Berlin and A Flock of Seagulls Perform at KI

Thousands came to Kings Island on July 9th at the Timberwolf Amphitheatre to see classic 80s bands Berlin and A Flock of Seagulls. This summer’s concert series marks the most concerts at Kings Island since 1995, and the first time that park admission is not required to attend a concert. Plus, parking is free after 5:00 p.m.

Next up at the park is 3 Doors Down with Special Guest Candlebox on Friday, July 22. More information and tickets are available on the park’s website at visitkingsisland.com.

Berlin_7.jpg

FlockofSeagulls_2.jpg

Berlin_2.jpg

Berlin_5.jpg

Berlin_4.jpg

FlockofSeagulls_1.jpg

Berlin_6.jpg

Berlin_3.jpg

Berlin_1.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure, but I was there and they (Berlin) rocked! Didn't plan on going to a concert today (other than Hi-Fi Honey, which was actually the show I was intending to see before heading over to Timberwolf) but someone graciously gave me a free ticket. I was not born yet when these guys had their heyday (I came in to the Flock of Seagulls starting their last song, "I Ran" with "Anyone remember 1982?" and I was thinking "I wasn't even born yet!" :lol:), but I rocked out just the same. I really liked their song "Animal", not for the lyrics, but the music - the techno/synth reminded me of Blood Drums ("Savage") and old Skillet and I loved it! It was a pretty good show, but they ended with "Highway to Hell" and that rubbed me the wrong way. Otherwise, they rocked! It also helped that I was able to sit with some people I knew - I ended up meeting with two people from my church, so that was great to see them. Also, fun fact, that was my first big-name concert since 2019!

Speaking of church, hoping to go see Skillet at the park in a few weeks. I don't know a ton of their super new stuff (I only have their first CD up to 2013's Rise), but I love their old stuff. I would be so happy if they did any of the following older songs (which they probably won't, they just released Dominion this year): "I Can", "Gasoline", "Saturn", "Paint" (from their first album), "Locked in a Cage", "Take", "Whirlwind", "Dive over In", "Scarecrow" (from Hey You, I love your soul), "You take my rights away", "I trust you" (from Invincible (2000)), "Earth Invasion", "Kill Me Heal me" or "Stronger" (from Alien Youth). Despite that probably not happening (unless they pulled out "Saturn" or "You are my Hope" for old times sake), I know I'll enjoy whatever they play as they've always put on a great live show.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Not sure, but I was there and they (Berlin) rocked! Didn't plan on going to a concert today (other than Hi-Fi Honey, which was actually the show I was intending to see before heading over to Timberwolf) but someone graciously gave me a free ticket. I was not born yet when these guys had their heyday (I came in to the Flock of Seagulls starting their last song, "I Ran" with "Anyone remember 1982?" and I was thinking "I wasn't even born yet!" :lol:), but I rocked out just the same. I really liked their song "Animal", not for the lyrics, but the music - the techno/synth reminded me of Blood Drums ("Savage") and old Skillet and I loved it! It was a pretty good show, but they ended with "Highway to Hell" and that rubbed me the wrong way. Otherwise, they rocked! It also helped that I was able to sit with some people I knew - I ended up meeting with two people from my church, so that was great to see them. Also, fun fact, that was my first big-name concert since 2019!

Speaking of church, hoping to go see Skillet at the park in a few weeks. I don't know a ton of their super new stuff (I only have their first CD up to 2013's Rise), but I love their old stuff. I would be so happy if they did any of the following older songs (which they probably won't, they just released Dominion this year): "I Can", "Gasoline", "Saturn", "Paint" (from their first album), "Locked in a Cage", "Take", "Whirlwind", "Dive over In", "Scarecrow" (from Hey You, I love your soul), "You take my rights away", "I trust you" (from Invincible (2000)), "Earth Invasion", "Kill Me Heal me" or "Stronger" (from Alien Youth). Despite that probably not happening (unless they pulled out "Saturn" or "You are my Hope" for old times sake), I know I'll enjoy whatever they play as they've always put on a great live show.

I've seen many, many Skillet shows and I'm pretty comfortable saying that the oldest songs you'll hear will be from the Comatose album. The last time I heard anything older was at a show in 2015 in which they played a single song from Collide (Forsaken specifically)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

I've seen many, many Skillet shows and I'm pretty comfortable saying that the oldest songs you'll hear will be from the Comatose album. The last time I heard anything older was at a show in 2015 in which they played a single song from Collide (Forsaken specifically)

Yeah, I figured. I remember Spritsong in High School their sets were a mix of Collide and Comatose (with "Best Kept Secret" as the last song that one time I saw them at The Underground) and some songs from Awake as time went on.

