2023 Offseason Speculation/Work

Coasterteam

Since we've reached (and passed) the end of daily operation for the 2022 season (excluding Winterfest) it's a good time to start looking towards the next operating season to think of what we might see change.

This thread is aimed at speculating what work we might see done in the off-season for the 2022-2023 season. Whether that be during the weekdays when the park is closed or after the final operating day for the season (Oct 30th). We already know that Cedar Fair has announced no major capital investments for Kings Island regarding the 2023 season so any work we see will likely be similar if not less compared to what we saw in the previous off-season. 

Some initial ideas that I'm throwing out there:

1. More Beast trackwork; GG might come to finish the rest of the helix with the goal of finishing the new structure (this may be in the next 5 years?)
It's obvious to see how much life GG sparked back into Beast with the work they did. I can very easily see Kings Island giving them the opportunity to come back to do more of it. Whether this happens is still up for debate, but I for one would love to see it happen.

2. Diamondback repaint maybe

3. Parking lot gets more work to repave another part or the rest of it
Seems like a no-brainer to me at least given most of the parking lot still gets pretty packed; as long as a lot of the potholes get filled/repaired 

What other things would you like to see happen or think might happen? Things you think won't happen for sure? (excluding obvious major capital investments of course)
Hopefully as the year progresses towards and into the 2023 off-season replies may include confirmed off-season work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would like to see The Racer get some more track work in its second half over the off-season. It would also be cool to see a reimagined front gate which would make sense considering that Kings Island will have to add a new Prestige gate wherever that may be. If they utilize the old passholder gate, Kings Island will probably do some work at least to it as it looks pretty bad now. It would also be a good opportunity to update the main gate as well.

Also, as for The Vortex plot of land, maybe the pumpkins would interfere with the survey markings that would need to happen. LOL!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Not to speculate but I find it interesting that Pumpkin Eater is relocating from the original location along the path between Rivertown and Coney Mall to Action Zone.

Could there maybe be plans for The Vortex plot that are beginning to take shape?

But also interesting is the supports for the overhead lighting has already been installed along that path, so there are doing something there for haunt or Winterfest 

• Like 3

Something I'm interested in speculating is where the Soak City VIP lounge will go. I have a couple ideas in mind, but the location I currently have my eyes on is the area behind the volleyball courts that is currently just a seating area. Maybe split the two volleyball courts and make one either a VIP area volleyball court or just a sandbox and have sand toys available for kids. 

Some other things I am wondering is if we'll see a new event next year. I'm hoping for a food/whine/brew/bbq festival in Rivertown in the spring like CP does with frontier festival or Carowinds did with state line celebration. Maybe call it "Tri-state Celebration" or something along those lines. Also am wondering if we'll get the Monster Jam Thunder Alley event next year as we are one of the last CF parks who hasn't gotten it yet. Valleyfair is getting it this year. Along with Carnivale, I'd like to see a summertime event similar to what Cedar Point and Knotts do with their summer nights thing which we actually were supposed to get in 2020 if Covid hadn't happened. Or you could pull a Busch Gardens and do a full out summer celebration kind of thing and make concerts a part of it. Speaking of concerts, I also wonder if we'll see the Timberwolf concerts return next year and if so, what the lineup will be. Will they just have a Christian night like this year or could we see the return of a 3 day Christian festival? We'll just have to wait and see. Even if we're not getting a ride, it's always fun to speculate on park improvements we could see. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Something I'm interested in speculating is where the Soak City VIP lounge will go. I have a couple ideas in mind, but the location I currently have my eyes on is the area behind the volleyball courts that is currently just a seating area. Maybe split the two volleyball courts and make one either a VIP area volleyball court or just a sandbox and have sand toys available for kids. 

Some other things I am wondering is if we'll see a new event next year. I'm hoping for a food/whine/brew/bbq festival in Rivertown in the spring like CP does with frontier festival or Carowinds did with state line celebration. Maybe call it "Tri-state Celebration" or something along those lines. Also am wondering if we'll get the Monster Jam Thunder Alley event next year as we are one of the last CF parks who hasn't gotten it yet. Valleyfair is getting it this year. Along with Carnivale, I'd like to see a summertime event similar to what Cedar Point and Knotts do with their summer nights thing which we actually were supposed to get in 2020 if Covid hadn't happened. Or you could pull a Busch Gardens and do a full out summer celebration kind of thing and make concerts a part of it. Speaking of concerts, I also wonder if we'll see the Timberwolf concerts return next year and if so, what the lineup will be. Will they just have a Christian night like this year or could we see the return of a 3 day Christian festival? We'll just have to wait and see. Even if we're not getting a ride, it's always fun to speculate on park improvements we could see. 

Depending on how much revenue the park expects the VIP areas to make it could be much more in your face. I have seen other water park chains make VIP areas right at the edge of the water along the entire wave pulls access points and all of that seating roped of. Basically charging to be close the the wave pool entrance.

On 8/27/2022 at 11:09 PM, SonofBaconator said:

Not to speculate but I find it interesting that Pumpkin Eater is relocating from the original location along the path between Rivertown and Coney Mall to Action Zone.

Could there maybe be plans for The Vortex plot that are beginning to take shape?

Wait....The pumpkin roller coaster is getting relocated? It's a kids ride and belongs in Planet Snoopy.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Some other things I am wondering is if we'll see a new event next year. I'm hoping for a food/whine/brew/bbq festival in Rivertown in the spring like CP does with frontier festival or Carowinds did with state line celebration. 

