Dollywood New 2023 Attraction

The layout leaked a long time ago and I believe we have shipping records from Vekoma.

https://panjiva.com/The-Dollywood-Co/2610316

2022-03-18 THE DOLLYWOOD CO.
VEKOMA RIDES MFG. B.V.
ROLLER COASTERS (AMUSEMENT PARK RIDES AND WAT CONTAINER CONTAINING 14 PACKAGES SET OF FOUNDATION FOR AMUSEMENT RIDE HS CODE 950821 FREIGHT PREPAID SHIPPERS LOAD STOW COUNT AND WEIGHT EXPRESS B/L NON-NEGOTIABLE WAYBILL SHIPPED ON BOARD
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Orion742 said:

Things like this is how Dollywood keeps winning best kids area.

I hope KI will give Planet Snoopy some love in the coming years!

Agreed. The theming really pushes this above. For ride variety Kings Island still has it beat easily with three coasters, loge flume, dark ride, and numerous flats, but it's mostly on a concrete slab. With this new coaster, and if Dollywood would add a dark ride to here which they have put out in surveys before, then it would become hard to top.

I think if Kings Island revamped Planet Snoopy into Camp Snoopy with some landscaping and an updated Peanuts retheme of Boo Blasters with a full redo they might be able to reclaim it but it would be a tough battle.

• Like 3

The one nice thing about Planet Snoopy is that everything is located in 1 area, which means if you have small kids you can stay in the same area for most of the day and the kids will have something to do.  The down side to that approach, is that once you get away from Planet Snoopy, the options for littler ones become harder to find.  Sure there are a some of the classic flats spread thru Coney, but if you are in Action Zone, is there anything for your 42" and under kids to do while older brother/sister ride The Bat or Banshee?

I wonder if a Planet Snoopy makeover, could move some of the classic kid flat rides into an area in Action Zone to provide a small kids area that would entertain them while others ride the bigger rides there.  At the same time, it would open up space in there to accommodate some of the things they would need if they really wanted to compete with Wildwood Grove at DW.  Having been to both, there is no doubt that wildwood grove beats Planet Snoopy in quality.  Planet Snoopy has more quantity, but moving a handful of older, smaller flats to another area could allow them to open things up and add the type of quality that makes Wildwood Grove stand out.

anyhoo, the coaster looks nice.  Since they cleared out that land, I always thought it would be for a hyper some day, interesting that they choose a family ride for this area, put some great theming with it, and it only enhances this area that much more.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, medford said:

The one nice thing about Planet Snoopy is that everything is located in 1 area, which means if you have small kids you can stay in the same area for most of the day and the kids will have something to do.  The down side to that approach, is that once you get away from Planet Snoopy, the options for littler ones become harder to find.  Sure there are a some of the classic flats spread thru Coney, but if you are in Action Zone, is there anything for your 42" and under kids to do while older brother/sister ride The Bat or Banshee?

I wonder if a Planet Snoopy makeover, could move some of the classic kid flat rides into an area in Action Zone to provide a small kids area that would entertain them while others ride the bigger rides there.  At the same time, it would open up space in there to accommodate some of the things they would need if they really wanted to compete with Wildwood Grove at DW.  Having been to both, there is no doubt that wildwood grove beats Planet Snoopy in quality.  Planet Snoopy has more quantity, but moving a handful of older, smaller flats to another area could allow them to open things up and add the type of quality that makes Wildwood Grove stand out.

anyhoo, the coaster looks nice.  Since they cleared out that land, I always thought it would be for a hyper some day, interesting that they choose a family ride for this area, put some great theming with it, and it only enhances this area that much more.

If only there WAS great theming. It’s a bare coaster with a “mini mountain”. Not impressed. 

4 minutes ago, txdrummer said:

^ Also not impressed. I was expecting something a lot bigger.

