Rivertown Redevelopment

brenthodge

With the 50th wrapping up and no substantive announcements for 23 as of yet - thought it would be fun to "blue sky" one of the original area of the park that (like a lot of the original areas of the park) in DESPARATE need of some love and attention. RiveTown has potential to - I think.- be one of the best areas of the park again. It has some of the marque rides and attractions, but is lacking the focus and cohesive theming to once had. Im posting a connective narrative I wrote a while back to unify the area more, and will put down some thoughts around specific adds and revamps that could realistically be executed to bring a new energy to this area. I'd love to hear additional ideas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heres the story I wrote to start tying the area back together - we acknowledge that we are in "current time" but ground the elements that are in the area in a historical story. 

Rivertown thematic realignment and unifying story:

In the early part of 1872, in the quiet riverside town of King’s Landing, the Mason family sold most of their farm to the industrialist G.W. Koeney, who was looking to expand his manufacturing operations beyond his existing factory on the Ohio River in downtown Cincinnati. They retained ownership of the slaughterhouse, and the butchering business that had brought them their fame and wealth. Everyone knew “The BEST beast is at Mason’s”.

Things all went according to plan as the new factory was built by the lake, and the town began to grow with all the workers and their families… Everyone existed peacefully for years. A new rail line connected passengers and supplies with the farther reaches of the area, and new factories began to pop up along the roaring rapids of the White Water river. An ancient legend of a giant snake that slithered through the woods devouring children was shared around campfires by mischievous youth, but few gave it much heed. All was peaceful and productive in KingsLanding, the thriving RiverTown. That was until the summer of 1922 - 50 years after the sale of the property.

One summer day, a mysterious pig farmer dropped off a herd to be butchered at the slaughterhouse. Amongst  the herd he delivered was a crate. A strange snarling noise emanated form the crate as it violently shook. The mysterious farmer plead with the Masons to just take the creature off his hands and do with it what they would, as it was violent and “not of this world” Mr Mason carefully opened the crate, and  - legend has it - the creature spring from the crate - killing all of those at the slaughterhouse, and fled into the woods. Late that night - howls could be heard from deep in the woods, and in the early morning light, an eerie quiet blanketed the formerly bustling town of Kings Landing. No one showed up to work at the factory that day - in fact no one showed up in town at all. It was as if The Beast that escaped from the slaughterhouse wreaked its revenge on the entire town. No one was seen again, and soon the factories were boarded up by the banks and left to ruin.

• Like 6

rivertown imo needs more river themed rides. yes there's wwc, and the log flume don't count as that's claimed and technically in Planet Snoopy. while it would take away the haunt attraction. i would love to see the big brown box go away and something like kckc to come back to the area.

• Like 4

I've spoken about my desire to revamp Planet Snoopy several times, most recently here

(I hope that link works right :) )

perhaps a multi faceted revamp of that complete end of the park incorporating parts of PS, Rivertown and Coney.

First Planet Snoopy, Linus Launchers get relocated along with other changes in my plan above for PS.  The log flume ride gets "moved" into rivertown and a boundry is set around the bathrooms outside of Diamondback that shows a clear distinction between PS and Rivertown.

In rivertown, the log flume ride gets a revamp, Diamondback stays, The Beast, WWC, Mystic Timbers, etc...  that area remains basically the same.  However the area where Vortex once stood gets a Dive coaster addition.  However, rather than using the Que area where The Bat/Vortex once stood, the entry is located back along by The Beast entrance.  Rework LaRossas and the Arcade to allow for "back patio" dining and a view of the new Dive Coaster while you enjoy your pizza.  Meanwhile, add more theming to the train, even if its not live action theming like it once had, more mining town fake buildings to make you feel like you are strolling thru the old west.  Then eventually the big Box in the middle gets incorporated into an indoor wild mouse type experience using the exisitng que.  Or perhaps something else a little more temporary as there is a decent size plot of land b/w The Beast and Diamondback for a significant coaster.

