Kings Island’s 2022 capex is (sort of) announced!

BoddaH1994

See the plan I wrote in early 2021 for how I would like to see money spent over the next few years to upgrade the park:

Kings Island plan
------------------------
2021 - New Campsite, General Park Improvements
2022 - 50th Anniversary, Re-paint Racer, Retheme the Entrance to The Beast, Substantial track work on The Beast. Pipe Dream: New trains for The Beast.
2023 - A lot of teasers that something big and daunting is coming, general park improvements. Plant lots of trees/ foliage around the wet and dry park to add shade (Light Year)
2024 - A Intamin Blitz coaster replaces Vortex. Record setting length and inversions. The Beast defeated Vortex, the last effort to control the monster, Kings Island would not let that happen this time. Billed as the most intense rollercoaster in the world. King's Island invites you to test your limits on this massive knot of steel. (A clear competitor for #1 in the world. The capital should be here after a couple light years in a row)
2025 - Invertigo is removed, Action Zone Rebranded to The Dark Forest, Additional Theming added, (Light Year)
2026 - Water Park improvements, a new water coaster as well as repaving/ adding more shade, slides that need repainted also get painted
2027 - Bat is retired. Planet Snoopy is converted into Camp Snoopy. Theming and more water added. A new thrilling flat added in the place of Invertigo.
2028 - A new S & S axis coaster that replaces The Bat. Coaster heavily interacts with the terrain and near-miss elements are a feature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrSourNinja said:

See the plan I wrote in early 2021 for how I would like to see money spent over the next few years to upgrade the park:

Kings Island plan
------------------------
2021 - New Campsite, General Park Improvements
2022 - 50th Anniversary, Re-paint Racer, Retheme the Entrance to The Beast, Substantial track work on The Beast. Pipe Dream: New trains for The Beast.
2023 - A lot of teasers that something big and daunting is coming, general park improvements. Plant lots of trees/ foliage around the wet and dry park to add shade (Light Year)
2024 - A Intamin Blitz coaster replaces Vortex. Record setting length and inversions. The Beast defeated Vortex, the last effort to control the monster, Kings Island would not let that happen this time. Billed as the most intense rollercoaster in the world. King's Island invites you to test your limits on this massive knot of steel. (A clear competitor for #1 in the world. The capital should be here after a couple light years in a row)
2025 - Invertigo is removed, Action Zone Rebranded to The Dark Forest, Additional Theming added, (Light Year)
2026 - Water Park improvements, a new water coaster as well as repaving/ adding more shade, slides that need repainted also get painted
2027 - Bat is retired. Planet Snoopy is converted into Camp Snoopy. Theming and more water added. A new thrilling flat added in the place of Invertigo.
2028 - A new S & S axis coaster that replaces The Bat. Coaster heavily interacts with the terrain and near-miss elements are a feature.

As much as I would love an Intamin blitz, I doubt we'll see CF work with Intamin anytime soon. 

I also just really doubt we will see a coaster for a few years. Kings Island is normally on the 3-5 year cycle (2009,2014,2017,2020) for new coasters. I just keep thinking back to how much revenue theey had to lose in 2020 and 2021. I bet the ROI for Orion was so bad due to the awful timing of its opening and COVID.

All things considered, given how bad the past 24 months had to be for Kings Island, I thought the park was in great shape this year when I returned. I was so pleased. I would really be surprised if we go anything "big" before 2025. This is all just  my novice opinion. You all are all much more in tune with the park than myself. 

• Like 1

Just now, KI FANATIC 37 said:

I also just really doubt we will see a coaster for a few years. Kings Island is normally on the 3-5 year cycle (2009,2014,2017,2020) for new coasters. I just keep thinking back to how much revenue theey had to lose in 2020 and 2021. I bet the ROI for Orion was so bad due to the awful timing of its opening and COVID.

All things considered, given how bad the past 24 months had to be for Kings Island, I thought the park was in great shape this year when I returned. I was so pleased. I would really be surprised if we go anything "big" before 2025. This is all just  my novice opinion. You all are all much more in tune with the park than myself. 

I hear what you're saying but I really don't think CF is in a bad spot anymore with their record revenues. If they wait until 2025 for something big, I fully expect attendance to decrease substantially at the park. I think they HAVE to add something solid next year or people will just bail on their season passes. I am already not renewing ours next year. So, they will have to win us back.

• Like 4

I wouldn’t put it past Kings Island to make a late announcement for something going where SlingShot was. A small classic flat ride or a small eatery could be announced in the coming months for the location and be ready for next season. I say this because removing SlingShot was definitely a last minute decision. Since it was last minute, I doubt replacement plans were already in the works as the removal was not in the park’s long-term plan. Kings Island probably just didn’t have anything major slated for 2023 as no signs of surveying or permits being filed were seen earlier in the season. For Carowinds’ Aeronautica Landing, for example, plans were filed for the project in January.

Since SlingShot was removed, though, I could see something small taking its place next year. There were markers behind it which indicates that at least something is going to happen with the plot eventually. Also, Kings Island said that SlingShot was removed for future plans. Parks plan years in advance for future projects, so the future plans Kings Island described may be relatively last minute plans. April, Richard Zimmerman said that plans were already in motion for Kings Island’s next few seasons. I highly doubt that SlingShot was ever a part of these long-term plans due to its sudden removal. A late announcement of something small to replace it would not be surprising in my opinion. A small flat or restaurant cannot be marketed like a new area or rollercoaster; so there is no rush to announce. Think Liberty Twirler at California’s Great America or Coney BBQ at Kings Island. Both of those additions were announced late.

• Like 1