Not necessarily “bigger” in stats, but at least more effort than plopping a rambling coaster in a field with a “pop up mountain” that doesn’t seem to relate to anything. You have us the longest coaster in the park with nothing g to look at. Missed opportunity for them to really take it to the next level. It’s saying something (bad) when CF creates a more immersive experience (Mystic Timbers) 

• Like 3

Looks interesting, but I did expect to see more theming. This addition means that Dollywood would have 10 roller coasters, including 3 launch coasters! When thinking about how Dollywood used to be primarily thought of as a "show" park, I never could have imagined the place having this many roller coasters! My first visit was around 2004 for Thunderhead, and there were only 2 major coasters back then - now there are about 6!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

It seems like an odd addition when they have Firechaser Express. I’m not the target demographic but I’m sure people will like it fine.

Yeah, but my 7yo son who IS the target saw the video after I hyped up the cool story and we called the Ned Oakley hotline and his reactions were…. “Oh I can’t wait to see it go through the woods” “wait,I thought this was supposed to be a “mountain” roller coaster” “does it have loopdyloops? Because if it has loopdyloops I’m NEVER riding it” and finally “ what’s the point of that? It never went into the woods to find BigBear” so…. Yeah-net neutral for him. I just think they totally blew it with the immersive theming. I’m NOT impressed with the direction Hershend is taking their properties here of late. They say they want to compete on a national level with Dis and Uni, yet give us a ride that could easily be at a well funded regional. He loves Mystic mostly for the “what monster do we get?” ending. They aren’t even hinting at more they aren’t showing, so all those people thinking there are additional rocks, cabins, etc for it to go around that they just didn’t put in the digital fly through are probably going to be disappointed. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Looks interesting, but I did expect to see more theming. This addition means that Dollywood would have 10 roller coasters, including 3 launch coasters! When thinking about how Dollywood used to be primarily thought of as a "show" park, I never could have imagined the place having this many roller coasters! My first visit was around 2004 for Thunderhead, and there were only 2 major coasters back then - now there are about 6!

Right? And with this addition I think they really need to get back to their roots a bit. Honestly the entertainment at KI this year I would give the edge over DW (how many years can we bring back Dreamland Drive-in?) and with a parade, original stunt show that ties into park history and no “outsourced shows” like Dollywoods bubble show CF is probably getting my pass money next year again instead of our planned swap to DW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve never been to Dollywood and I’d love to go someday, but I can’t help but feel like it’s not used to it’s full potential. Do you need large coasters to make a park great? No, but I think more could be done. I know that’s saying a lot when they just added a great kid’s area but I just feel like something’s missing and I’m not sure what. 

Maybe it’s because I find their concept somewhat restrictive- they’re a Tennessee themed park with ties to Dolly Parton. Compare that to a park like ours were there’s more variety- we have a space themed area, we have an old rustic styled section, we have an international street, etc. Even though the theming isn’t always consistent, it’s still creative: we have a ride themed to a mythological creature of flight next to a jungle mine train. All of Dollywood’s rides are more or less themed to either Tennessee or the smokies with few exceptions.

I know people really want us to get a Camp Snoopy and I’d all be for it, but I don’t necessarily want a restrictive concept. Planet Snoopy is a concept that’s open and non restrictive. Maybe I’m just being nitpicky.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 10:48 PM, SonofBaconator said:

I’ve never been to Dollywood and I’d love to go someday, but I can’t help but feel like it’s not used to it’s full potential. Do you need large coasters to make a park great? No, but I think more could be done. I know that’s saying a lot when they just added a great kid’s area but I just feel like something’s missing and I’m not sure what. 

Maybe it’s because I find their concept somewhat restrictive- they’re a Tennessee themed park with ties to Dolly Parton. Compare that to a park like ours were there’s more variety- we have a space themed area, we have an old rustic styled section, we have an international street, etc. Even though the theming isn’t always consistent, it’s still creative: we have a ride themed to a mythological creature of flight next to a jungle mine train. All of Dollywood’s rides are more or less themed to either Tennessee or the smokies with few exceptions.

I know people really want us to get a Camp Snoopy and I’d all be for it, but I don’t necessarily want a restrictive concept. Planet Snoopy is a concept that’s open and non restrictive. Maybe I’m just being nitpicky.

