Kings Island Prestige Pass

Stoan

26 minutes ago, kikid74 said:

Has anyone renewed these without having received the e-mail (by following the direct link)? I didn't receive an e-mail, and didn't know if I'd even be able to renew my 2022 gold pass to the prestige upgrade without the invite. 

Not sure I understand.  There's no need for an invitation.  Prestige is available for new and renewing pass holders.  I even got a push notification from KI on my iPhone telling me about it, though I don't have a KI pass (technically, mine is Canadian, originally purchased in fall 2019...).  You've got the link in the OP.  If you want to renew into Prestige+, just enter your pass # and phone number, and it'll take you from there.

34 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Was it that hard to decide before it went live if Prestige+ would allow the one time front of the line pass at any park offering such benefit?  Or conditions of other benefits like the exclusive entrance?

Clear communication seems to be a struggle with CF...

You answered your own question.  It shouldn't be this hard for corporate to have a meeting where these things are determined.  Standard copy would then be provided to all parks for consistency, with small tweaks where appropriate (things like one-time front-of-line vs. FLP, referring to Cedar Point Shores vs. Soak City or what have you, etc.).  But a lot of text put out from the parks, even for the same exact thing, is different.  If it feels like there's a lack of communication externally, one wonders what it's like inside CFEC corporate and parks marketing departments...

• Like 1

So I have a question for everyone;

based off of the news that a prestige plus pass will be treated as a gold pass at other parks, in the article Tony posted today. Does that mean Prestige Plus pass bought at KI would NOT have early entry at CP as their gold pass for 2023 doesn’t include early entry?

22 hours ago, jsus said:

CP claims that Prestige+ will act as a Gold Pass at other parks, not the full line of Prestige+ benefits.  Basically, should be treated more like Platinum with some added benefits at your home park.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/2022/guide-to-2023-season-passes

Is this a mistake that their Prestige+ pass would only get you Gold benefits at other parks and not Platinum benefits, meaning Prestige+ is actually inferior to a Platinum Pass in ways? If it's true that only Prestige+ benefits apply to the home park and that it functions as a Gold Pass everywhere else, people that bought a KI Prestige+ pass could have been burned with no ERT at Cedar Point, since there is no longer ERT for Gold Passes there.

I was so close to buying a KI Prestige+ Pass, but if what they're advertising is accurate now, my KI Platinum Pass is of more benefit, because I regularly use it for ERT at CP.

Cedar Fair has really failed on this sloppy Prestige+ Pass launch. There has been so much uncertainty in its benefits. How are customers supposed to know what it offers when employees and even corporate doesn’t seem sure yet? A Prestige+ Pass should be universally a higher level than a Platinum pass for all their parks, and it should include Prestige+ benefits at all parks that have them available. For example, you should get a single-use FL+ at every CF park if they have a FL+ system.

UPDATE: Kings Island customer service said that Prestige+ should work as a Platinum Pass at all other Cedar Fair parks, and that Gold was a mistake in this guide.

• Like 2

^Good catch - more and more so looking like this would have been better rolled out as a Prestige add-on rather than a new pass...

So in the write up CP says it acts like a gold pass at other parks, yet in the write up for Platinum it says:

Then, there’s a new “premium version” of the Platinum Pass that adds even more benefits. It’s the…

NEW! PRESTIGE PLUS PASS

which the gold pass comment obviously contradicts this.  Wonder if CP meant to say platinum instead of gold?

The roll-out of this and communication inconsistencies has been horrible, yet people are purchasing it even with all these discrepancies and unknowns....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jsus said:

Not sure I understand.  There's no need for an invitation.  Prestige is available for new and renewing pass holders.  I even got a push notification from KI on my iPhone telling me about it, though I don't have a KI pass (technically, mine is Canadian, originally purchased in fall 2019...).  You've got the link in the OP.  If you want to renew into Prestige+, just enter your pass # and phone number, and it'll take you from there.

Ok, thanks. I wondered if the offer was tied to specific pass #’s. Sounds like it’s not. 

5 minutes ago, FreedomPenguin said:

I’m not sure how different prestige would of bee

i just renewed yesterday @ 130. Was it 130 and then 199 on top? Or 60 dollar difference? 

The Prestige pass just good for KI is $299 total (plus fees and taxes).  So if the gold pass is $130, the Prestige would be $169 more.

