2023 gold passes by Cedar Fair park. Do you think this accurately reflects the supply/demand?

chuck norris

With pass prices being released this week; here’s a comparison of all the Cedar Fair parks.

It’s crazy that Cedar Point (the flagship of the brand) gold pass is only $99! If someone locally really only wants to go to KI and CP; buying gold at each park would actually be cheaper than buying a platinum pass!

Knotts gold pass seems REALLY high. I get that everything costs more in Southern California. But I wonder if this is an attempt to really try to curb the issues with teens they have had.

Listed high to low. Prices for new 2023 gold passes as of today. Price in parentheses is the renewal price.

Knotts: $170 (160)

Kings Island: 130 (124)

Carowinds: 120 (115)

Kings dominion: 104 (99)

Dorney 104 (104)

Canada: 104 (99) Canadian … this is $78 USD.

Cedar Point : 99 (99)

Cali GA: 95 (89)

Worlds: 94 (94)

Michigan: 89 *no extended seasons

Valley: 85 (85)

Has anyone ever bought a pass with Canadas wonderland as your home park? I assume the prices online are all Canadian dollars. So does that mean a platinum pass bought for CW would actually only be ~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

Has anyone ever bought a pass with Canadas wonderland as your home park? I assume the prices online are all Canadian dollars. So does that mean a platinum pass bought for CW would actually only be ~

It's a bit of an open secret.  You wouldn't be the first person to buy a Canada's Wonderland Platinum Pass.  Prices listed are in CAD, but keep in mind that a US credit/debit card will be hit with whatever your Foreign Transaction Fee is (generally 0-3%).  Taxes are higher there, but there's also the exchange rate...

• Like 1

Carowinds, Dominion, and Knotts have longer seasons, so one could assume all things being equal that they would be higher than KI and only Knotts is.  Cost of living is higher in Charlotte than Cincinnati so that rules that difference out.  CP and Wonderland seem woefully underpriced for the attendance they both get, especially Wonderland given the cost of living adjustments (even with the conversions) that is higher than Cincinnati.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jsus said:

It's a bit of an open secret.  You wouldn't be the first person to buy a Canada's Wonderland Platinum Pass.  Prices listed are in CAD, but keep in mind that a US credit/debit card will be hit with whatever your Foreign Transaction Fee is (generally 0-3%).  Taxes are higher there, but there's also the exchange rate...

Some credit cards, such as Chase Sapphire Preferred, don't have foreign transaction fees.

13 minutes ago, DiamondbackFan said:

Some credit cards, such as Chase Sapphire Preferred, don't have foreign transaction fees.

Thus I said generally between 0 and 3%. ;)

The bigger concern would be the foreign transaction triggering a fraud alert you'll need to look out for, depending on the bank.

Once you also add in the platinum dining; this seems like a great deal to order my pass through Canada wonderland.

Does anyone know someone who actually does this? Other than some random pass perks; what else could I be missing/messing up from switching to Canada wonderland?

If I were to switch from Kings Island, is that considered a new pass? Or would it still be considered a renewal since I’m in the Cedar Fair system?

I have renewed my pass through Canadas Wonderland before.  You can renew a platinum pass through any park, I would pick a park based on what you whatever is best for you.  Renewing using Canadas Wonderland does change your “home park” to CW, but very little real differences.  COVID did mean those of us who did this in 2019 received a very nice bonus since the park was closed all of 2020 and much of 2021, those passes are still valid and do not expire for several more weeks.

I can only think of one downside, the renewal Fast Lane is from whatever you park you renew at, so renew at CW and you can only receive the free Fast Lane perk there.

The tax on passes at CW is significant, it is still a considerable savings over renewing at Kings Island, but last time I did it half of the savings due to the exchange rate was taken away due to the taxes.

• Like 1

If one can renew online at any park, they must have changed it.   Last year i tried to renew my KI issued platinum at KD online and it would not recognize my pass.  I had to buy a new issue pass at guest relations.   Or maybe it was just system error. 

With dining and drinks after exchange rate, tax and cc fees the Wonderland platinum pass works out to about $395 US   vs around  $465 at the US parks  

I appreciate the original post here   I’m planing to go to Wonderland next week and will probably buy my 2023 pass there

The true bonus for me is that my sales tax payment will go to Ontario instead of this corrupt Ohio Republican govt.  that refuses to use the voter approved law for determining districts   The less tax paid to fund them the better

5 minutes ago, super7 said:

If one can renew online at any park, they must have changed it.   Last year i tried to renew my KI issued platinum at KD online and it would not recognize my pass.  I had to buy a new issue pass at guest relations. 

That is how myself and @electricsunrenewed ours last year. No issues at all. 

13 hours ago, super7 said:

If one can renew online at any park, they must have changed it.   Last year i tried to renew my KI issued platinum at KD online and it would not recognize my pass.  I had to buy a new issue pass at guest relations.   Or maybe it was just system error. 

The system asks a question along with the pass number to verify it’s your pass.  This year during renewal it is your phone number, I know if you were adding the pass to an online account it was asking birthday earlier this year. If you do not enter exactly what it is looking for it cannot find your pass.  Likely some piece of information was set wrong, guest services can fix this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, super7 said:

With dining and drinks after exchange rate, tax and cc fees the Wonderland platinum pass works out to about $395 US   vs around  $465 at the US parks  

I appreciate the original post here   I’m planing to go to Wonderland next week and will probably buy my 2023 pass there

The true bonus for me is that my sales tax payment will go to Ontario instead of this corrupt Ohio Republican govt.  that refuses to use the voter approved law for determining districts   The less tax paid to fund them the better

Did you have to "buy" an actual pass card or did they give you a new one for free?

22 hours ago, chuck norris said:

Once you also add in the platinum dining; this seems like a great deal to order my pass through Canada wonderland.

Does anyone know someone who actually does this? Other than some random pass perks; what else could I be missing/messing up from switching to Canada wonderland?

If I were to switch from Kings Island, is that considered a new pass? Or would it still be considered a renewal since I’m in the Cedar Fair system?

For a family of two platinum passes going through cw with 1 meal plan, 1 drink plan and two asflp I will save around $330 after tax and conversion.

16 hours ago, super7 said:

it is my understanding that upgrades need to be done at the home park. I upgraded at KI to platinum from Gold in July to get CP access without problems. Only issue was funpix had to re enter my email at keyhole photo. Not sure why. May have something to do with the qr code. But it must done at the issuing park from what I have been told from others.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coastercrush said:

Did you have to "buy" an actual pass card or did they give you a new one for free?

They gave me a new card for 2022 at KD when I bought the platinum.   It wasn’t an upgrade.  I was renewing platinum.  

But anyway I just went through the steps to renew at CW and it worked.  Depending on exchange rate and cc feed it works out to about $390-$395.   I’m still going to wait until I’m actually at CW to renew though.