Lost Island closes early for the season

Lost Island, a brand new amusement park in Waterloo, Iowa, closed early Sunday citing low attendance: https://www.kwwl.com/news/top-stories/reflecting-on-challenges-lessons-learned-during-opening-season-of-lost-island-theme-park/article_c52bab5c-274b-11ed-8bf3-bbca74e3fd53.html

The comments about the article on the r/rollercoasters subreddit offer a lot more insights though:

• Sad 2

I think most people were just holding off on going to wait on Matugani to open. Once it was confirmed not to open many people likely just decided to hold off for the year. Let's be honest, would you travel all the way for a vekoma slc? It's a shame that they had to close early. I hope they can grow stronger next season, it's unheard of to have a brand new amusement park built so I am rooting for them!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Taylor.B03 said:

I think most people were just holding off on going to wait on Matugani to open. Once it was confirmed not to open many people likely just decided to hold off for the year. Let's be honest, would you travel all the way for a vekoma slc? It's a shame that they had to close early. I hope they can grow stronger next season, it's unheard of to have a brand new amusement park built so I am rooting for them!

I could see enthusiasts (which is a very small contingent of potential guests) holding off because of Matugani but I doubt the GP paid that much attention. Honestly, it sounds like they made a lot of mistakes including creating a brand new park in such a remote location. They bought a used SLC apparently without knowing about the model's terrible reputation and a used Intamin accelerator that was bound to have issues.

I hope things come together for them but we probably shouldn't be surprised if the park continues to struggle.

• Like 2