Rivertown Redevelopment

brenthodge

On 8/26/2022 at 11:35 AM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Please no dive coaster. There are plenty of better coaster options than a dive coaster imo. If there were to be a dive coaster added, I hope it'd be a gerstlauer infinity and not a B&M. 

Well then substitute Dive Coaster for whatever your preferred choice is.  I tend to think KI will get a Dive Coaster either in Vortex's spot or where Invertigo stands today within the next 10 years.  Whatever that spot ends up being, redoing the restaurant so you can have views of the new ride while eating on the back deck would be pretty cool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, medford said:

Well then substitute Dive Coaster for whatever your preferred choice is.  I tend to think KI will get a Dive Coaster either in Vortex's spot or where Invertigo stands today within the next 10 years.  Whatever that spot ends up being, redoing the restaurant so you can have views of the new ride while eating on the back deck would be pretty cool.

I argue our park is too large for Gerstlauer. Unless they come up with a train to accommodate 28-32 passengers, which they’ve never done on an Infinity Coaster, I don’t see it happening. 

Love them or hate them, B&M has provided us with 3 reliable coasters and with their track being manufactured in the neighboring county, I don’t see them not returning. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I argue our park is too large for Gerstlauer. Unless they come up with a train to accommodate 28-32 passengers, which they’ve never done on an Infinity Coaster, I don’t see it happening. 

Love them or hate them, B&M has provided us with 3 reliable coasters and with their track being manufactured in the neighboring county, I don’t see them not returning. 

I don't think we are too big for a Gerstlauer. They can do at least 16 seats per train. This is more than BLSC and only one car less than Flight of Fear. Probably higher capacity than Invertigo as well. And honestly if Cedar Point thinks a wild mouse can handle their crowds than an Infinity coaster would be fine at Kings Island. It probably wouldn't be as quick of a line as the B&Ms but would still work.

That said, your points for B&M are very true and would not be surprised to see more from them. There are still wing, dive and flying coasters that would be different from what we currently have. And while enthusiasts might not all be hyped about a dive coaster, they are popular with the general public so could see one of them going in.

• Like 1

^^I disagree, Knotts has one and they're comparable to KI in size and attendance.  I'd take an Infinity Coaster in a heartbeat.  Slap one with 5-6 inversions with a good lighting package in Vortex's spot (that's actually my new preference for The Vortex spot over a RMC now). 

I for one want some variety, even at the cost of a little capacity.  Capacity isn't everything.  There are several coasters I'd like to see KI get that aren't on B&M levels of capacity. 

Heck, CP is getting a spinning wild mouse.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

If we were to get a B&M, it would be cool to see a new sit down launch coaster with the new over-the-shoulder lapbar restraints B&M recently patented. However, it would also be nice to see Kings Island branch out. A MACK Rides X-Treme Spinning Coaster would be absolutely mesmerizing to watch along The Vortex midway on top of the awesome ride experience. It would be a modern launch coaster with inversions, but it would still be different enough from Flight of Fear. It would also be a crowd pleaser for enthusiasts and the general public alike.

• Like 4

I feel like this thread has devolved into another “which coaster to stick in Vortex spot” thread, but… whatever. I’d love to hear ideas for RIVERTOWN and what you could see the park adding-changing given their basically stated objective of creating more “all ages and all senses” experiences going forward. I ve had two happenstance conversations with both Don Helbig and Mike Koontz out and about in the park this year - both times really stressing how much I appreciated the overall tone of the 50th and the choice to celebrate by celebrating with a  FULL experience over just impressive new ride stats. Both times they seemed super appreciative that the direction the park was going in was being noted and appreciated. I told Mike that I really liked that the focus was shifting away from just breaking records and he basically agreed that that is "not a sustainable model" but that if an addition makes sense in the overall positioning strategy of the park AND it breaks records or introduces new technology that is fine, but, the days of just going taller, faster or longer for the sake of just that are shifting.

^But people here are trying to shoehorn in Vortex's plot as Rivertown.  That's Coney Mall to me.  That spot is likely getting a coaster all things considered.

Also, there's no lake going there.  That's all a big hill going down towards and beyond Beast.  The amount of land work needed for a lake would be colossal.  

As for actual Rivertown, its a bit landlocked as is unless they finally decide to remove the big steel box, which, would open some land around Diamondback to use.  The area around DB's splash could be utilized as well for some flats/theming.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

I’d love to hear ideas for RIVERTOWN and what you could see the park adding-changing given their basically stated objective of creating more “all ages and all senses” experiences going forward.

Personally, I’d put a Congo Falls like ride in Rivertown-or if Congo Falls could be relocated that would be great too. Put it behind the Crypt building so the park can decide whether they want to keep the building or demolish it. If the Crype building isn’t going to be touched just yet, at least paint it Go-Away-Green so it blends in more with the trees. 

