one. They had had a problem with customs, from what I’d heard. 

However, the show is half way through its run. They had to install the lasers. They had to program them. They had to add them to the timecode. The show was perfect the way it was. It didn’t need the lasers but they did it anyway because it was supposed to be there. That tells us a great deal about the mentality of Cedar Fair when it comes to this show. Fifteen years ago you would have a half-baked opening night and that’s what would have been the show from there on out. 

The next question: didn’t they say there was supposed to be snow? I have heard exactly zero about that since the original blog. I know they make “snow” with the lasers, but I remember it listing both lasers and snow. I wonder what that would have looked like. Snow’s hard to get right, but they certainly figured it out for Winterfest last year!

I wondered about the snow as well. I told my kids about it and then opening night said “look at the drones! They made snow LOL” Any mention of it has been dropped. I think there may have been other things (pyro off the tower) that were concepted but didn’t actually make the cut. Sorry-I wasn’t inferring fro your comments that these lasers were a late add, but as you said-impressed that they bothered with them “after the fact” since it still required additional payroll  hours to instal them. I’ve worked places that years after the fact you find things on a shelf that had a purpose, but they came after the fact and just never were installed or even opened-just money wasted. That’s also why I wonder if this infrastructure has a “second life” intended (much like the initial Winterfest lighting upgrades have shows their usefulness outside of that initial expense outlay. 

• Like 1

I've been able to enjoy this show from three different vantage points in the park (Front Gate - June 5th, Brewhouse Patio - July 3rd and in line for The Bat- this past Saturday), and I just want to say the show looks good from anywhere. Sure,the lasers and projections are visible up close, but the show does look good (so far) from different angles. Though the surrounding (rain)forest hid the drones (couldn't tell what the shape was, but I still saw the blue lights in the distance), it was really cool to be able to see a good deal of the show from The Bat's queue (actually, I feel remote the setting added to the experience!). I also got a fireworks ride, so there's that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...