With these changes intact, some of The Vortex land is now opened up to allow for multiple flats in the area.  JukeBox diner is relocated to the "Scaremart" building to allow for more indoor sit down dining while the Juke Box diner space could be used for a better path connecting Stunt coaster with Coney and adding even more additional flats.  Turn Coney into a "classic Flat section of the park, would fit into its current theming pretty well.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, medford said:

However the area where Vortex once stood gets a Dive coaster addition.  However, rather than using the Que area where The Bat/Vortex once stood, the entry is located back along by The Beast entrance.  Rework LaRossas and the Arcade to allow for "back patio" dining and a view of the new Dive Coaster while you enjoy your pizza.  

Please no dive coaster. There are plenty of better coaster options than a dive coaster imo. If there were to be a dive coaster added, I hope it'd be a gerstlauer infinity and not a B&M. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

Truthfully, I think Coney Mall or Action Zone need some more love before Rivertown.

If they did something to Rivertown I would hope we get like a Mack multi-launch or Intamin launch themed to the Wild West in Vortex plot with a restaurant with a out door deck to sit on and overlooking The Vortex plot of land.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

If they did something to Rivertown I would hope we get like a Mack multi-launch or Intamin launch themed to the Wild West in Vortex plot with a restaurant with a out door deck to sit on and overlooking The Vortex plot of land.

Rivertown is NOT the “Wild West” though. And does Rivertown really need another coaster assigned to it? It already has three of the top coasters in the park. 

• Like 4

I don’t think a coaster is needed there, just because it has been a home of 2 coasters doesn’t mean it can’t change to something else. I think a lake with a new restaurant, with outside views of the lake, new trees and a new flat ride, or a 16 seat Ferris Wheel in Coney Mall would be perfect. The light package would look great, and having WindSeeker nearby with its is another win, it would also give another family ride for Winterfest! I know it’s a big area, but the park already has a lot of land that’s not used, and this would bring some of the old Rivertown feel back. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 4

Rivertown has a decent amount of room to work with for a “reimagined Rivertown.” For Kings Island to revamp Rivertown, they will likely need to pair the renovations with some rides to make the investment more marketable like with what Cedar Point and Carowinds are doing with The Boardwalk and Aeronautica Landing. Kings Island could really put in a lot if they decided to remove The Crypt building and expand that way.

I know The Vortex plot of land is near Rivertown, but I think that should remain a part of Coney Mall and be home to a new roller coaster in the future as that location is probably the most picturesque area in the entire park for a roller coaster. A restaurant would not be a good fit there in my opinion. However, I am open to cool and unique dining venues being built elsewhere in the park.

• Like 2

Using the story as a jumping off point: Entrance from International street to former Tomb Raider

New entrance experience where the old path to antique cars is. New rock work and waterfall fed by the town water tower. "Welcome to Kings Landing: is a ghost sign on the water tower with "RiverTown" in new lettering overlaid. Wafter flows from spout down to rocks. 

Restroom building is redressed with minimal theming (area appropriate signage)

The pizza building and arcade building are replaced with large, multi level "factory structure" with smokestack with a large K on it. The Kings (food) Design and Manufacturing is a food hall with LaRosa's, (dear GOD do we need this pizza in 14 locations, but whatever) Fried chicken, Country Style sandwiches, Burritos etc with large windows looking out onto Diamondback and out the back onto the new lake where Vortex.  was. Terraced outdoor seating and an indoor and outdoor small stage for live music add to the overall ambience. On the upper level, Club72 - the Prestige pass members lounge provides indoor and outdoor seating as well as a dedicated pay bar and complimentary snacks. 

Beast and TRTR become the "coal fired power plant" for the factory. Beast loading is reworked to use the drink stand as the "plant office" that the line moves through. Water feature is reintroduced to this area and ties into the new lake in the old Vortex location. Exit is rerouted back through the original exit path to free up FastLane entry. Coal mine car is reactivated as water feature or at least cleaned up to become more visible and labeled as "MineShaft 01" 

Slaughter house is given exterior upgrade as it is now key to the overall story of the area. It is better "shrouded" by landscaping. Possibly open on weekend nights or short runs during the summer as a "limited time haunt". 