Since you admit you have never been to Dollywood, I encourage you give it a try before discounting it as simply a Tennesse themed park with ties to Dolly.  There is a lot of variety there and I think you will walk away with a much different opinion of that park.  Many people go in expecting to be flooded with Dolly stuff and walk away quite impressed with the park.  I wasn't overly excited on my first trip to Dollywood as a youngster and I was expecting to be flooded with country music and Dolly songs and sucky rides and walked away a fan of the park.  I make several visits every year. 

Also remember that it was previously Silver Dollar City and Dollywood is mostly owned by Herschend.  Dolly has an ownership stake and is the face of the place, but it was more a rebranding than a park dedicated to Dolly.

They don't just play Dolly songs LOL.  Heck with 9 to 5 playing at KI now, we hear more Dolly at KI than you do at Dollywood LOL:P 

According to their website, Dollywood averages 2 Dolly songs per hour.  Outside of the Dolly Parton themed area Adventures in Imagination you really do not hear or see much Dolly related stuff.

They have great themed areas with appropriate songs for the themed area. KI is getting better at that - who remembers pop music on I street LOL....

Most will say their theming is better and more consistent throughout the park than at KI.  They do a lot of things right.  The coaster theming for example is better than anything CF does and they actually maintain it.  From the food (all original except for Dippin Dots LOL), to the theming, to the shows, to the atmosphere, they have a lot of things going right for them.  Sure they don't have a space theme, but they don't need it either.

My neighbors just returned from a trip there and was the first time their teenage boys that are totally not country music fans went there.  They went in expecting the coasters to suck and to hear country music all day and not be as fun as KI and walked away saying that is their favorite overall park and plan to go again before school starts. 

They do a lot of little things right that go a long way.  In the JukeBox Junction themed area, one would expect a 50s/60s diner and sure enough they do, unlike our Panda Express in FestHaus LOL. And their rides and names are appropriate for the area as well.  Now KI has certainly been moving more towards that and fixing some of the wrongs of Paramount, so there is hope at some point for something like a FestHaus to either be rebranded or the food offerings change.

Personally, I was expecting more from this announcement than what was announced, but they have a target audience they are marketing to and feel this ride fits that market.  I was hoping for a hyper or giga, but even so they do have an underestimated/underappreciated coaster lineup.  They are a lot of fun.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

We regularly go to 3 "home" parks since we moved to SC.  I consider Dollywood as one of the best parks to visit with a first class ride operations.  Honestly, I prefer Dollywood over Carowinds or SFOG.  Lighting Rod and Thunderhead are two of my favorite wooden coasters.  (Not sure about Lightning Rod being a complete wooden coaster though now.)  Great themed park with very good selection of dining options.  

Do yourself a favor and visit Dollywood.  You will be impressed with the park. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Since you admit you have never been to Dollywood, I encourage you give it a try before discounting it as simply a Tennesse themed park with ties to Dolly.  There is a lot of variety there and I think you will walk away with a much different opinion of that park.  Many people go in expecting to be flooded with Dolly stuff and walk away quite impressed with the park.  I wasn't overly excited on my first trip to Dollywood as a youngster and I was expecting to be flooded with country music and Dolly songs and sucky rides and walked away a fan of the park.  I make several visits every year.

They don't just play Dolly songs LOL.  Heck with 9 to 5 playing at KI now, we hear more Dolly at KI than you do at Dollywood LOL:P 

According to their website, Dollywood averages 2 Dolly songs per hour.  Outside of the Dolly Parton themed area Adventures in Imagination you really do not hear or see much Dolly related stuff.

They have great themed areas with appropriate songs for the themed area. KI is getting better at that - who remembers pop music on I street LOL....

Most will say their theming is better and more consistent throughout the park than at KI.  They do a lot of things right.  The coaster theming for example is better than anything CF does and they actually maintain it.  From the food (all original except for Dippin Dots LOL), to the theming, to the shows, to the atmosphere, they have a lot of things going right for them.  Sure they don't have a space theme, but they don't need it either.