• Like 1

I called Kings Island for further clarification on this mess. The representative was very kind and confident with her information. She said that the main Prestige+ Pass benefits only apply to the home park (Except the 15% discount). I told her that people were having success using their KI Prestige+ Pass benefits at Cedar Point, which she said was absolutely a mistake on CP's part. I also pointed out the guide on CP's website, where it specifically states that Prestige+ Passes will work as Gold at other Cedar Fair parks. She said that this is also a mistake, and that it should have definitely said that the Prestige+ Pass works as a Platinum Pass at all other Cedar Fair parks.

So, now for those like myself that want the benefits at all Cedar Fair parks, will there be a Prestige++ Pass? :lol:

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 9:48 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

My CP experience:

For their VIP lounge, it said that we had a valid Prestige Pass+, but also that we didn’t have access. They let us in anyway. 

We went to GS to ask about FOTL since we were told no at a retail shop, just to make sure. They said that it was good at CP and printed them out without a problem. For that time being you have to go to a courtesy booth to get the vouchers there. 

I informed them of the VIP situation, and they said they’d send it up the chain - but confirmed it is valid.

I hope they sell a lot, but not a ton of these. I want it to be successful, but don’t want it to fall victim to its own success. I really like the program.

For the sake of context I must disclose the I have a Kings Island PP+ pass. 

Seems like they were correct when your pass did not grant you access to the lounge.

Maybe the employees just overrode the system to give you the one single ride flp?

Cedar Point's website is less vague than ki's but still has issues like saying prestige plus will act like a "gold" at other parks.

I have a suggestion @BoddaH1994 why don't you ask Don Helbig on your next podcast before more people spend 400$ to just be disappointed when trying to redeem features such as a single flp at another park besides the home?

So will they refund those that purchased based on others being able to use at other parks lol (sarcastic rhetorical question)...

I, and others, have said before, but it is sounding more and more like this should have been a park specific add-on instead of a new pass.

The one-time front of the line perk at other parks with the program is a significant perk that the loss of that makes prestige+ less attractive.

• Like 1

Question. If you upgrade from a Gold to a prestige plus or platinum plus does that include unlimited fall visits to Cedar Point or is the "unlimited fall visits" just for Kings Island and the other Cedar Fair parks entry not start until next season? I am guessing the latter.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, disco2000 said:

The Prestige pass just good for KI is $299 total (plus fees and taxes).  So if the gold pass is $130, the Prestige would be $169 more.

Got it

for me it’s totally not worth it. Paid 310 for gold pass, drink plan and meal plan. Lines are never a big deal to me and I get to eat and drink all day. Parking, it’s good exercise so I don’t mind it.

seems like a hassle to have to get that Fast Lane ticket everytime you go to. At double + price of gold pass. Nah not for me. If I need to cool down I will just hangout inside the place with Chinese food court 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FreedomPenguin said:

Got it

for me it’s totally not worth it. Paid 310 for gold pass, drink plan and meal plan. Lines are never a big deal to me and I get to eat and drink all day. Parking, it’s good exercise so I don’t mind it.

seems like a hassle to have to get that Fast Lane ticket everytime you go to. At double + price of gold pass. Nah not for me. If I need to cool down I will just hangout inside the place with Chinese food court 

Yep, I think guest services will be fielding lots of buyer remorse over this pass.  I think many people bought it thinking it was more value than it is, plus it seems like every iteration of the conditions becomes more restrictive.

I know several that bought it based on other's experiences of being able to get a front of the line to CP with a KI Prestige+ pass.  My one group of friends went last weekend to to CP and got the front of the line ticket each day and they were turned down this weekend for it.

But I also have several friends who they are part of the demographic that this will work well for - the grandparents that take their grandchildren to the park during the weekday and all the teachers out there that take their kids to the park and they now have a somewhat secluded area to work on getting ready for the next school year.  I am sure some ride junkies will purchase as well, but I see this pass being more popular with the non-riders of the family.

And you are right, on the hot days, there are a lot better AC places to cool down than a VIP lounge that is some tarps and fans LOL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raptor said:

Question. If you upgrade from a Gold to a prestige plus or platinum plus does that include unlimited fall visits to Cedar Point or is the "unlimited fall visits" just for Kings Island and the other Cedar Fair parks entry not start until next season? I am guessing the latter.