TRTR is redressed as the coal processing facility - renamed "The Furnace" in reference to Phantom Theatre. The exterior of the metal building are given faux brick panels on the lower areas and themed rust with faux factory windows. The mine shat entrance is labeled "MineShaft02" (TRTR opening year) The existing queue is slightly redressed to be a coal mine. The first separator room (monkey room) is used for additional switchbacks. The reshow room becomes the coal loading (load area) room with the cars coming back empty from unload. A large crane overhead with a load bucket and giant furnace add kinetic energy to the area and take advantage of the height. The cars dispatch into an indoor wild mouse ride with minimal set pieces such as an ore crusher overhead on the lift hill and mirrors to reflect the car to give the ill-using of imminent crashes with oncoming mine cars. The The ride unloads in a newly added building on the backside of the main show building after passing through the furnace (tunnel with heat and light effects) . The exit would flow to the left toward the Beat/Slaughterhouse area instead of to the right toward the train. 

NEXT POST will discuss White Water canyon through the train

disney-springs_Full_26908.jpg

233ecb67-dc62-4ff1-82f4-e7704d6b2a3d-MJS_Garver_Feed_Mill_5.jpg

• Like 3

Here are the boundaries of the new area, for the lake, new restaurant and the new Ferris Wheel. A restaurant is already in the area, so it fits, it would be the same size it takes up now, only thing different is the tables outside where most of the new part of the building would be, that would be where you sit for views, and expand the front of the building some.

Screenshot (284).png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Imperial79 said:

Here are the boundaries of the new area, for the lake, new restaurant and the new Ferris Wheel. A restaurant is already in the area, so it fits, it would be the same size it takes up now, only thing different is the tables outside where most of the new part of the building would be, that would be where you sit for views, and expand the front of the building some.

Screenshot (284).png

I just feel that The Vortex plot of land can be used for something so much more than a restaurant. That plot of land is asking for a rollercoaster with its position along the midway. I am all for new restaurants, but I don’t want to see Vortex close and never really get replaced. A big building on that plot of land would make Kings Island feel smaller.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I just feel that The Vortex plot of land can be used for something so much more than a restaurant. That plot of land is asking for a rollercoaster with its position along the midway. I am all for new restaurants, but I don’t want to see Vortex close and never really get replaced. A big building on that plot of land would make Kings Island feel smaller.

who said there couldn't be a roller-coaster themed restaurant with a roller coaster that wraps around it? 

my kind of restaurant tbh

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Coasterteam said:

who said there couldn't be a roller-coaster themed restaurant with a roller coaster that wraps around it? 

my kind of restaurant tbh

That would be perfect!

And they could have a top deck to just watch the roller coaster run it’s course.

• Like 1

It would be cool if a new two-story restaurant was built where Rivertown Pizza is or next to it that overlooked a coaster on The Vortex plot of land. The midway between Coney Mall and Rivertown could benefit from widening as it can be a bottleneck. However, I don’t want to see a wider midway come at a loss of trees.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Coasterteam said:

Speaking of the old Crypt building 

What about a Vekoma Mad House themed to like rivertown monsters/some lore? 

That would be a fun dark ride and get a new flat ride in the park. 

I would hope in the feature we get a Action Zone re-theme Kind of how Jungle X-pedition is at Kings Dominion and what Carowinds is getting next year with a couple of flats, Banshee and The Bat Repaints, maybe take out Invertigo and Congo falls and add something from Zamperla or if Canada’s Wonderland new flat is high capacity something like that.

Maybe they could theme the area to something along the lines of a Haunted land to fit with Banshee, kinda like how Carowinds new area is themed around Afterburn and they spread it thought the area.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

It would be awesome if Rivertown also got a makeover like Jungle X-Pedition or Aeronautica Landing, but I would want the area to keep its theme and name which could potentially make it harder to advertise as an all-new area.

come discover the FASCINATION with Atlantic city...   ...oops, thats already taken...