My neighbors just returned from a trip there and was the first time their teenage boys that are totally not country music fans went there.  They went in expecting the coasters to suck and to hear country music all day and not be as fun as KI and walked away saying that is their favorite overall park and plan to go again before school starts. 

They do a lot of little things right that go a long way.  In the JukeBox Junction themed area, one would expect a 50s/60s diner and sure enough they do, unlike our Panda Express in FestHaus LOL. And their rides and names are appropriate for the area as well.  Now KI has certainly been moving more towards that and fixing some of the wrongs of Paramount, so there is hope at some point for something like a FestHaus to either be rebranded or the food offerings change.

Personally, I was expecting more from this announcement than what was announced, but they have a target audience they are marketing to and feel this ride fits that market.  I was hoping for a hyper or giga, but even so they do have an underestimated/underappreciated coaster lineup.  They are a lot of fun.

3 hours ago, Rustbucket said:

We regularly go to 3 "home" parks since we moved to SC.  I consider Dollywood as one of the best parks to visit with a first class ride operations.  Honestly, I prefer Dollywood over Carowinds or SFOG.  Lighting Rod and Thunderhead are two of my favorite wooden coasters.  (Not sure about Lightning Rod being a complete wooden coaster though now.)  Great themed park with very good selection of dining options.  

Do yourself a favor and visit Dollywood.  You will be impressed with the park. 

I stated that I want to go there someday. I don’t have anything against the park at all, in fact it seems very charming and fun. It just seems like a lot of their theming is quite repetitive. One of the rides that really stands out on is Mystery Mine which is themed to a haunted mineshaft which doesn’t really fit the Dollywood theme which I think is why it seems like the coolest concept. 

I look at our coasters and I just kinda like how the concepts have been executed a little better especially within the last three additions. In 2014 you have a roller coaster themed to a mythological spirit who literally whales whenever there’s a death. In 2017 you have a ride that takes riders into a shed where they encounter one of three types of beasts that strike at you. In 2020 the universe decided to yeet meteors at earth so we built and escape shuttle of sorts. 

Like I said, each park is different and I want to visit Dollywood someday but I wish in the future they would create rides that are always meant to be cheery. Again I am not the target demographic so take what I say with the great salt.

19 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

It just seems like a lot of their theming is quite repetitive.

I respect your opinion about KI theming and all.  However, I found Dollywood themes to be far more interesting and effective than KI.  There is no coaster at KI that can match Mystery Mine.  I do not find Dollywood theming repetitive at all. In my view, no CF parks come close to Dollywood in theming. 

• Like 4

Dollywood is essentially a well themed European park that's in the US.  There are bits of theming between the individual rides that make it all blend together.  They also do well in making it all look good in the sense that its not easy seeing behind the scenes areas.   The park also has tons of trees mostly everywhere which helps with the setting.  This is part of a laundry list of reasons why Dollywood is my favorite park (even over the likes of the Disney parks I've been to, CP, HW, HP, KI, and Carowinds).

Also, I don't get the argument with the new coaster that it doesn't have much else to look at.  How many other Dollywood coasters do?  Thunderhead, Eagle, Tennessee Tornado, Lightning Rod- outside the queue and stations on those are all just tree clearings that happen to be on hills.  I'm sure the entry plaze, the queue and station on the new ride will be at Dollywood's standards. 

I also think with the way Dollywood has expanded, if you look at the train route, I believe the goal is to expand the park to the other loop and create a second station, so stuff around the new coaster may be filled in for the future.  Mystery Mine used to literally sit all by itself before other things got added.  Dollywood plans ahead very well, as evidenced IMO by the way they made the park a full loop in the first place (Thunderhead Gap and Tennessee Tornado used to be dead ends).   I trust in whatever avenue they go with.  

EDIT: I also want to add this since people often midjudge what the park is because its named after Dolly Parton.  Speaking as a music history buff, she has one of the greatest stories among any musician ever and she's one of the few country music artists I'll gladly listen to (and she has some serious music award hardware to boot, heck she's the type of person to initially decline a R&RHOF nomination).   Her story is very well woven into the park.  She's also done a ton for the surrounding area including helping out financially with the fire damage.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...