DarKoaster coming to Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Probably similar ride style to BLSC. Not too tall being indoors, and with launches instead of a lift with a family thrill level. Think this should be a fun coaster but am curious to see how much theming it will really have. From the way they talked in the announcements it seems like it will be mostly in the dark with some projections and lighting effects. Doesn't seem like there is a lot of room for many physical set pieces.

How much physical space would this take up?  Could something similar be done with the Big Brown building?  If not in full, then in parts where the coaster zooms in/out of the building or added buildings around it?  Seems like the existing building would be way to small, but have it zip in and out while using the surrounding trees in the back and you could have one heck of a solid family style ride and make use of the awesome que area.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, medford said:

How much physical space would this take up?  Could something similar be done with the Big Brown building?  If not in full, then in parts where the coaster zooms in/out of the building or added buildings around it?  Seems like the existing building would be way to small, but have it zip in and out while using the surrounding trees in the back and you could have one heck of a solid family style ride and make use of the awesome que area.

The TRTR building is roughly one quarter of the size needed for even a ride this small.  The building really only has height going for it, the only type of coaster that would fit inside the building is a kiddy coaster, like the great pumpkin coaster, which even then I believe might need to go diagonally to fit.

Thanks, that was my suspicion.  I'd say using that building plus the woods behind it could lead to a pretty cool family multi launch coast.  Que thru the existing area which remains awesome, embarque on the ride vehicle, launch from inside of the building out into the woods and around, back into the building with some twists and turns, back into the woods and one more time back into the building to get off the ride.  The height of the building could be beneficial in that circumstance as it would give more room to operate up high in the building with some slight dives to add to that feature.

I think the coaster itself will be very similar to Wave Breaker at SWT (just with a snowmobile theme instead of a jet ski one). I do think that being indoors with (hopefully) good theming will do a lot for the experience. Wave Breaker is just ok and really doesn’t do much to visually integrate it or interact with the lake around it.

I think the big box could be a great themed family coaster [ i pick dark ride] mix it with bush announcement n add story telling like dolly on the Coaster [ her new one]. Kings Island with their almost all season operation can be Knotts of the east. 

I still think it coukd be so cool to have the Seasons of Snoopy Easter beagle to boo season n Christmas Collaborate with knotts Sallie dark rides n pay tribute to Ki storied past present n future. Immersive. 

Bushs announcement is a great one. 

On 9/7/2022 at 12:33 PM, medford said:

Thanks, that was my suspicion.  I'd say using that building plus the woods behind it could lead to a pretty cool family multi launch coast.  Que thru the existing area which remains awesome, embarque on the ride vehicle, launch from inside of the building out into the woods and around, back into the building with some twists and turns, back into the woods and one more time back into the building to get off the ride.  The height of the building could be beneficial in that circumstance as it would give more room to operate up high in the building with some slight dives to add to that feature.

The only way I see the building being used would be with a Gerstlauer eurofighter like Mystery Mine at Dollywood. A majority of the caster would be outside the building with just a themed lift or two and small section at the start or end inside with the station. Basically just be room for a turnaround inside to a themed lift and probably be space to do a second themed lift and part of a drop next to it. Any other coaster model wouldn't fit, even dipping in and out as a turn would hardly fit inside. As this would make the building stay for just a couple seconds of interior, I'd rather see it torn down to add a flat and just utilize the themed queue left. Mine shaft queue leading to a Screamin' Swing where the large building once stood is my top choice for that spot.

• Like 3

solid reasoning.  At any rate, I suspect were are many years away from that building being torn down for a large coaster.  I think it will either sit idle for awhile, or they will find a way to repurpose some sort of flat.  Honestly, the que itself is reason enough to keep that portion of the building intact

• Like 3

On 9/14/2022 at 12:17 PM, medford said:

solid reasoning.  At any rate, I suspect were are many years away from that building being torn down for a large coaster.  I think it will either sit idle for awhile, or they will find a way to repurpose some sort of flat.  Honestly, the que itself is reason enough to keep that portion of the building intact

True, the ride box itself really has nothing worth saving. It’s pretty much just the first 3 sections. It looks like each segment of the building had separate HVAC runs and could probably be fairly easily further separated if they wanted to demo the largest building. It really only has height in its favor as someone else mentioned and unless it was a ride similar to the topspin with a tall arc path, I don’t see much use for it. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...