Just got an answer back from Kings Island and it would be good at all Cedar Fair parks for the rest of this year. Cool.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2022 at 4:29 AM, disco2000 said:

^Good catch - more and more so looking like this would have been better rolled out as a Prestige add-on rather than a new pass...

So in the write up CP says it acts like a gold pass at other parks, yet in the write up for Platinum it says:

Then, there’s a new “premium version” of the Platinum Pass that adds even more benefits. It’s the…

NEW! PRESTIGE PLUS PASS

which the gold pass comment obviously contradicts this.  Wonder if CP meant to say platinum instead of gold?

The roll-out of this and communication inconsistencies has been horrible, yet people are purchasing it even with all these discrepancies and unknowns....

I agree.

Honestly, I’ve had a very good experience with the Prestige Pass+ so far, both at Kings Island and Cedar Point. The price I paid, almost $400, was justified by assuming I’d have the added benefits at all of the parks. Granted, the Kings Island benefits are by far the most valuable to me, but I still feel like if they pull back on the benefits at the other parks then it will still feel a little like I was sold a bill of goods. 

Knowing that this is a new program, I still have the following questions:

1. Do I get the Prestige perks at all of the parks? I understand the most parks don’t have a VIP lounge, but front of the line? Preferred parking? How, in the name of whatever god you believe in, was this not discussed, clarified, and finalized before the passes went on sale? 

2. If my perks aren’t good at other parks why I able to use them at Cedar Point? Are you going to take that away at this point? 

3. Why were (presumably) hundreds of thousands of emails sent out offering a immediate upgrade to Prestige without the employees knowing? The first girl we spoke to at CP hadn’t even heard of the pass. Why was this not prioritized?

4. How many Prestige passes are you going to sell? Preferred parking is limited. Heck it was nearly full yesterday. Did I pay for a perk that can only be used if you get there at 9:30 a.m.? Are you going to continue to sell Preferred Parking? If so, why are you selling someone else a parking spot that I already paid for? Same goes with VIP Lounge. Will that be expanded to meet demand? 

I think that all of these questions are, like, day one things that should have been addressed. I do not believe that this being a new program is reasoning for none of this information to have been secure. From what it appears, the demand looks to be pretty high. I think the next 12 months will be very telling as to whether Cedar Fair has created a tier of loyal Prestige Pass holders for 2024, or disgruntled Platinum Pass holders. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I agree.

Honestly, I’ve had a very good experience with the Prestige Pass+ so far, both at Kings Island and Cedar Point. The price I paid, almost $400, was justified by assuming I’d have the added benefits at all of the parks. Granted, the Kings Island benefits are by far the most valuable to me, but I still feel like if they pull back on the benefits at the other parks then it will still feel a little like I was sold a bill of goods. 

Knowing that this is a new program, I still have the following questions:

1. Do I get the Prestige perks at all of the parks? I understand the most parks don’t have a VIP lounge, but front of the line? Preferred parking? How, in the name of whatever god you believe in, was this not discussed, clarified, and finalized before the passes went on sale? 

2. If my perks aren’t good at other parks why I able to use them at Cedar Point? Are you going to take that away at this point? 

3. Why were (presumably) hundreds of thousands of emails sent out offering a immediate upgrade to Prestige without the employees knowing? The first girl we spoke to at CP hadn’t even heard of the pass. Why was this not prioritized?

4. How many Prestige passes are you going to sell? Preferred parking is limited. Heck it was nearly full yesterday. Did I pay for a perk that can only be used if you get there at 9:30 a.m.? Are you going to continue to sell Preferred Parking? If so, why are you selling someone else a parking spot that I already paid for? Same goes with VIP Lounge. Will that be expanded to meet demand? 

I think that all of these questions are, like, day one things that should have been addressed. I do not believe that this being a new program is reasoning for none of this information to have been secure. From what it appears, the demand looks to be pretty high. I think the next 12 months will be very telling as to whether Cedar Fair has created a tier of loyal Prestige Pass holders for 2024, or disgruntled Platinum Pass holders. 

When was it ever stated that the perks were good at other parks?  Sounds like they shut you out of their vip lounge but let you in and gave you the single front of line since they didn't know what they were doing.

