Geauga Lake to Make announcement 10 Nov.

Rumor has it that Cedar Fair is planning on something that will reface Geauga Lake as we all know it. Should be interesting. I know I am happy to live in Ohio where there are several entertainment options. Between all these parks competing for our attention and money it should keep us all happy riding the very best rides. I just bought my families season passes for what has to be the 6th year in a row and how to visit a few other parks this coming summer.

Couldd end up a mega park

Could.......but knowing how Cedar Fair likes to do things I will bet that this will become 2 seperate parks with 2 seperate admission charges. It does look like a nice revamp of the park.....but I hate to see all the nice landscaping and such left over from Sea World removed.

Yes, Geauga Lake will build the new Wildwater Kingdom where the Sea World/Wildlife side once was. It will be built in two phases:

Phase One, moving the Hurricane Mountain slides, add a tornado slide like PKI's Tasmanian Typhoon, an "action river" and a new family/kids play area. This will be ready for May '05. The existing wave pool will remain open.

Phase Two: A new wave pool, a swim-up adult bar, assortment of body and tube slides, and more, will open for 2006.

Not only will admission to Wildwater Kingdom be included with Geauga Lake admission, the single-day gate price will be brought down by $10 to $25.

Sounds like a combination that can bring the people back who were turned off by the higher prices and poor operation under Six Flags. A new group picnic pavilion area should also bring back the company picnics that were once the bread-and-butter of Geauga Lake.

That would be sad to see them charge a seperat admission for the water park. I love CP but think paying extra for something like a waterpark is lame. PKI has a much bigger waterpark and I love it. There is something there for the entire family. No to mention it helps spread the crowds out during the weekends.

• 4 weeks later...
Geauga Lake is a great park with some great rides and i think this is an awesome move by Cedar Fair!!!

I was very disappointed with my trip to GL this past year. It had some nice rides, but the employees were all very rude. I think that It'll be a few years before I try to make the trip there again.

"I think they bought it to keep other parks from getting it and if it don't make them money they will close it."

Now that is really stupid. You don't buy a park to keep someone else from acquiring it. They are in the business to make money, not lose money. If they didn't think they could turn it around, they would not have purchased it in the first place.

Klockster, no one is going to buy a park to keep someone else from obtaining it. They are in the biz to make money, not enemies. They bought it becuase they see the potential it has and obtained it for a really reasonable price. GL may become the park that CF attempts to compete with PKI for families.

I think I read in a press report that they said they did it to keep someone else from obtaining it. They said they didn't want another Six flags thing happening again.

It was a small price to pay to keep from having to compete.

GL and CP don't compete with PKI, their market area is 100 miles.

GL and CP are within each others market area.

How many people (general public) near PKI do you think would drive 250 miles to GL or 230 miles to CP?

from here

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...08/daily24.html

Cedar Fair, based in Sandusky, Ohio, said 2003 was a "soft" year for the Cleveland park, which it would rename Geauga Lake. But over the last three years, the company said, the park has averaged revenue of $64 million a year and a profit of about $16 million.

16 a year is going to take some time to make back the 169 million they have put in it.

I don't see the $$$$$$$ in it, you could almost make that with a savings account with 169 million.

Someone wanted to know how much land.

690 acres of land

In the Columbus Dispatch they stated that attendance at theme parks has rebounded this past season. PKI attendance increased 7 percent to 3.5 million as it introduced CDBB. Cedar Point’s attendance fell 4 percent to 3.2 million from 3.3 million from the 2003 season.

I found this to be very interesting. I always thought that PKI did much less than CP. Who’s the big dog in the yard now?