Avett Brothers Kick Off The Park’s 2022 Concert Series! 

Once again the sounds of live music have filled the midways of Kings Island kicking off the park’s 2022 Concert Series! 

Thousands came to the amusement park’s Timberwolf Amphitheatre to see American folk rock band, The Avett Brothers.  This summer’s six concert series marks the most summer concerts at Kings Island since 1995, and the first time that park admission is not required to attend a concert and parking is free after 5:00 p.m.

Next up at the park is Berlin & A Flock of Seagulls on Saturday, July 9. More information and tickets are available on the park’s website at visitkingsisland.com.

Z-Timberwolf 2022.jpeg

Thousands on-hand to see The Avett Brothers at Kings Island's Timberwolf.jpg

z-Timberwolf2.jpeg

Lead Singer Scott Avett.jpg

Lead Singer Scott Avett at Kings Island's Timberwolf.jpg

DSC04883.jpg

DSC04888.jpg

DSC04868.jpg

DSC04890.jpg

DSC04878.jpg

Video:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Was the source of these images from the park? I’m just curious because I wanted to know how well it sold. Naturally the park would cut it in a way that makes it look busy. 

Hope this is as successful as it looks! Great to see concerts back!!

Yes, sent by the park.

@Shaggy summed it up best here why it won't work (or would be difficult)...sure you can always contract out to the B-C listers or up-comers and one-offs that haven't hit it big yet that are not "contracted" through the outside promoters, but you will never get the likes of a Taylor Swift or Beyonce as part of their "tour" until they are washed up, in their sixties and start playing County Fair shows lol.  Timberwolf was once able to draw the top billing, but too much has changed over the years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Per some reviews by fans on Reddit, Timberwolf is the same old dump: 

See also: most social media. 

Some of this was the park’s fault. But this was the first concert in a long time. Hopefully lessons were learned. The PA and stuff was likely the production company. 

• Like 1

Perception is reality and to the guest it was all Kings Island regardless of where the blame actually lies.  Doesn't make it right, but that is the reality we live in. 

Take for example the sound.  Was the talent contractually responsible for all the sound, rigging, power, etc. and if so would they come out and say "Our bad, not KI's fault" or would KI throw the talent under the tour bus and say "it wasn't our responsibility" and potentially deter other acts from coming here in the process?  Or do you as a park just take the lumps and use it to try to improve going forward.

But either way, even if the Avett Brothers said it was their malfunction, people will still have the perception it was KI's fault.

• Like 1

From what I'm seeing on social media there were a lot of issues. Most seem due to the the out of date facility and equipment. Also, from the photos I'm seeing it appears the concert did not sell well. I just can't bring myself to paying the listed prices for bleacher seats. To each their own.

As for the future. I think it was a cool for the 50th season, but it's time to lay it to rest next year. That land could be better used for other things. 

7 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Perception is reality and to the guest it was all Kings Island regardless of where the blame actually lies.  Doesn't make it right, but that is the reality we live in. 

Take for example the sound.  Was the talent contractually responsible for all the sound, rigging, power, etc. and if so would they come out and say "Our bad, not KI's fault" or would KI throw the talent under the tour bus and say "it wasn't our responsibility" and potentially deter other acts from coming here in the process?  Or do you as a park just take the lumps and use it to try to improve going forward.

But either way, even if the Avett Brothers said it was their malfunction, people will still have the perception it was KI's fault.

I remember seeing Thousand Foot Krutch at Spiritsong years ago (mid 2000's) and the sound was terrible (thankfully, I knew they didn't sound terrible live and their next few shows at the Underground were amazing - my second time seeing them at the Underground (where I got to meet them) was apparently one of the loudest shows that venue had had up until that point), yet I'm pretty sure other acts that night had better sound*. So, not sure if it's a venue or a band thing. Same thing at Winter Jam 2017... TFK didn't sound good (As in, the sound quality was garbage), but most of the other acts did sound good... then again, my friend and I were in the bleachers (at US Bank Arena) for their show, but still.... (well actually, Newsong played right after them and the sound quality was better, so there's that...)

