Smoking Ban?

UncleHenry

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You cant punish the whole crowd for like 2 bad people, it just doesnt work like that."

Actually, it does work that way. It was a lesson learned in the first grade for me. I believe my teacher said it only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch. I can't count the number of times that some jerk in class acting up wound up getting everyone in trouble.

True to that...I have delt with my share of bad apples and they always seem to muck up special occasions.

Then what would be a fair comparison. I mean honestly, I am starting to wonder about our government, or even policies of rules of certain companies, businesses, etc. when they make a decision to rule out a portion of there business. I mean i dont think its fair that im going to New York City this year on a 2 week trip, even though its with school if you are 18 you can smoke, except in Newyork there is a law that states you cant smoke. I dont think its right. You cant smoke in open air, in a hotel room you paid for, or your OWN CAR. It just makes no sense to me, it says you can get sick by doing it, it says they are addictive, it warns against second hand smoke, they do all this stuff to try to keep us from doing it but we still do it. I honestly think that even if a pack of ciggs were $8, most would quit, but there are still those few that would buy them for that much. I dont see how you can make consuming a product thats been around for years illegal. The way i see it is they are trying a prohibition thing with ciggarettes like they did with alcohol, and its not going to work. And your right, name calling was a bit extreme, but i feel very strongly on this subject.

I agree, DXRunner, that smoking should not be banned. My real wish is that they would enforce the no smoking in line policy and not worry about the rest. There's no need to ban open air smoking. I see where you are going with the government thing too. Slowly but surely over the next 20 years or less, we will have less and less personal freedoms. There is an interesting thread over at coasterbuzz about the same thing. Although the topic gets way off track and out of hand on the last page, the first three pages have legitimate arguements on both sides. I post there as coasterbuzzer if you want to know my opinion on the subject. Here's the link to coasterbuzz PKI Smoking Ban

I really see no need to ban smoking all together. I have friends that smoke and even though I am not a smoker, I allow people to smoke in my car, my apartment, or wherever. It's not my thing, but I am not going to stop anyone else. I think it is funny when people ask permission to smoke in my car or apartment. But, at least they respect me enough to ask. I guess some people really make a big deal of it, but I couldn't care less. I have also noticed on some ebay auctions in the descriptions it will state that the item came from a smoke free home. Now really, does it matter that much?

You are correct Boddah, people would buy $8.00/pack cigarettes. Ever been to Canada? That is about what they cost up there. My only complaint is I believe if you are going to smoke, your insurance should be higher.

In 2002 smoking was outlawed in bars and restaurants in New York city after a very long fight with many companys saying they would end up going out of business because of the ban. In the end what happened? Business actually went up not down. Turns out even some smokers prefer having them smoke free. In surveys only 4% of people said they were eating out less often then before the ban while I believe it was around 20% said they were eating out more often.

If you go and look at the big parks which PKI and the entire paramount park chain is trying to copy. Both Disney and Universal Studios also only allow smoking in marked areas.

Don't really want to add fuel to the fire except to say sometimes companys do these kinds of policys to make more money. Its quite simple if you do not agree with a policy don't go there. If the attendence at the park drops because of this policy trust me it will not last.

I wasn't really bothered much with the smokers at PKI. I only though PKI should have enforced their "No Smoking" in lines, enclosed structures, waterpark and kids area policy abit more! It ruined my day when I was stuck between a cigar smoker and a cigarete smoker for 40 minutes in FOF's line mad.gif I think the smokers favorite place to smoke is in Hanna-Barbera Land (I saw 16 people infront of The Beastie smoking all at once blink.gif ) Maybe they will have designated smoking areas like Disney and Universal, they did just build one in Boomerang Bay, didn't they?

The last 2 posts..... Are you guys kidding me? Its the crummy workers fault if they dont enforce the rules, in the crews in HB or fof, or whoever that if there is smoking in lines its there fault. Even though i smoke every time i saw a lit ciggarette even when not working, just as a guest i would tell them to put it out. If your not going to step up to someone who is breaking a rule why should a company have to make a stricter rule? Just so that you can avoid being the bad guy, whats up with that crap?

Kenban, I don't doubt what you are saying. However, it does not always work that way. I live in Huntington, WV and there is a smoking ban in restaurants that has forced some out of business. Others are still hanging on, but business has dropped significantly.

Kenban, I don't doubt what you are saying. However, it does not always work that way. I live in Huntington, WV and there is a smoking ban in restaurants that has forced some out of business. Others are still hanging on, but business has dropped significantly.

Bars are in a realm of there own. You can not compare an amusement park with bars. I know how bars and even some restaurants are hurting but it’s the right thing to do. The health and well being of our society is the winner on this deal.

Kenban, I don't doubt what you are saying.  However, it does not always work that way.  I live in Huntington, WV and there is a smoking ban in restaurants that has forced some out of business.  Others are still hanging on, but business has dropped significantly.

Thats interesting was not aware of the smoking ban in Huntington. Like I said at the end of the post if you don't like the ban all you need to do is not go to PKI. If attendance goes down you will not see the ban last very long. The problem is companys don't get the same say in the matter when forced in cases such as my example of New York. I actually don't support citys and states forcing smoking bans on restaurants. I just found what happened in New York interesting. Its actually very similar to what has occured in several other citys that have banned smoking in public locations which is why I brought it up if I had known about the problems in Huntington I would have said something. Normally the restaurants don't see any differance.

Ok that got totally off topic there for a second. I don't support government forcing companys to say that you can not smoke within the building. Except I do support companys who have a no smoking policy. It should be up to the company not the government what a paying customer can and cannot do. Oh and I know I said if park attendence goes down that your not going to see the smoking ban last very long. With a new high profile ride opening this year I except double digit growth so it would be very hard to put a dent in the attendence this year.