92067FB6-F392-4B63-8F5B-EA294738745A.jpeg

If the park does decide to put something in the building, I’d want an indoor drop ride to resemble a mine shaft. If they’re gonna tear it out, I’d still want the water ride to go where I have it next to The Beast and DB to allow for a new flat ride.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

I feel like this thread has devolved into another “which coaster to stick in Vortex spot” thread, but… whatever. I’d love to hear ideas for RIVERTOWN and what you could see the park adding-changing given their basically stated objective of creating more “all ages and all senses” experiences going forward. I ve had two happenstance conversations with both Don Helbig and Mike Koontz out and about in the park this year - both times really stressing how much I appreciated the overall tone of the 50th and the choice to celebrate by celebrating with a  FULL experience over just impressive new ride stats. Both times they seemed super appreciative that the direction the park was going in was being noted and appreciated. I told Mike that I really liked that the focus was shifting away from just breaking records and he basically agreed that that is "not a sustainable model" but that if an addition makes sense in the overall positioning strategy of the park AND it breaks records or introduces new technology that is fine, but, the days of just going taller, faster or longer for the sake of just that are shifting.

I agree in that I want Rivertown to see a complete revamp. However, I don’t know if The Vortex plot of land will be a part of a revitalized Rivertown. I think that will remain part of Coney Mall.

I agree with what you say about the 50th Anniversary Celebration, but stuff like that doesn’t last. I do want to see more park improvements going forward but more meaningful park improvements like area renovations. As good as the 50th Anniversary Celebration was, the only park improvements for 2022 were new paint jobs, landscaping, and the new Tower Gardens. These improvements are great, but I hope that future investments go way beyond superficial improvements like these, and areas are completely overhauled and reimagined.

As for the current state of Kings Island speculation and rumors, I feel like we are currently in a bit of a lull. This is the longest we have gone since Banshee without a new coaster being announced which admittedly isn’t that bad compared to other parks. Right now, we really don’t know what to expect from the park. There are signs that a new flat ride may replace SlingShot or that Phantom Theater will return but nothing major like the overhaul of an existing area which Kings Island desperately needs.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, silver2005 said:

^But people here are trying to shoehorn in Vortex's plot as Rivertown.  That's Coney Mall to me.  That spot is likely getting a coaster all things considered.

Also, there's no lake going there.  That's all a big hill going down towards and beyond Beast.  The amount of land work needed for a lake would be colossal.  

As for actual Rivertown, its a bit landlocked as is unless they finally decide to remove the big steel box, which, would open some land around Diamondback to use.  The area around DB's splash could be utilized as well for some flats/theming.  

That’s what I don’t get-why people keep trying to theme something there to Rivertown. The “factory food hall” idea from the story would still work even if it looked out onto a new coaster eventually that had its entrance in Coney. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I agree in that I want Rivertown to see a complete revamp. However, I don’t know if The Vortex plot of land will be a part of a revitalized Rivertown. I think that will remain part of Coney Mall.

I agree with what you say about the 50th Anniversary Celebration, but stuff like that doesn’t last. I do want to see more park improvements going forward but more meaningful park improvements like area renovations. As good as the 50th Anniversary Celebration was, the only park improvements for 2022 were new paint jobs, landscaping, and the new Tower Gardens. These improvements are great, but I hope that future investments go way beyond superficial improvements like these, and areas are completely overhauled and reimagined.

As for the current state of Kings Island speculation and rumors, I feel like we are currently in a bit of a lull. This is the longest we have gone since Banshee without a new coaster being announced which admittedly isn’t that bad compared to other parks. Right now, we really don’t know what to expect from the park. There are signs that a new flat ride may replace SlingShot or that Phantom Theater will return but nothing major like the overhaul of an existing area which Kings Island desperately needs.

My comments about the 50th weren’t meant to imply I didn’t think permanent capitol improvements weren’t needed, but more that the park seems to be looking  at projects wholisticly more nhan in the past when it was more single ride focused. I think that’s why we are seeing things take a bit longer in that they are looking at a more multi-faceted plan than just “what record breaking thing can we stick where Vortex was that will jazz up just the coaster enthusiast crowd. Sorry if that didn’t really come through, because yes, the park needs more than just shows and paint to drive long-term attendance gains while they increase pr cap spending (the one-two punch every park is lusting after). 

• Like 1

Personally, I think there are two kind of improvements:

1.) Improvements that come with new attractions:

When Banshee was built, you saw some surrounding upgrades with Flight Deck being rebranded and repainted The Bat, Delirium being repainted, a nice seating area taking the spot of the water tower, and a nice patio area outside the Feathaus. When Orion was built you saw a whole rework of the surrounding area with extra theming being added around Flight of Fear, a new dining area, space theming, and painted buildings. These type of improvements are always nice because you know an area will be spruced up when a new attraction comes in.

2.) Off year improvements (off year meaning no new thrill ride):

These are personally my favorite because they can happen at unexpected times if you’re a park goer. 2019 was my favorite year because it saw the return of the Antique Cars, the colored Beast trains, an upgraded International Street, a renovated glockenspiel, etc. 2022 was almost a continuation of 2019 with different upgrades to celebrate the park’s 50th like a freshly painted Drop Tower, new train theming, repainted Racer, repainted Eiffel Tower, repainted Flying Ace and so on. 

I personally hope that every off year we don’t get an attraction, the park should make improvements like what I mentioned. Diamondback should be hopefully getting repainted and I would love to see the Crypt building get painted to blend in more like what they did with the Killmart building. Stuff like that might not seem like a lot for some, but it really does go a long way and it shows guests that the park takes pride in what they do; it clearly shows with all the improvements made over the past few years.

• Like 3