50th Anniversary Pins

mikejenkins1

8 hours ago, standbyme said:

I ordered the Invertigo & Drop Tower pins sight unseen…gotta complete the set, so it really doesn’t matter what they look like…but I am hoping that the Drop Tower one is a little more deluxe and has it so that the ring slides up and down…I can dream! :P

And after you have the complete set, you will sell them on ebay for $11,000 :P (cross threading)

• Haha 3

Well, unfortunately, design wise, neither of the latest pins are anything to write home about…but fortunately for me, neither ride is in my top favorites. :P 

I do find it odd how some of the pins are super deluxe, and others simply plain…for example, I never would have guessed that the Flight Commander would get the deluxe treatment while Adventure Express got a generic pin.

E6DBF793-6788-4AD1-BFE0-3BCA9F8D37F5.jpegAE87B998-BF13-4839-B67E-74D3436A6412.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm guessing Son of Beast/Tomb Raider and Delirium/IJST are next, and that'll be it for Paramount workarounds.

One can probably guess which one I want...

Considering the Drop Tower and Invertigo treatments, I'm surprised they didn't just use Flight Deck instead of the "1993 Jet" name invention.

...Okay, I don't want to be a whiner, but I really had my hopes up that the TRTR pin would get the Top Gun treatment to avoid Paramount naming. The Crypt was not the same experience as Tomb Raider. I think many would argue that The Crypt was not a positive experience. I realize there was a lot of copyright to navigate with TRTR in particular, but surely there was another option than to make a pin representing that ride's worst version of itself? (Purely in jest, I have to imagine this is what it would feel like for Son of Beast fans if their pin had just been a picture of the track that replaced the loop!)

Heck, even the back of the card the pin is attached to has a picture of the ride as Tomb Raider! Even a pin of something as abstract as one of the queue lanterns, one of the bowls with fire in the antechamber, or a depiction of the cave front with "2002" underneath it in the TRTR sign font would be a little more compelling for me.

I mean, I'll probably still buy it since even Crypt merch has never been common... but I'm a little miffed. I was holding out on buying any pins to avoid that dastardly shipping charge until the TRTR pin became available. My hopes were admittedly up.

Oh well. Such is life.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

...Okay, I don't want to be a whiner, but I really had my hopes up that the TRTR pin would get the Top Gun treatment to avoid Paramount naming. The Crypt was not the same experience as Tomb Raider. I think many would argue that The Crypt was not a positive experience. I realize there was a lot of copyright to navigate with TRTR in particular, but surely there was another option than to make a pin representing that ride's worst version of itself? (Purely in jest, I have to imagine this is what it would feel like for Son of Beast fans if their pin had just been a picture of the track that replaced the loop!)

Heck, even the back of the card the pin is attached to has a picture of the ride as Tomb Raider! Even a pin of something as abstract as one of the queue lanterns, one of the bowls with fire in the antechamber, or a depiction of the cave front with "2002" underneath it in the TRTR sign font would be a little more compelling for me.

I mean, I'll probably still buy it since even Crypt merch has never been common... but I'm a little miffed. I was holding out on buying any pins to avoid that dastardly shipping charge until the TRTR pin became available. My hopes were admittedly up.

Oh well. Such is life.

I bought both pins, of course - I will complete the entire collection no matter.  

I figured they'd go the Crypt route rather than TR:TR.  I know firsthand the "hoops" they have to jump through with the Paramount licenses (more about that at a later time.)

I was actually hoping for more with the Delirium pin.  I had expectations akin to the Viking Fury pin with a swinging gondola.  A little disappointed that there's no articulation.

I've really enjoyed this series - overall very happy with all the pin releases.  Its also been fun guessing, then finding out each week what the new releases are.  (Although the cost of S&H for each release is ridiculously astronomical.)

• Like 1

I agree with both opinions of TombraiderFTW & Shaggy about the latest batch…there is no justice that The Crypt ends up with a pin…I mean really, the parking lot trams were WAY more beloved and it doesn’t appear they will be getting a pin. :lol:
And as for the Delirium one, I love the ride and was hoping for (finally) a nice pin of the ride…but it is basically a bigger version of the one from years ago…Delirium deserved better.

B991ACDD-101D-4DA4-B64E-47308146D579.jpeg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

I figured they'd go the Crypt route rather than TR:TR.  I know firsthand the "hoops" they have to jump through with the Paramount licenses (more about that at a later time.)

I'd love to hear more when the time is right!

42 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

I've really enjoyed this series - overall very happy with all the pin releases.  Its also been fun guessing, then finding out each week what the new releases are.  (Although the cost of S&H for each release is ridiculously astronomical.)

Oh yeah--to be clear, I think the fact that this pin series is happening at all is really above and beyond. I don't mean to be backhanded, but prior to Mike Koontz, I kinda expected the 50th anniversary to pass by with about as much fanfare as the 40th (which is to say: without much fanfare beyond some commemorative merch.) The pin collection is a cherry on top of a fantastic and exceptional season.

...I just don't like the artistic choices around this particular release. :P But it's easy for me to criticize behind my keyboard when I don't know just how intrusive the rules behind this one were.

The latest merch offerings...  CoasterDynamix Statix Models of Beast & Racer trains!

If you want them, you'd better snap them up - these sold out when they offered The Beast & Diamondback versions several years ago.  This version of Beast has the updated (original) color scheme.  The earlier release was all red.

image.png

• Like 1