Smoking Ban?

UncleHenry

At the ACE winter meeting today, Maureen Kaiser spoke about IJST and showed her now famous DVD (made with Jeff Siebert). She also dropped a hint at something that may come to PKI in 2005. She said there were more announcements to be made, "possibly within the next week." She said we'd enjoy these additions that would "help us eat better, help us breathe better."

So are we getting new restaurants and a ban on smoking? Talk amongst yourselves.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda glad PKI is banning smoking, although smoke doesnt bother me, except for in queue lines where its closed in. Hopefully they will have some designated areas so the people who do smoke can still come and enjoy the park. A smoking ban should enable ride crews to get done a few minutes earlier at night, and save the park a lot of money for ecology time, etc.

I'm kinda glad PKI is banning smoking, although smoke doesnt bother me, except for in queue lines where its closed in. Hopefully they will have some designated areas so the people who do smoke can still come and enjoy the park. A smoking ban should enable ride crews to get done a few minutes earlier at night, and save the park a lot of money for ecology time, etc.

He didn't say PKI banned smoking.

good idea to have designated smoking areas.....bad idea to have a total ban on smoking. I don't smoke, but those people have families and spend money too. The fun part will be enforcing the policy. I can't stand queue smokers.

At the IJST tour, I noticed that Preston Tuckers was looking a little bare. I know that there was construction, but all the signs were down on the other side as well. This led me to believe that Preston Tuckers may see a retheme. Would I be off in saying this?

So are we getting new restaurants and a ban on smoking? Talk amongst yourselves.

I don't know about the smoking ban but I know for sure that this season will surely provide some happy days at the park and it will be greater than last year. Also, I think cows will be quite happy this year also. Enough hints for ya?

good idea to have designated smoking areas.....bad idea to have a total ban on smoking. I don't smoke, but those people have families and spend money too. The fun part will be enforcing the policy. I can't stand queue smokers.

At the IJST tour, I noticed that Preston Tuckers was looking a little bare. I know that there was construction, but all the signs were down on the other side as well. This led me to believe that Preston Tuckers may see a retheme. Would I be off in saying this?

Yes it is being rethemed. Read Dan's post, he all but tells you what both themes are...

While I appluad the park for banning smoking in the park there is one slight problem. The park could barely enforce the no smoking in queue lines rule, so how are they going to be able to enforce the no smoking in the park rule (with the exception of select areas most likely, like in Boomerang Bay and at Holiday World)?

I think what Maureen Kaiser made refrence too is the same thing Kings Dominon just announced not to long ago.... PKD got a Starbucks and a Cinabon put in their park and a no smoking ban put in place. This is probably what PKI will put in effect. Starbucks definently seems like a real possibility. We'll see how it turns out.

I think designated smoking areas would be a good thing for the park. It has been an issue at ball parks in Cincy and has been an issue for the city, as well. It seems likely that the park would eventually follow suit. I haven't heard anything regarding this yet, but smoking is not really an issue where I work anyhow. As for enforcing this rule, they'll do it just as they have in the past: as best they can. There will always be rule-breakers and people that don't care, just as there will always be associates that do care and will politely remind people of the ban, if it even happens.

On the food side of the issue, the Starbucks rumor is credible. I've heard possibilty that it could go in at the Bakery, but nothing is said to be set in stone. What is set in stone, however, is that guests will have some new choices in ice cream this year (but don't panic, we'll still see the Trauth's soft serve ice cream as in the past).

As for pleased cows, I did hear a rumor that Chik-Fil-A could take the place of Magilla Gorilla's Grill, but I have seen no sign that this is any more than a rumor.

Late last season, there was word of changes for Tucker's, but I don't think the theming will be much different from what it has been. I have yet to be out on that side of the park yet this year to see the progress.

I've also heard rumor of changes in store for Antique Treats and Mandarin Cusine (formerly All-Star Cafe).

This ban will make is easier to enforce. Security doesn't go into ride queues very often, so it's harder to enforce. Since smoking is banned everywhere now, security will have a better chance of stopping them. Also, since signs will be ALL over the park instead of lines, people will (most likely) see them.

The way I see it PKI's rides department will save over $20,000 if there is a smoking ban in place due to not ahving to pay the crews to stay around for an extra 15 + minutes each night to clean up cigarette butts in the queue houses. But with that being said I did say queue houses which smoking already was not permitted in them so who knows people will probably continue to do it. Need to have some type of enforcent of it. I wander if breaking the no smoking rule will be in violation of ORC 1711.551, or some other actual law, where the person could get a misdemeanor ticket for smoking in a restricted area.

I doubt there's any laws against smoking in queue lines. On the other hand, I have no doubt that smoking on the rides is illegal.

Now, you say they'll save $20,000 by not having the eco people have to clean up cigarettes all day long? May be true, but I bet they loose more by security having to take care of violators (labor) and people who would choose not go to the park because they don't have the "freedom" to smoke. I mean, I do know of people who avoid certain venus because they can't stand the smoke, but PKI is an ourdoor place, so I doubt they'll necessarily bring more people in with this. So long as they have designated smoking areas in convenient places throughout the park, it should all work out.

This ban will make is easier to enforce. Security doesn't go into ride queues very often, so it's harder to enforce. Since smoking is banned everywhere now, security will have a better chance of stopping them. Also, since signs will be ALL over the park instead of lines, people will (most likely) see them.

Not to start an argument, but where does it say PKI has officially banned smoking?

Now, you say they'll save $20,000 by not having the eco people have to clean up cigarettes all day long? May be true, but I bet they loose more by security having to take care of violators (labor) and people who would choose not go to the park because they don't have the "freedom" to smoke.

No I said the rides department would probably save $20,000 in time from ride ops having to clean the cigarette butts up in the queue house at night. That is in addition to any ecology savings from the ride exits/ rest of park. Sure they would have to spend more on labor to enforce it, it worked on Flight of Fear having a worker in the hangar, but in the long run it will save money.

I think that this would be great bc it is a great idea and make everyone else happy. Holiday World is amazing ad its great to see no cigerates all over the ground. :} way to go PKI!!!!!

I think we should invest in ash trays like CP has in the front of the lines. It makes people get the hint.