6 hours ago, Coastercrush said:

When was it ever stated that the perks were good at other parks?  Sounds like they shut you out of their vip lounge but let you in and gave you the single front of line since they didn't know what they were doing.

It wasn’t. But it also wasn’t stated that they weren’t available. 

Platinum Pass benefits are good at all parks that have Gold Pass benefits. It’s a reasonable assumption that this is the same way. Plus, it’s not so much they didn’t know what they were doing so I got the benefits. I was told by the Guest Services associate that the benefits were good. I was also able to use them. To back pedal after that would be highly unethical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

It wasn’t. But it also wasn’t stated that they weren’t available. 

Platinum Pass benefits are good at all parks that have Gold Pass benefits. It’s a reasonable assumption that this is the same way. Plus, it’s not so much they didn’t know what they were doing so I got the benefits. I was told by the Guest Services associate that the benefits were good. I was also able to use them. To back pedal after that would be highly unethical.

Plus they caveated it with "+Prestige + Passholder benefits may vary by park. Contact the park you are planning to visit for any questions regarding applicable benefits" which most would interpret that you get the benefits the other park offers their prestige passholders (if the park has the program as not every park is doing this) as some parks may offer more or less than your home park.

Previously, a platinum passholder with KI as their home park would get the same benefits going to CP as the platinum passholder with CP as their home park.  So logically one would conclude that if you have a prestige+ pass, then you would get the prestige benefits another park provides.

And @BoddaH1994 makes a good point, even for the parks that don't have Prestige, they should be able to print a single use front of the line pass for Prestige+ passholders visiting the park.  But even so, one would expect to at least get that at the parks that do have the Prestige program.

I am sounding like a broken record LOL, but if the benefits were meant to only be park specific, then this should have been a park-exclusive add-on to the platinum pass instead of this "premium" prestige+ pass that doesn't sound too premium as more attempts to clean up the language seem to devalue this pass offering.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, disco2000 said:

And @BoddaH1994 makes a good point, even for the parks that don't have Prestige, they should be able to print a single use front of the line pass for Prestige+ passholders visiting the park.  But even so, one would expect to at least get that at the parks that do have the Prestige program.

The problem with this is that training will not stick if it relates to a program that will be used so rarely. When I was at Valleyfair, the employee at one of the stores commented "ooh, a Platinum Pass" when I scanned my pass for the discount and said that mine was only like the third she'd seen all year (probably because there are no Cedar Fair parks particularly close to that one so locals certainly won't buy Platinum very often). If employees at the smaller more distant parks rarely see platinums, Prestige+ will be even more rare and you can expect a hard time getting them to give you a promo that was probably mentioned one time in their first week of employment, if at all.

Heck, my first visit to Valleyfair I bought Fast Lane and I asked which rides required Fast Lane Plus (not realizing that all FUN parks didn't have FLP) and she literally said "what's Fast Lane Plus?"

If the Valleyfair people don't know what Fast Lane Plus is and rarely see platinum passes, you can't expect them to know about the front-of-the-line pass when the extremely rare Prestige+ passholder shows up.

• Like 1

^You can have that happen at KI too when they have only been trained for gold pass and you try to redeem a platinum meal plan.  On their screen they are trained for the meal plan in the middle of the screen but the platinum is on the right side of the screen (or they were not paying attention during training lol) and they tell you that you don't have a meal plan.   This has happened to several people I know after multiple visits to the park they were told they don't have a meal plan.  Usually resolved when a super comes over.  But I get your point. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, disco2000 said:

^You can have that happen at KI too when they have only been trained for gold pass and you try to redeem a platinum meal plan.  On their screen they are trained for the meal plan in the middle of the screen but the platinum is on the right side of the screen (or they were not paying attention during training lol) and they tell you that you don't have a meal plan.   This has happened to several people I know after multiple visits to the park they were told they don't have a meal plan.  Usually resolved when a super comes over.  But I get your point. 

I have experienced that a few times this season. One time the cashier did not believe me even after I was trying to tell her I had a meal plan. The girl just handed me the food. 

On 8/16/2022 at 10:43 AM, flightoffear1996 said:

Should we do an upgrade if we are changing from gold to Platinum pass?  We are planning visiting KD for the fist time this weekend.

From what I've heard, no. The prestige is more expensive and the base version won't get you into other parks. The upgraded prestige sounds like it might need another year to flush out issues