White Water Canyon and the train:

White Water Canyon - Renamed “Kings River Rapids” to tie into the story. Signs at the entrance and along the path advertise Rivertown Adventure Tours, the new business that has set up shop along the river offering white water rapids tours.  In the wave pool area, a factory style tower labeled as “water pump 85” (opening year) is added to hide the wave machine. This ties into a sign pointing to the “Thomas Nathaniel Turner Explosives and Munitions Factory - 1.4 miles” (referencing Peters Cartridge) so the actual building would not need to be shown or built.  In the former pay geyser area, TNT crates and barrels line the shoreline and a few float in the water as new geysers “explode’ like dynamite around the boat, providing a much more dramatic finale. The overlook of this area also houses a new beer stand (relocated from the midway) to bring additional revenue and activation to this area. This bar stand/food location is themed to the check-in stand for the adventure tours. Additional minimal theming is added to the final lift area such as “Kings Landing Water Works” signs.

Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad - New narration tracks are recorded to play during the ride referencing the story and the landmarks as they are passed. The live spiel is eliminated for a more consistent message. The horse is moved - and additional horses added to the open area by the fort along with signage advertising “Kings Landing horseback riding” to tie into the outdoor outfitters storyline and get away from trying to make the “old town” section feel like a period recreation. The fort is referenced as a relic that existed long before the town of Kings Landing ever existed. The old town area is aged and overgrown. Frontier characters are removed. Narration in this section speaks to the fact that this is part of the original Kings Landing that “disappeared” that fateful day. Misters are added to create a eerie fog in the area. 

The food concession areas in the train area (funnel cakes, potato works) are given a slight cosmetic makeover. The out-of-theme giant SPRITE umbrellas are removed and replaced with smaller solid color shade structures on the funnel cake side. By the train depot, a larger covered seating area is constructed with different flooring to look like an old building. To allow for promotional opportunities, crates with Coke or Sprite logos and vintage bottles are stacked in the rafters and around the area. A small permanent stage area is added to this area to allow for local performers.

This ends the section “Old River Town” themed to the factory and mining associated with it rooted in the early 1900-1920s. Once the bridge over the (working) stream is passed, you are in the lumber mill section which is rooted in the 1940 - 1980s.

• Like 4

The Story Continues: 

25 Years later in the 1947 the lost town was rediscovered as a group of young entrepreneurs opened the Miami Valley Lumber company on land out past the old creek by the new highway. Around the lumber mill, activity returned to the once bustling town. The past was forgotten as new businesses began to pop up. A farmers market opened at the old D.B.Ryder farm. One creative showman even tried to capitalize on the old legend of the giant snake, and opened a roadside attraction there complete with a “snake museum and emporium” to catch tourists passing through on the new highway going to the campground just beyond. Once again, the area prospered for many years, but once again a mysterious tragedy struck. One morning in the early 1980s, the security guard’s truck was found crashed though the front gate to the lumber yard. No one could find him, and as the morning crew looked around the shop - his radio came to life broadcasting the tragic events of the night before as he issued a dire warning to stay out of the shed out back.

No one really knows why this RiverTown is cursed. Was it The Beast that was unleashed that day long ago? Was the legend of the giant snake true after all? Was the area angered each time people tried to earn a profit by exploiting it? Was their something truly evil lurking in the woods, or was it simply bad luck?

Today, RiverTown brims with life as developers have rediscovered the old industrial spaces and reclaimed them as creative food halls and entertainment venues. Urban explorers have rediscovered the old lumber mill and raging white waters, and are now offering adventure tours of the beautiful woods surrounding Kings Landing. Life has returned to this RiverTown, but if the legends are true… how long will it last?

From the bridge to the entrance by the Log Ride, the pavement is changed to look like a road with tan - earth look concrete on the sides. Landscaping in this area uses lots of grasses and wildflowers to look more like farmland. With the exception being around MysticTimbers where it is kept wooded

Brewhouse is converted into FarmStead Market. The interior is given a lightening up with a country-modern look. The menu switches to either a family style or buffet style, homestyle “farm to table” restaurant to. The bar is removed for additional seating and additional windows added to bring light into the space. That area is dressed as the old market with tables made from produce shipping crates and farmers market graphics. There are a few 1950’s era vintage cars parked out front to look like a vintage farmers market/ roadside diner.