3 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Thousands came to Kings Island on July 9th at the Timberwolf Amphitheatre to see classic 80s bands Berlin and A Flock of Seagulls. This summer’s concert series marks the most concerts at Kings Island since 1995, and the first time that park admission is not required to attend a concert. Plus, parking is free after 5:00 p.m.

Next up at the park is 3 Doors Down with Special Guest Candlebox on Friday, July 22. More information and tickets are available on the park’s website at visitkingsisland.com.

Berlin_7.jpg

FlockofSeagulls_2.jpg

Berlin_2.jpg

Berlin_5.jpg

Berlin_4.jpg

FlockofSeagulls_1.jpg

Berlin_6.jpg

Berlin_3.jpg

Berlin_1.jpg

From what I heard and seen, hundreds, not thousands. 

44 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

From what I heard and seen, hundreds, not thousands. 

I stopped in twice tonight. I feel like there were more than “hundreds” but would be shocked if it hit 2000. Furthermore, I wonder how much of the crowd was papered. We know about, what? 200 or so? Honestly, I don’t know if there’s a huge marker for this band anymore anyway. 

With that being said, my experience was very positive. Those who chose to go seemed to have a good time. The environment was very chill. As an experiment, I sat in the last row to see what the view was like and it wasn’t bad. I’m actually looking forward to 3 Doors Down, which is a group I’d actually pay to see. 

I was looking at Berlin’s current tour. It seems like tonight’s show was a one-off and then they go on tour next month. Seems like most of their shows are in concert venues of a similar size to the Timberwolf, but they are playing outdoor venues similar to the Fraze and things like the Queen Mary. So I feel like they are used for added value, or more of an “in passing” kind of show. So if KI sold 1,000 to 2,000 then they probably did comparatively okay. I hope they budgeted accordingly. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

So how was the sound compared to last time? Was it any better? 

I wasn't there for the actual show but was there earlier in the day around noon and they were testing and trying to stress the system.  I didn't notice any cut outs so I'm assuming they remedied the problem.  I haven't heard anything negative about the sound so hopefully that and the other issues were remedied.  Of course the more people they have the more they will have to push the system (bodies absorb sound).  I'm guessing 3 Doors Down or Daryl Hall may be the only two that get close to selling out and will test the system a bit more.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised there isn't a thread up about 3 Doors Down/Skillet. I didn't go to the concert yesterday (3DD) as I was working, but the last hour of the day (9-10) or so I was on the tower platform and I got a good look and it looked like it was a pretty good crowd at Timberwolf. Not too surprising as 3 Doors Down is likely the most well known band on the lineup along with Skillet. Idk how the concert went overall and how tonight is going so far. From all the things I saw and heard yesterday it looks like the issues that plagued the first concert have pretty much been resolved. For those who went or are there tonight, how is the concert going? Hopefully, we see these again next year and maybe the return of Spirit Song (as I like the whole 3 days of a full lineup of Christian bands). Maybe have a Kids Night with some well known artists who are big around young kids/preteens (ie JoJo Siwa and/or various Nickelodeon/YouTube/TikTok stars). 

• Like 1

The concert last night looked really well attended. I wasn’t there, but from the number of available tickets and pictures I have seen, the crowd looks solid. This is also with the Cincinnati Music Festival going on at the same time, so it is impressive attendance was as good as it was.

I was at the Skillet show and it was awesome! They played a good mix of older stuff (oldest songs were from the Comatose era, and they played a surprising amount of that!) and the new stuff and did a good job bouncing between eras (though their last 3 albums are all newer to me, so...). Though I really wish they'd include some of their really old stuff (or just have "throwback shows" that play the oldies (Collide and earlier)), I did appreciate the diverse selection of songs from each album. I especially enjoyed hearing a few songs from Rise (including the title track as the second song on the setlist after opening with "Whispers in the Dark"!) as I've come to really enjoy that CD since re-listening to it last week. Also, I thought they'd have more songs from Victorious since that concert cycle may have been impacted by the pandemic (Victorious came out in 2019) and they only played two songs from Dominion as well. However, that one released this year, so I'd give it time before they put more of those songs on the setlist. Only disappointing thing (IMO) is all the guitar solos. Yes, the crowd went crazy, but I feel it got old quick and the parts where everyone rocked out together made it feel like just about every song was their last. Also, I realized I'm just not that into their song "Monster" anymore...

Finally, I bought a t-shirt (did you know those Timberwolf Concert shirts are printed on-site?) and a CD/book combo (to get Dominion, you had to buy the book too) because, to quote myself: "I need some new Skillet in my life".

If you'd like, you can see their setlist here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/skillet/2022/timberwolf-amphitheater-mason-oh-43b2e33f.html

• Like 1