If Kings Island wasn't Paramount.

Captain Nemo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason that Cedar Fair execs were at PKI was to observe and learn about Delirium, since their MaxAir is the same type of ride. Additionally, Busch Garden`s and SeaWorld are both owned by the same conpany. Personally, I can`t really imagine any other company taking over KI than Paramount. Think of how many rides would have been different in the past years.

Really? I never heard of a rumor of Disney buying PKI. I have to admit though with the direction PKI is moving, Disney could make for some interesting changes to PKI. But I don`t think Disney has any interest in undertaking seasonal theme parks anytime soon.

Disney was looking and so was Six Flags.

According to screamscape Viacom may be putting Paramount Parks on the block, so who's to say what could happen in the next couple of years. I'd say if they sold Paramount Parks I think Six Flags would buy them before anyone else, and I think that'd suck too. Hopefully Viacom holds on to PKI and the rest of the Paramount Parks.

The way Six Flags is going, I would more likely see them selling parks rather than add them.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if a sale of the Paramount Parks were to take place that Six Flags would buy maybe one or two parks. IMO, Paramount's parks are very similar to Six Flags' larger, longer-owned parks, like Great America, Over Texas, Over Georgia, Magic Mountain, Great Adventure... regional parks.

Or would it be possible for another media company to become interested in parks? One idea: Clear Channel. Besides many radio stations and several talk shows, they also manage many sports and concert venues, like Riverbend Music Center.

After all, Taft Broadcasting, who owned stations like WKRC-TV and Hanna-Barbera animation, bought Coney Island, which would later form Kings Island...

Post #50!

I vote for Disney. My wife and I LOVE Disney. We visited Tokyo Disney and California's Disneyland & California Adventure together. And we took our honeymoon at Disney World in Orlando.

Can you imagine how awesome Kings Island would be under Disney ownership? We'd have a huge castle built in the middle of the park. Nickelodeon Central and Hanna-Barbera Land would be transformed into Toon Town. FoF would be transformed into Space Mountain. SOB or Adventure Express would be transformed into Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. International Street would become a mini-Epcot. It would truly rock. I would never need to go to Orlando, Florida again!

Have a great off season.

Italian Chef

chef.gif

I voted for Busch Gardens. I like what they do with parks. They theme their parks very nicely and the rides that they theme could stand by themselves without themeing, like Sheikra it would have been a great coaster unthemed, but themed it will be amazing. That new greatly themed castle ride also looks amazing plus they seem to add more coasters to their parks in shorter intervals of time than most other chains, especially chains that heavily theme their rides. That's why I picked Busch Gardens.

Personally, I liked PKI before Paramount owned it. The sad thing is that the movies they theme their rides about are movies that aren't good. At least when Disney themes a ride, it makes sense to theme it after one of their movies. I didn't think the Italian Job was quite a blockbuster movie, and some of the other movies in Paramount's survey just sound stupid to theme anything after. Its almost like trying to theme a ride based on the six o'clock news or the weather channel. I think some of Paramount's rides would be more exciting on their own, without the theming. Not that theming is bad, but you need good themes.

If Kings Island wasn't Paramount, than I think that I would like to see Busch running it. All of the Sea World and Busch Gardens parks are great...althought not necessarily themed, they are beautiful and well managed. I don't think that I would like to see Cedar Fair simply because then they would monopolize the Ohio market. No competition isn't good because competition is what drives the "Can You Top This" mentality in the industry. Disney would totally neuter the thrill rides (Can you honestly see The Beast being in a Disney park?) Six Flags can't even manage the parks they have, so I don't wish to see them run Kings Island into the ground. Universal parks are great, but new attractions are few and far between. Quite honestly, Paramount is doing a bang-up job at the moment, so I would rather have them anyway.

"Yes, I agree with you on Tomb Raider, and the fact that there is no story line to TR:TR. However, I think the concept and storyline to IJST will stand on its own, and guests will not have to have seen the movie to get the just of the ride."