The bar moves to a new, three sided “open air” barn that backs up to the existing restroom building. That building is redressed to be part of the barn with opening on both side still for the restrooms. The Gazebo and existing FreeStyle location are removed for this. The sides of this are roll up during the summer, but can roll down to look like windows during the cooler days. Additional seating is added where the Christmas tree lot goes TomChe stand is possibly removed for additional seating, or stays as small snack/beverage

Diamondback- No major changes. Thematically this becomes the D.B.Ryder Farm homestead that was converted into the Diamondback Snake - A- Rama and Museum in the 1950s. Graphics and posters are added in the queue telling the “Legend of the Diamondback - the giant snake the terrorized the woods of Kings Landing years ago. This area become like a “BigFoot roadside attraction” theme. The old farm house had been converted into the museum about the Legend of Diamondback, but is now a shop. The support buildings are redressed to look like barns and farm buildings. The ride is a “roadside attraction” that was built along with the Snake-a-Rama. The tacky shade structures are are made MORE tacky to look like used-car lot, tourist trap with pennants and a large banner or two advertising the "snake-a-rama" and emporium. This area is kitched up a bit to play up the absurdity of the giant rollercoaster in this area.

Mystic Timbers - no major changes - tv’s and the “modern security guard” story is dropped and this is supported by the backstory that in the 80’s the site was abandoned and we are hearing the old security tapes from way back then. Narration might need to be tweaked a bit to convey that. 

The Log Ride is stripped of the Charlie Brown theming and repainted to a rustic look. This becomes an extension of the Miami Valley Lumber Company. There is a giant rotating saw blade added above the trough at the top of the first lift hill. Possibly reduce fencing between the two rides to increase visibility and interaction. The arches previously used for the Wild Thornberry version of the ride are installed with rustic wood framing - log milling equipment or overhead "log lifters" etc to create more interaction. Possibly even rotating saw blades or things to add to the kinetic energy. Large faux chopped tree stumps fill the areas around the trough to convey a logging theme.

Linus Launchers is replaced by Zamperla Nubulaz dressed to look like giant spinning windmills. The area around it has spinning windmills - this marks the transition zone between RiverTown and a revamped Camp Snoopy (which according to the story - was built outside of the town years ago back in the 50s to provide a place for families to have fun together. The “road” in the pavement leads to this area so it is the main path of travel for guests. The barn theming of the restrooms continues to this area to look like a red barn in an Ohio field. 

• Like 3

On 8/25/2022 at 10:45 PM, rotag said:

rivertown imo needs more river themed rides. yes there's wwc, and the log flume don't count as that's claimed and technically in Planet Snoopy. while it would take away the haunt attraction. i would love to see the big brown box go away and something like kckc to come back to the area.

maybe transfering congo falls over to rivertown where the big brown box is, retheme it to like a giant waterfall. and that opens Action Zone for a potential new flat ride.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rotag said:

maybe transfering congo falls over to rivertown where the big brown box is, retheme it to like a giant waterfall. and that opens Action Zone for a potential new flat ride.

I can’t see with the age, large footprint and infrastructure needed they would simply move an existing ride (with not a huge popularity at that) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

I can’t see with the age, large footprint and infrastructure needed they would simply move an existing ride (with not a huge popularity at that) 

you have a point, but just saying that the ride theme wise would fit better over there than its current location. sure, once upon a time that wasnt true as amazon falls fit in with the safari theme of the area and then the later rename to congo falls cause of paramount. but lets face it, does a river drop ride really fit in with the Action Zone theme?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rotag said:

you have a point, but just saying that the ride theme wise would fit better over there than its current location. sure, once upon a time that wasnt true as amazon falls fit in with the safari theme of the area and then the later rename to congo falls cause of paramount. but lets face it, does a river drop ride really fit in with the Action Zone theme?

I look at it as not even having a “theme” at this point-more it’s just a shoot the chute boat ride. If I ever get around to the vision post for extension of Oktoberfest into axion zone, I think it would make sense to stay. I’m trying to keep this visioning focused on what the park would realistically do. Adding revenue generating food places and minimal “place making theming” yes… moving high overhead water rides that are getting late in their service life… not likely

1 hour ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

A lot of talking of the legend could be Evil or not. All the answers might tied in the former Crypt building. I think Mystic, Bat, Diamondback, Beast are Precursor made.

LOL The "SOURCE OF ALL EVIL" is the giant tan metal building. It HAS been the bane of the park for quite a while now!

• Like 1