What would people whine about?  I could whine about the lack of ornate lamp fixtures on IS and the Junkyard Coaster.  @Benjamin22 could whine about no new ride for 2023.  @BoddaH1994 could whine about reading about Tower Gardens here vs in the local media.  I could go on an on... ;)  

*disclaimer...this post is satire.  No malice intended.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

What would people whine about?  I could whine about the lack of ornate lamp fixtures on IS and the Junkyard Coaster.  @Benjamin22 could whine about no new ride for 2023.  @BoddaH1994 could whine about reading about Tower Gardens here vs in the local media.  I could go on an on... ;)  

*disclaimer...this post is satire.  No malice intended.

You could whine about other people whining about other things. Can’t we all just get along??? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is more or less a "reasonable wish list with some extra spice"

• Finally finishing off the repaving of the parking lot, we got midway, now we just need to finish it off. 
  • Would absolutely love to see some new food options come in 23. I know Chef Major has done alot of work on our food options at the park, (He's honestly my favorite "big name" in the park, I'm sorry Don we still love you) but I would love to see some touch ups at some of the locations to see if there are new options that could come to the park. I E steak option like at Farmhouse in CP at Coney BBQ, maybe some form of rotating wings menu at the Chicken Shack, etc. 
  • I would love to see some new paint on a few attractions, most notably Diamondback. 
  • Rounding everything off I wanted to highlight one key thing I think Kings Island really needs: Restroom TLC. If not even every restroom in the park, at least some modifications and upgrades to make them more modern. 

With that being said, I don't need all of this, or really any of this to be happy. I'm honestly impressed with all of the work KI has done over the past year and wouldn't blame them for taking a year off of park modifications at this point. :D

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I E steak option like at Farmhouse in CP at Coney BBQ, maybe some form of rotating wings menu at the Chicken Shack, etc. 

Or how about prime rib like at KD's Outpost Cafe. Their prime rib look delicious and it is medium rare which is how I like it lol.

12 minutes ago, BB1 said:

• Rounding everything off I wanted to highlight one key thing I think Kings Island really needs: Restroom TLC. If not even every restroom in the park, at least some modifications and upgrades to make them more modern. 

Especially that mens restroom on I-street. One stall is unacceptable imo especially in the area with the most traffic. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Or how about prime rib like at KD's Outpost Cafe. Their prime rib look delicious and it is medium rare which is how I like it lol.

You know what, if I could give you a gold star award I would gladly give you one. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money currently but please accept this quickly acquired jpg of a gold star as a token of my appreciation and honest respect to a fellow foodie. 

Goldstar.jpeg

I 100% agree, there are plenty of options that we could get. I would LOVE to see it come one day but until then we just have to wait and salivate. 

Edited by BB1
Added some context to star, he deserves more.
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Coasterteam said:

Haven’t updated this thread in a while!

We’re gonna see some nicely repainted Bat trains in 2023 alongside Racer trackwork, Diamondback repaint, and Adventure Port! 

Super excited about this one....I was thinking The Bat was looking a bit rough this year and was afraid maybe the parks didn't want to invest any more $ into an old ride with a presumed limited life span. However, if they are repainting it means The Bat should be good at least for a few more years. Not sure when it will "reach the end of it service life" but it will be a very sad day indeed. Such a rare coaster type these days and someone needs to bite the bullet and preserve one for future generations. We've already lost Big Bad Wolf, Eagles Fortress, XLR-8, and the traditional trains on Vampire....so we're down to 4 Arrow Suspended Coasters (Bat, Iron Dragon, Vortex,& Ninja) 3 of which are in the Cedar Fair chain. 

Also great news about the Diamondback repaint! It looks REALLY faded so it's about time they did a repaint. Sounds like there might be a new color scheme.... can't wait to see what that looks like! 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Orion742 said:

My guess is they might change the support color to a color that doesn’t fade as much as the yellow did. I could be wrong though.

But the lighter colors shouldn't fade as quickly as a darker color....

Based on what is visible now, the supports look a little darker, but that is compared to the faded yellow so it could be close to the original.

• Like 2

While I understand the supposed optical draw of red (a color in and of itself I cannot stand), there HAS to be another color on the spectrum that has the same stand out properties without the ridiculous fade/oxidation prone properties that red does.  As "bland" as some think it may be, I would rather see white and silver like the Led Zeppelin coaster at the former Hard Rock Park.  I mean, Ive never personally seen a red.. or burgundy... snake in my life so they can certainly use something besides that color.

• Like 2

I'm excited to see a new color scheme as well.  Hopefully whatever they select fits the aesthetics of Rivertown better than the current color scheme does.

I am also very excited about Adventure Port and it is something the park has needed to do for years in terms of adding family flats.

I do think that there is a good chance that 2024 sees the next coaster added in Action Zone.  I know most are set on The Vortex plot but by '24 it will have been 10 years since anything was added to AZ.  We have seen the park improve areas close to the next coaster location before.

They moved the WWC entrance and built the new funnel cake building in '16 before adding Mystic.  They used part of the Dinos area for the Antiques in '19 before using a lot of the rest of it for Orion.  They are improving the gateway to Action Zone with Adventure Port.

Banshee needs a Valravn to Raptor 1-2 punch in Action Zone to keep people in that area of the park longer.  I'm not saying I want a dive but another big coaster (If it has to be a B&M either a floorless or wing would be preferred.) in that area will help disperse crowds better.

If I were to do a five year plan it would be:

2024: New coaster in rethemed Action Zone with Timberwolf (removed prior to '23 season) and an improved queue line for The Bat.

2025: Planet Snoopy becomes Camp Snoopy.  Boo Blasters becomes a new version of Phantom Theater.

2026: Soak City improvements.

2027: Family flats added near BLSC.  Reworked BLSC queue.

2028: New coaster on Vortex plot.

• Like 4