I disagree with you Coasters. There is a story to TRTR; they just do a bad job explaining it. You have to look on the internet to actually get some of the story elements they don't mention in the ride (like the whole planet alignment thing). It took me 2.5 years, but I finally figured it out in its entirety, from the queue to the ride. TRTR's biggest problem is the preshow. Preshows are obviously meant to explain what's going on. TRTR's is unable to do that. For a good preshow (if the story of the ride differs from that of the movie), you need new footage. By relying on just footage from the first movie, they get the guests confused. They think they are just watching a preview of the movie, when in fact, PKI designed it to show Lara's adventures inside the tomb you're in; a separate quest than the movie's. Now let's say every guest did understand the meaning of that, that leaves another gap in the preshows responsibility; not only explaining the story, but what the ride is. Since the ride is your "escape vehicle," yet does not look like any vehicle anyone has ever seen, the preshow should be forcing the idea down your throat, so people will not think of it as a topspin. When people realize they're on a topspin, the only way they look at the ride is that it's a topspin in a box with effects around it. Since the ride is a "vehicle" of some kind, preshow should be convincing you that this vehicle can fly, or whatever, and that you will be using it to actually try to get out of the temple, not just swing around in loops for no reason. Finally, getting back to the story part, preshow should give you some kind of an idea as to what happens at the end of this ride. People are confused about the ending; so was I until last season. The fact that it just ends as you are trying to escape doesn't make any sense. Preshow should be giving you the full story so that the guests can know what just happened on the ride, and how they escaped. Unless I'm completely wrong about the story (I don't think I am), the abrupt ending has something to do with the unsaid Planet Allignment element.

And that's my two cents....and I think I'm a little to passionate about this subject.

According to screamscape Viacom may be putting Paramount Parks on the block, so who's to say what could happen in the next couple of years. I'd say if they sold Paramount Parks I think Six Flags would buy them before anyone else, and I think that'd suck too. Hopefully Viacom holds on to PKI and the rest of the Paramount Parks.

If Six Flags buys PKI, we'll have PKIC cyanide pills available in our online shop.

"The only reason that Cedar Fair execs were at PKI was to observe and learn about Delirium, since their MaxAir is the same type of ride."

Do you know this for a fact? I believe someone was there to look at Delirium, but are you sure that's all they were there to do? I don't think anyone on this board knows for sure.

Cedar Fair would do the best job of managing King's Island. Seems to me every park CF buys out eventually becomes a better park. We can't really say anything about Geauga Lake yet since it has been only one season.

I don't think Six Flags is in any position to buy any more parks. They've dumped a bunch already.

I vote for Disney. My wife and I LOVE Disney. We visited Tokyo Disney and California's Disneyland & California Adventure together. And we took our honeymoon at Disney World in Orlando.

Can you imagine how awesome Kings Island would be under Disney ownership? We'd have a huge castle built in the middle of the park. Nickelodeon Central and Hanna-Barbera Land would be transformed into Toon Town. FoF would be transformed into Space Mountain. SOB or Adventure Express would be transformed into Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. International Street would become a mini-Epcot. It would truly rock. I would never need to go to Orlando, Florida again!

Have a great off season.

Italian Chef

chef.gif

If Disney took over PKI, it would be closed until 2010, and it when it reopened 95% percent of their rides would be gone, the park would have been leveled, rebuilt, and had about 5 themed areas with about 25 rides total, and it would scream Disney at the top of its lungs. I think that if Disney took over PKI, they'd see it as development property in the midwest, not a new park to manage.

How can you say that Cedar Fair would be interested in buying Kings Island? They already own two parks in Ohio, which are each about a 5-8 hour drive from PKI. Cedar Fair would not be interested in PKI because it is not a new market. They would be competing amongt themselves for customers. While I agree that Cedar Fair manages its parks extremely well, I don`t forsee them buying PKI in the near future.

Additionally, if Disney bought PKI, they would not close the park and tear down everything. Why? Money. It would cost a lot of money and they would not be earning any when the park was closed. Additionally, many locals would be upset that the park would be closed and would miss the classic rides that PKI had. It just wouldn`t make business sense to tear down everything and start with a clean slate. I do think that they would renovate rides a couple at a time and add theming to them, but not start from a clean slate. That being said, I wouldn`t put any faith in Disney buying PKI.

I'm probably the only one here (besides erniebald57) who likes what Paramount has been doing lately and would rather them not sell the park unsure.gif If they were to sell the park though, Universal would defiantly be the best choice, with Bush being in a close second! Why? Because Universal is great at theming rides after movies and has better properties to work with than Paramount does. Also, if Universal wanted to, they could lease the movie properties from Paramount to use on their rides (Ya, if they wanted to laugh.gif ).