2023 Offseason Speculation/Work

Coasterteam

2 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

On the other hand, though, it appears that no progress has been made on Diamondback’s repaint since Winterfest. A few areas of the track had been repainted near the station in December, but that seems to be it. Maybe Baynum Solutions is focusing on other projects before getting back to Diamondback. 

I would say weather, but it's certainly been warm enough to paint recently. 

Maybe it's something they got planned for later in the off-season. Seems very odd for sure though.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

It looks like Red Racer’s retrack is coming along very nicely from the webcams. On the other hand, though, it appears that no progress has been made on Diamondback’s repaint since Winterfest. A few areas of the track had been repainted near the station in December, but that seems to be it. Maybe Baynum Solutions is focusing on other projects before getting back to Diamondback. 

Racer's repaint didn't start until the beginning of March last year so it's not out of the relm of possibility that they're focusing on other projects first. The downside is, we may see a later opening for DB or it'll be like Racer where they get sections painted as the season goes on. 

• Like 3

I'm going to assume that the work done in December was purely testing mixed with hype. The painted track was the track that was closest to the rivertown walkway during winterfest. I think that the project won't officially start until the end of this month or early march. I'm sure Baynum will make easy work of the ride once they are ready to go. Plus, this isn't The Racer where you have to paint every little piece of wood, I've painted a wooden porch before and it's PAINFUL. This being a solid piece of steel, it's likely easier to work with and to apply.

• Like 3

This is really shaping up to be another great season. I know maybe not the extent of the 50th season celebration, but still!

A entire new land (with two rides), Adventure Express enhancements, at least 1,000 feet of retracking, new paint job on Diamondback, the return of the nightly drone show. Most parks would love to receive at least two of these in a given season. While everyone loves a new coaster, KI is really making a strong well-rounded recovery by focusing on so many different aspects of the experience. Can't wait to see what else is in store!

• Like 6

On 2/15/2023 at 5:17 PM, Coasterteam said:

Really hoping they paint it :fingers_crossed: 

Excited to ride it! Curious if they'll do the north side next off-season?

I agree.  They spent funds last year to repaint 80 some percent of it and it looked the best it has looked for decades.   If they “Thunder Road” it and don’t repaint as they retrack, it will look like junk in a few years.

Racer 75 at KD suffers from that.  They rebuilt the top of the lifthill and it’s brown. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 8:07 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

It looks like Red Racer’s retrack is coming along very nicely from the webcams. On the other hand, though, it appears that no progress has been made on Diamondback’s repaint since Winterfest. A few areas of the track had been repainted near the station in December, but that seems to be it. Maybe Baynum Solutions is focusing on other projects before getting back to Diamondback. 

Ok, so I totally thought they were almost done painting Diamondback (as I keep seeing the "new" mushroom brown support color everywhere  - I get a great view of Diamondback when driving home from church)... guess not! My bad... :lol: 

-MDMC, poking fun at himself...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Very happy about all the GG TLC on Racer.

That photo shows a transition curve that I always thought was designed a little bit “off”. Like the train struggled a bit through and lost some speed. I wonder if Gravity Group redesigned it, or just retracked it. 

Either way, I hope that Racer makes it to 100. Halfway there.   :^)

• Like 6

I think the Adventure Port area addition was a great idea. Usually I would be over in that area of the park, to get some rides on Banshee or Delirium, and Adventure Express to say I got some credits. Also got some new, modern flat rides which is also a great idea. Just thinking, maybe this area, in the next 2 or 3 years, could get a coaster. I don't have a specific one, maybe a dive coaster. And some expansions into the old Son of Beast plot. Looking forward to this season. 

ki-2023-new-capital-medium-gallery-3.jpg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Orion742 said:

Wow! I didn’t realize how much this new color is going to fit in Rivertown! Great job KI! Can’t wait to see the finish!

Now if they would just do something with that horrible queue structure-either replace with a wood slatted pergola style, or build a facade of a building around it that is tall enough to hide the carnival tent shade structure I’d be happy. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

Now if they would just do something with that horrible queue structure-either replace with a wood slatted pergola style, or build a facade of a building around it that is tall enough to hide the carnival tent shade structure I’d be happy. 

Agreed. Seeing something that fits the theme of Rivertown, like a pergola or something, would be so much better than the shade structure that's there now. I never have liked those fabric ones.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Sorry double post.

Screenshot_20230223-163644.png

I am really liking the look so far, it complements everything in this photo very nicely, the fence and station all look really nice together. Overall, I think this new look will make the ride look more mature and less flashy. It doesn't have to be the flashy tall ride anymore since orion is here to fill that place. This allows the ride to take a step back which makes the rest of the area overall look better! I think this was the right call, can't wait to see it in person.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Taylor.B03 said:

It doesn't have to be the flashy tall ride anymore since orion is here to fill that place. This allows the ride to take a step back which makes the rest of the area overall look better!

I think you hit the nail on the head. When it was brand new, it needed to stand out with bright colors. Now that it’s nearly 15 years old, the new paint scheme certainly makes it seem more mature. With two brown coasters on either side of it, Diamondback’s paint scheme certainly helps it blend in more.

Look at us, making a thesis on the color palette of a roller coaster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Diamondback’s repaint looks amazing! I really like the new color scheme. I think Kings Island should pressure wash/clean Diamondback’s splashdown pond if possible. It has been looking a little dirty recently.

Or even paint it. Not shades of blue like the Royal Fountain, but a deep blue, aqua, or even black would be a nice change from the concrete, whose light gray shows the gunk easily.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Since we’re on the topic of Rivertown…How long do you think it’s going to be before we see some updates to the shed?

The shed needs all of its effects working again. A lot of the flickering lights either done flicker anymore or don’t swing. Also, the recording on the stairs leading to the station (the one that goes “there’s an old truck in the lumber mill… you’ve got to jump start it and get out of here… right now”) has not worked in over a year. Aside from Mystic Timbers, other broken theming elements need attention as well. I’m looking at you, Area 72.

• Like 5

I really hope the train shed is included in the Diamondback repaint, the new darker support color would make it blend in so much better and not so "in your face" when taking that path from the ET/floral clock junction.

The wood fences, like those around the pool's mechanical works, would also look better painted a darker color rather than the very light pine finish.

• Like 3