*The sound was better (but not perfect, IIRC) years later when I saw them while working Spiritsong (in Park Services)... that was super cool and a lot of fun! :D I was still into them at the time and you better believe I had a great time rockin' and sweeping!

I'd hope they do not give up hope for Timberwolf, if they would give it some restrooms and better seating I think it would be a better sell. At the current state it seems to have not been touched since spirit song 2019. A power washing would be nice too! Also one thing that could be improved would be the stage crew balcony right in the middle of the stands, with new technology it is certainly possible to have it moved to the back of the venue. It would open up lots more seating options. I have gone to spirit song every year since 2016, it's a great theater that has potential! I've loved it every time I've been there, it would be a shame to lose such a unique venue. Hopefully the park can use feedback to help improve it for future generations to come!

• Like 1

I think a good way to improve the crowding would be to do something along the lines of a concept I shared here a week or so ago. Probably not the insane level, but maybe if they choose to sacrifice Invertigo and Congo, they could do a larger widened pathway and build a multi level, multi purpose food building as well as add some permanent restrooms and not porta potties. Also, am I the only one not a fan of the blacktop in the "concourse" area. The theater itself has pavers so why can't the pre-function have pavers or nicer concrete? 

23 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I think a good way to improve the crowding would be to do something along the lines of a concept I shared here a week or so ago. Probably not the insane level, but maybe if they choose to sacrifice Invertigo and Congo, they could do a larger widened pathway and build a multi level, multi purpose food building as well as add some permanent restrooms and not porta potties. Also, am I the only one not a fan of the blacktop in the "concourse" area. The theater itself has pavers so why can't the pre-function have pavers or nicer concrete? 

There’s an old fashion idiom about “rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic” (not the PKI attraction). This is a perfect use of that idiom.

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Also, am I the only one not a fan of the blacktop in the "concourse" area. The theater itself has pavers so why can't the pre-function have pavers or nicer concrete? 

Because it's and old venue and they are testing the waters.  If the concert series goes well this summer, they might invest in some improvements like pavers.  If not, it might just be used as a staging area for Winterfest decor or left for cheerleading/Music in the Park events.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

From what I'm seeing on social media there were a lot of issues. Most seem due to the the out of date facility and equipment. Also, from the photos I'm seeing it appears the concert did not sell well. I just can't bring myself to paying the listed prices for bleacher seats. To each their own.

As for the future. I think it was a cool for the 50th season, but it's time to lay it to rest next year. That land could be better used for other things. 

I don’t necessarily want Timberwolf to close and be removed, but if that does happen, I hope to see it replaced. If it were to be retired after this season, I doubt something would replace it for a while. I really don’t want to see anything go until Vortex is replaced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Here's something....lol. Yes just imagine KI having a hard rock cafe lol

image.png

Doubt they would invest at that scale unless there was proof of conceit that the concerts were viabii lol s again. I have thought (pre pandemic-when there was actual retail) that the front of the park could be developed into a “lifestyle retail/entertainment” destination and offer reduced or free parking validated with a minimum purchase receipt. Not sure now if that would be viable with many of those struggling to fill space. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Doubt they would invest at that scale unless there was proof of conceit that the concerts were viabii lol s again. I have thought (pre pandemic-when there was actual retail) that the front of the park could be developed into a “lifestyle retail/entertainment” destination and offer reduced or free parking validated with a minimum purchase receipt. Not sure now if that would be viable with many of those struggling to fill space. 

Hersheypark recently did it with Chocolate Town. Idk how successful its been though for the park as it opened during the pandemic in 2020 along with Candymonium. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Hersheypark recently did it with Chocolate Town. Idk how successful its been though for the park as it opened during the pandemic in 2020 along with Candymonium. 

Yeah, but Hershey’s is a resort with waterpark, zoo, and park.  It wouldn’t work at KI, and to be honest, no front gate village would work at the park.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

I have a few questions about going to the Timberwolf concerts. Do Gold pass members need to pay to go the concert? And also if you buy a daily ticket for the park that day do you get access to the concert?

Gold Passholders do need to buy tickets to go to the Timberwolf concerts. I believe there is a discounts for passholders though. Daily tickets do not give you access to Timberwolf concerts as the concerts have completely separate admission.

• Like 1