Worried about fitting on rides.....

CoasterGirl1240

Hi everyone! I'm going to KI this Saturday, and as you can guess I'm a bigger girl.  I am just shy over 300lb and 5'7". Although it's pretty evenly distributed, I'm still large enough to be worried.  I've read a forum or two on here, but the newest one was from 2018.  Roller Coasters are my absolute favorite, and I really want to try and ride everything if I can! But is there anything I should watch out for? or is there certain rows or seats I should sit in? Thanks everyone for the help! 

• Like 1

Hello CoasterGirl. Many of the rides have 'test' seats at their queue entrances. Ride attendants can assist you at those entrances. In my observation, there is no rhyme or reason why people can and cannot fit certain rides. Perhaps, try starting with Diamondback - if you can ride her (and she is awesome), you should be able to ride Banshee and Orion. Then perhaps move on and try some wooden coasters. In my opinion, avoid Flight of Fear - the ride has long queues, small train seats, and is overhyped. 

• Like 1

You will for sure fit on The Bat and Adventure Express. The Racer and The Beast have the same seats and with the short lines on Racer try it first. Its going to be tight but if you get that second click you are good. If you can fit on Racer you will probably fit on everything else except Flight of Fear and Drop Tower.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tks944 said:

You will for sure fit on The Bat and Adventure Express. The Racer and The Beast have the same seats and with the short lines on Racer try it first. Its going to be tight but if you get that second click you are good. If you can fit on Racer you will probably fit on everything else except Flight of Fear and Drop Tower.  

Well I read somewhere that the Flight of Fear has "roomier" seats on the even numbers. But I haven't heard of that since I've been there last and was wondering if that was true or if you've heard anything about it. FOF is one of my favorite coasters, and I don't want to be embarrassed if they can't staple me in. 

14 hours ago, CoasterGirl1240 said:

Well I read somewhere that the Flight of Fear has "roomier" seats on the even numbers. But I haven't heard of that since I've been there last and was wondering if that was true or if you've heard anything about it. FOF is one of my favorite coasters, and I don't want to be embarrassed if they can't staple me in. 

Everyone is different, depends where you hold you weight and how squishy you are, and every ride op is different too in their method of getting people in. Only way to know if you fit is to try. 

• Like 2

On 7/18/2022 at 5:04 PM, CoasterGirl1240 said:

Hi everyone! I'm going to KI this Saturday, and as you can guess I'm a bigger girl.  I am just shy over 300lb and 5'7". Although it's pretty evenly distributed, I'm still large enough to be worried.  I've read a forum or two on here, but the newest one was from 2018.  Roller Coasters are my absolute favorite, and I really want to try and ride everything if I can! But is there anything I should watch out for? or is there certain rows or seats I should sit in? Thanks everyone for the help! 

I'm a bit larger myself (around 240) and I can say that the only rides I have problems with at Kings Island is Mystic Timbers, Banshee, and Flight of Fear. I barley fit in Mysti last year and it made the ride super painful. I've given up on trying to fit on FOF and Banshee has rows for larger guests, but I've still found that B&M restraints are unkind to larger people. The Beast and The Racer are a little tricky too. My advice is to not fully sit down when you put the seat belt on and pull down the lap bar while you sit down. 

Other than that, you should be good. Arrow is a larger rider's best friend and Diamondback and Orion might be tight. Oh, and I haven't ridden Invertigo in a while so I can't really tell you about that one. 

Flat ride wise, the scrambler, Viking Fury, Antique Auto, and the log flume is fine. Drop Zone and Delirium I've had trouble with. And Boo Blasters is safe too, so you can enjoy the remnants of two better dark rides (where my Scooby fans at). 

I carry most of my weight in the belly (unfortunately) and I'm pretty short (5'4). I hope this helps and I wish you well. I had to take my first walk on El Toro this spring and that was a coaster credit high on my bucket list.    

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 8:43 PM, CoasterGirl1240 said:

FoF is definitely roomier in even rows. In odd-row seats, it can be difficult to position your feet under the restraint mechanism and lower your legs under the restraint lap bar. If you have anything in your pockets, good luck, but that's what lockers are for.

• Like 1

I'm 6ft and 265lb and I can ride everything.  The FOF and DropTower can be tight but my son-in-law who is 5'9" and 300lb was able to fit into FOF . . but it was a very tight fit.

My biggest issue are the orange bars on The Beast and Racer.  I have no problem getting the two clicks but those orange bars are painful.  I wish just one car in those two rides could have the old cross bar restraint for larger riders only.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so this trip has been postponed until this sunday.  Life got in the way and now I'm still nervous.  Although I saw someone comment about how squishy you are, and I'm pretty squishy so that should help.  Here is a picture of me at a 3/4 angle if this helps.  I want to ride everything if I can (I'm okay not riding the Drop Tower) And I really don't want to be pulled out of line to test the seats, or have to do the walk of shame if I can help it.  I've only had to do the walk of shame once, but that was because I was riding with someone of = size, and they couldn't be stapled in.  I went back in and rode with my brother and it worked out just fine.  That was on the FoF about 4 years ago.  I've gained since then as one does, and am super nervous bc everyone I'm going with this time is like a stick.  I know none of them will have a problem on the rides, and I know they've never had to go through worry like this.  Do you guys still think I should be okay? My brother is taking me and paying for my ticket, and I don't want him to have to pay all this money (We're all getting FastPass+) just for me to not be able to fit since it's my birthday we're going for.  I am willing to get a sports bra if people will think that'll help.  My bust is at 48 I believe.  Although I have not done any measurements, this is the only one I can be sure of.  (Also sorry for the picture, my hair was doing something weird, I forgot my shoes, and it was weird lighting)

me.jpg

Honestly I don't think you'll be able to ride anything but Racer and The Beast, maybe Adventure Express? If you love roller coasters use this as motivation to change your lifestyle habits so you can lose weight and enjoy things like riding awesome roller coasters!

12 hours ago, Dan said:

Honestly I don't think you'll be able to ride anything but Racer and The Beast, maybe Adventure Express? If you love roller coasters use this as motivation to change your lifestyle habits so you can lose weight and enjoy things like riding awesome roller coasters!

Nah this guy doesnt need to bring you down OP. I think you will be able to ride everything except for Flight of Fear. The Bat 100% you will fit. Banshee has the bigger seat row. Use the test seat infront of Orion or Diamondback and have someone help push it close to get green light like the ride op will do. For Orion and most other rides be the first to enter the ride row for 2 reasons. 1- so you are on the outside right seat to make it easier for ride op to push on restraint and 2 - if you dont fit you can just get up and leave real quick out the exit without having to make anyone else get up. 

Dont be discouraged if you dont fit on a few rides, there is plenty of rides you will for sure fit and you will have a great time regardless. 

• Like 3