Holiday World

medford

Going to Holiday World in mid-late July for the 1st time.  Any advice to be given?  We will skip the water park for now and just do the dry side (though the water park looks awesome, so we will come back some day and do both again, but just want to concentrate on the dry side for now).

Kids are 14 (will do most anything), 10 (will do all the woodies and hoping to get her on Thunderbird, I think she will) and 6, will do anything he can (about 50") but I assume Thunderbird will be 52" min and out for him.

How roomy is Liberty Launch?  I'm definitely too big for the kite eating tree, so don't know if I'd fit or not.  I did Drop Tower once like 20+ years ago, and never again (don't like heights thought coasters I'm ok with, just not Drop Towers).  Doesn't appear to be too tall so I'd be willing to give it ago if I fit.  Any other flats worth making sure we do?  Any advice on discounts or food places to eat?

TIA

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A little late to this, but we enjoyed our visit.  As mentioned above, we didn't do the water park, wanted to focus on the dry side for our first visit.

3.3 hours each way from my home, not an easy 1 day trip, but could be worse if anyone is thinking of making the journey for a day.  It was hot, very hot, well not that hot (92ish) but very humid (112 heat index).  I don't think I've sweated that much since HS football 2 a days.

Jumped to the back of the park like many have mentioned in the past to start and rode The Voyage first.  Fun ride, very intense, but man parts of that ride are rough.  The bottom of the first drop really gave me a jolt.  From there we walked back to thunderbird  If you think its a long walk back to The Bat, you haven't walked to Thunderbird yet.  My daughter chickened out and ended up sitting in the exit area with our youngest son while the rest of us rode it.  The launch is awesome adn a really fun ride.  I think i would put it ahead of Wild Eagle and Gate keeper, primarily because of the launch.  We rode on the left side of the ride, I planned to come back and try the right, but we never did make it that far back again.

we left Thunderbird and worked our way back towards The Voyage for some lunch.  My kids decided they wanted to do Voyage again before lunch so I rode it with the 3 of them while my wife sat it out.  Though every seat is a wheel seat, I moved seats hoping to find something a little less jarring (I was far back on my first ride, 3 from the back on my second).  Ride seemed a little smoother overall this time, but still just as intense.  I enjoyed how it acts like 2 separate coasters before/after the brake run.

The boys and I grabbed some turkey from the restaurant near Voyage.  Oldest boy and I each got the giant turkey legs, while the youngest went with the kids shredded turkey plan.  The leg was enjoyable, very solid.  My youngest ended up eating his meal, then finished off my leg, then finished off his older brother's.  Must be hitting a growth spurt, I never seen him devour so much food.

From there we walked to The Legend.  I think I enjoyed this a little more than the Voyage, though there is a part with a continual series of left laterals that puts a lot of pressure on your hips.  My wife was on the right side and the seat divider ended up bruising her left hip a bit.  After that, my wife and daughter grabbed lunch while my son rode their version of The Scrambler.  After my wife and daughter ate lunch, we all jumped on Raven to complete our coaster spread.  I enjoyed Raven and it was probably the smoothest, just not as intense as the others.  From there we came back and watched Dive, a diving show.  Short show, but really enjoyable.  Awesome to see that girl jump from 80 feet or whatever they said the highest platform was.

My 2 youngest wanted to do the log flume ride, both enjoyed it, then all 3 kids and I rode the Legend again.  From there were worked our way to the 4th of july part of the park.  Everyone loved Liberty Launch, and the wife and youngest son loved Revolution (Oldest son enjoyed as well but wanted to get his gluten free pizza and preztel form the near by stand so didn't go again while the wife and youngest got a 2nd ride on Revolution)

After that we went into the christmas dinner and got a family meal pizza and breadsticks.  $38 for 10 slices and 8 bread sticks....way more food than we needed, especially with the oldest boy on a gluten free meal and already full.

Kids wanted to get one more ride on Raven, so I rode with the 2 youngest, then we hit up some ice cream and left for home.  Huge scoops of ice cream.

there were a few other flats mixed in, did the indoor shooter which worked better than KI and was welcome relief from the heat.  Great value on the food and being able to self load decent size cups of ice and water all day was a huge bonus.  Kenzel cups would not have cut it in the heat that day.  Operations definitely more slower than KI or any other CF park that I've been too.  Dry side wasn't too crowded so not a huge issue, but those operations on a busy day would be a nightmare.

Not sure we ever make it back again, but for certain I'm glad we made it once.  Been on my bucket list for awhile.

• Like 4