Need a good 3d program for KI coaster creation

Gordon Bombay

Does anybody know of a good 3d designing program that I can use to make coasters? I dont need to be able to ride them like in RCT3. I just need a 3d program to design them and recreate them. Its for a school project. Im going to desing my own futuristis coaster. I cant use programs like No Limits coaster designer or RCT3, i need a real 3d program.

Or Bryce 5. The IJST video was made with Alias|Wavefront's Maya program. Bryce is the same thing but costs less. It is a generic 3d modeling program, and I have been able to make some cool things on it - including most of Delirium, and a tub from the Flying Eagles - all in 3d.

user posted image

user posted image

Somebody wanted to see my models - so here they are. They are both unfinished. Duhlee needs another 4-6 hours for the modeling and multireplication of the seats. The flyer tub needs another 6 hours or so until it is a complete Flying Eagles. I work on it when I have spare time. laugh.gif

Edit: I think I need to make the rudder bigger on the flyer. Plus, when you figure in detail work fur Dulee (bolts and stuff), its probably closer to 10+ hours to finish. unsure.gif

Edited by TheKlockster

In the original post it says they can't use rollercoaster programs such as RCT or No Limits. I recommend using Mechanical Desktop. (its AutoCAD with extras)

Mechanical Desktop is ok, but if you really want to make it easier on yourself and make better looking models use Solid Edge. This is what we use at school and it is a better program by far. You'll have to find a copy somewhere because I believe it is quite expensive.

AutoCad would probably be the best idea. You can do almost anything in "free space" and then convert everything into 3-D. It is very expensive though, unless you go to an University and they may sale it a little cheeper, esp if a class needs it. This is what I want to do withe the Flight of Fear. I want to make an exact replica of the plans, put it all into 3-D, then put it into a Flyby model which is like what RT3 does, but better. You can program it to do anything you want and I am hoping to have it go through all the Ques, then into the saucer, onto the train, go thru the entire ride and end up in Unload. Only problem is I dont have the deminions of the ride or the building. If anyone knows where I can find this, I would appreciate it.

• 4 weeks later...

If you work at PKI, get a chance sometime to look at some old coaster plans in a lot of the conference rooms, offices and such. Today, while doing some training in the maintenance conference room there were some old 3D conceptual plans for the Son of Beast. What it looked like were some basic structural printouts on clear over-head film, then cut into the shape of the ride. It was also on layers of what looked like cardboard to simulate the topography of the land it is on (like one of those Puzz3D 3D puzzles). Just an idea for your project if you need some physical plans.