The health and well being of our society is the winner on this deal.

Are you joking? Society includes smokers too man. Dont you see people make the choice, or choice not, to smoke. And smurf boy, i hate people like you when it comes to this subject, dont you see the other side of the story at all? You think just because you dont smoke you should be glorified in some way and not have to be around the "second hand smoke" bull crap. If someone smokes around you and you dont like it, either say something or go away.

I'm not comparing restaurants to amusement parks. I believe kenban was the one who mentioned it. I was just giving another POV. Don't know if you guys have heard, but the government wants to ban salt as it is not good for you either. How do you feel about that one?

"I know how bars and even some restaurants are hurting but it’s the right thing to do. The health and well being of our society is the winner on this deal."

True enough that it might be for the best, but that isn't up for the government to decide for me. Crap! I'm sounding like a smoker over here! I am a non-smoker and now I'm taking up for them! Why? Because, it should not be the government's decision on whether or not people smoke or where they smoke, especially in the open air.

Smoke free is the way to be,it's about time PKI did something Iam a non smoker and I hate the ones who smoke near me they are mess'in up my rights not to smoke Iam so happy to hear PKI putting a ban on smoking.GOOD CALL PKI.GOOD CALL. biggrin.gif

On the other had, non-smokers have a tendancy to intrude on smokers' rights to smoke too. This is outdoors, so it's not like someone who is offended by the smell couldn't just walk away from it.

Smoke can hurt some people who have alergies or are very sensitive to smoke. And lets not forget whaat 99.9% of smokers do with the butt when there done. Someone has to clean that up.

Very true, but as far as the park's concerned, they also really have nowhere to dispose of the butts.

Because, it should not be the government's decision on whether or not people smoke or where they smoke, especially in the open air.

I agree that the government shouldn't be allowed to tell people where or where not to smoke, but I disagree it is the government's decision of whether people smoke or not. It is of course their right to decide whether people smoke or not, just like they can tell us that we can't run around naked in public or do illicit drugs. But as long as smoking is legal I do agree that they shouldn't tell people where or where not to smoke. And I in no way think they should make smoking illegal.

On the other had, non-smokers have a tendancy to intrude on smokers' rights to smoke too. This is outdoors, so it's not like someone who is offended by the smell couldn't just walk away from it.

That is what im trying to say. Do you guys realize that tobacco has been around for hundreds of years and was the way most people earn their living, most do, including my uncle who still farms it in KY. Im not saying government shouldnt make laws, im saying they shouldnt make rash ones, that can overall hurt the economy and major issues like that(like prohibition, i dont see them still trying to ban alcohol even though people get liver cancer from it, or drink themselves to death like my aunt did). There is also a reason they dont let people do illict drugs you moron, they are hallucinagens (sp?), depressants, stimulants, etc. They make you see stuff or make you motor skills go to crap, which smoking does none of these things. Yes i realize the cancer and health aspect of everything but its not pot or crack and they cant justify it, I think the whole thing is stupid. And for those who are sensitive or allergic, that is were mannors and such come in as I mentioned before, if you were to ask me to put out a ciggarrette I would. If you happen to encounter one of the few a$$holes that are that rude, you still have legs walk, away. The park also PAYS PEOPLE to clean up cig butts and other garbage, its called Ecology or more specifically pan and broomers, so there went that part of the arguement

My father is a tobacco farmer, and though nonsmokers have no right to infringe on smokers places, think of it this way, are parks going to consider throwing nonsmokers-asthmatics-sickly children away? no! they would get a horrible reputation for sending them away, but people who are smoking do pose a small threat on everyone around them, as it has been tested that sidestream smoke is the worst! which is what most nonsmokers breath, that and second hand smoke, they are both quite harmful to nonsmokers, and by secluding them, they are reducing the harm, not to mention that they are cutting ecology costs, holiday world has done it, even though they went from having employees of all ranges pick them up at any time, to not actually needing that since there are none, all the ashtrays are located in smoking areas and just outside the park. ha ha, I love the nonsmoking Idea, I have a friend who was almost assaulted for asking someone to put out their cigarette in TRTR's line, the outdoor part near the cave.

Let's keep in mind also, that it is private property, which the park lets you come in on when you buy a ticket, BUT it is still their land, and therefore, their rights on what they say you CAN and CANNOT do while within their premises.

This goes for anything from swimsuits to smoking and more.

The health and well being of our society is the winner on this deal.

Are you joking? Society includes smokers too man. Dont you see people make the choice, or choice not, to smoke. And smurf boy, i hate people like you when it comes to this subject, dont you see the other side of the story at all? You think just because you dont smoke you should be glorified in some way and not have to be around the "second hand smoke" bull crap. If someone smokes around you and you dont like it, either say something or go away.

I do speak up but most smokers are pigheaded the truth of this matter is smokers made a bad choice by smoking and I agree with familyman.

I don' think the government should be able to regulate where you can and can't smoke, but rather if its legal or not, and smoking is legal so people should be able to smoke. However I do believe that the indiviudual companie owners do have the right to ban smoking on their property it is thiers to determine that not the government.

"It is of course their right to decide whether people smoke or not, just like they can tell us that we can't run around naked in public or do illicit drugs."

But, people do illicit drugs, whether the government says it's legal or not. They are not really looking out for you, but themselves. If you overdose, you can't pay your taxes and that's less money to line politician's pockets. And, the whole running around naked stuff is crap. We are the most @ssbackwards country when it comes to this kind of stuff. As a nation, we are a bunch of prudes when you compare us to the rest of the world.