Jump to content

50th Anniversary Pins


Recommended Posts

It's the original logo with the "New for '87" that was on the promos using that logo. The grey one from 2020 was the tribute one, with 1987-2019 on it. Paramount's version was the triangular logo but with the Paramount naming and a green color scheme. The one from the "Orion Sequence" was a true-to-ride blue and orange in the same modern style as the other Orion Sequence logos.

They're all different. Using the original logo is what I expected a Vortex pin from this series to be.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I received my latest batch this week…the most recent 8 pins. I am truly amazed at the quality of some of these pins. Viking Fury with it’s actual swinging boat is great… and Sky Lab’s wheel really spins! 
The Winterfest one looks a lot nicer in person than I expected…both Amazon Falls and the Festhaus ones are nice. I am a bit underwhelmed by both the King Cobra & Vortex pins…they seem to be pretty generic compared to most of the others…but I still like having them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aha, so the Viking Fury one IS dynamic! I thought I saw a photo that had the ship on the other side from the product page, and the "beefiness" of the pin's appearance and two studs on the back made me suspect it, but I didn't know for sure.

I got my Vortex today. It's simple, but original-design logo with the "New for '87" line from the original park guide "centerfold" are nice to add to the other Vortex pins.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2022 at 4:49 PM, PKIDelirium said:

It's the original logo with the "New for '87" that was on the promos using that logo. The grey one from 2020 was the tribute one, with 1987-2019 on it. Paramount's version was the triangular logo but with the Paramount naming and a green color scheme. The one from the "Orion Sequence" was a true-to-ride blue and orange in the same modern style as the other Orion Sequence logos.

They're all different. Using the original logo is what I expected a Vortex pin from this series to be.

To provide a visual on this, I just did a lineup:

IMG_0138.jpg

They all say "Vortex" on them, but they're all different. Not included in this lineup are the original "I Felt The Grip" pinback button (I don't think KECO or early Paramount did pins) and the early Paramount pinback button, which had the logo and and lettering on a green background.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

That's not even the Flight Commander logo. Should be this. Someone in merch got lazy. 

Actually... What you're seeing is a lesser known logo for Flight Commander commonly used on merchandise for the attraction. (See examples below)

It's common for rides and attractions to have more than one logo. 

I wouldn't call the merch team "lazy", I think they're doing a great job with the designs. Excited to see the full 50.

 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I swear…if this site were not meant to be family friendly you would see some very explicit words! How sleazy is the newest 50th Anniversary pin offering?!? The park must be taking tips from Disney on how to attempt to squeeze as much money out of their fans. 
First we had the recent 50th Anniversary coin set that was asking fans to rebuy 2 items that they probably already owned…but now they’ve topped themselves…now they want people to rebuy 5 things!!! I am SO disappointed in the park with these sleazy sales tactics. 
Anyone who knows me knows that I try hard to own the rarer items that the park brings out…but they can choke on this one, I will not buy this out of principle. 
 

83BE0030-192C-45B1-BE1B-AC4E01957F38.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, standbyme said:

I swear…if this site were not meant to be family friendly you would see some very explicit words! How sleazy is the newest 50th Anniversary pin offering?!? The park must be taking tips from Disney on how to attempt to squeeze as much money out of their fans. 
First we had the recent 50th Anniversary coin set that was asking fans to rebuy 2 items that they probably already owned…but now they’ve topped themselves…now they want people to rebuy 5 things!!! I am SO disappointed in the park with these sleazy sales tactics. 
Anyone who knows me knows that I try hard to own the rarer items that the park brings out…but they can choke on this one, I will not buy this out of principle. 
 

83BE0030-192C-45B1-BE1B-AC4E01957F38.jpeg

 

Will you buy the limited edition 80s pin set :P

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

It was renamed in 2007, not 2008. I see they're also still spelling "anniversary" wrong on the upper right of the back of the card.

Has anyone emailed Kings Island about this?   Pretty funny and sad at the same time....

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mikejenkins1 said:

Has anyone emailed Kings Island about this?   Pretty funny and sad at the same time....

 

One would guess that the merchandising team at KI is well aware of the typo; but considering the fact these are made in bulk and I would presume that they have all been printed/fabricated well in advance to each week's distribution. I would guess that the pin vs the mini blurb about the ride is due to copyright by CBS-Paramount, to say that something was called "Top Gun" in a text in the back would probably be different than having the name be prominently displayed on the merchandise, which is the value of the purchase, thus leading to some issues down the line. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The pieces are printed in China for some odd reason.  With other imported goods from countries where English is not the native language, there can be translation issues.  Someone who approved the final proof at KI/CF did not catch it, I'd guess.

That is one thing I don't like about buying merch at KI with it being made in China, possibly by child labor.  I wish the folks at CF corporate would follow the lead of Chef Major and concentrate on local sources.  Specifically to the pins, surely there is printer somewhere in the US that could print these at the same cost or cheaper and leave a smaller carbon footprint.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PKIDelirium said:

The typo didn't appear for at least the first few releases, so I'm not sure what happened.

The pins don't say where they're made that I can tell, the card just says that it's printed in China.

I would expect they are made in China as it seems that much of CF merch is.  I'm just suprised that they would print that in China.  It would make sense if the complete set came from China.  I just wish more could be sourced locally.  If we are serious about affecting climate change, even small things like this matter.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I would expect they are made in China as it seems that much of CF merch is.  I'm just suprised that they would print that in China.  It would make sense if the complete set came from China.  I just wish more could be sourced locally.  If we are serious about affecting climate change, even small things like this matter.

You mean like all the recycling bins....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...