watercosters and Cedar Fair

terry wass

Cedar Fair has a really good working relationship with WhiteWater West currently. WhiteWater West is known for their body slide/tube slide complexes and CF has had great success with the combo deal and from what I understand the new go to is kiddie complexes for the waterparks that desperately need new kids areas. As a trend based off of the past few years, CF buys in bulk and spreads it out to the rest of the chain. KI is definitely due and unfortunately I believe our beloved pirate ship or the old Koala Splash (I forget the name it is now unfortunately as I haven't ridden the slide since back then) will be replaced with a set. I could definitely see us getting a water coaster eventually, but I expect an airtime machine similar to Wildebeest rather than something like a SAUCER for the sake of placement in the back of the park. 

• Like 1

A little off topic, but I didn't know WhiteWater West does the playground stuff (ie Forbidden Frontier). Their interactive playsets look really cool. Maybe put it in Snoopy where the Peanuts Gallery formerly theater is.

https://www.whitewaterwest.com/en/products/play/adventure-play/

image.png

EDIT: Ik we already have a water playground, but these large scale complexes look amazing and are for all ages. Ik KD got one of these that has multiple large buckets. The one in the photo I'm sharing from Mt Olympus has a thrilling looking waterslide attached to it:

image.png

https://www.whitewaterwest.com/en/products/play/multi-level-play-structures/fusionfortress/

They could keep the current water playground and add one of these behind the wavepools toward the parking lot in the big empty grass area. Make this one for everyone and have the smaller one be for kids only.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tks944 said:

Does anyone know what the reason is for the big open disk areas on the turns of newer water coasters? Like the one in video above? And some turns have them and some do not. For example Cheetah Chase at HW?

So that's a part of the PROSlide FlyingSAUCER water coasters, the design is to create a fast paced turn that gives a similar thrill to a bowl slide. It is 100% an element choice by the park, and honestly I've enjoyed every one that I have been on YTD. It is more akin to having inversions or having airtime on certain coasters, water coasters have differing elements to deliver to. Note though that WhiteWater West currently does not have a product like the FlyingSAUCER.

https://www.proslide.com/rides/categories/flying-saucers/

18 minutes ago, BB1 said:

So that's a part of the PROSlide FlyingSAUCER water coasters, the design is to create a fast paced turn that gives a similar thrill to a bowl slide. It is 100% an element choice by the park, and honestly I've enjoyed every one that I have been on YTD. It is more akin to having inversions or having airtime on certain coasters, water coasters have differing elements to deliver to. Note though that WhiteWater West currently does not have a product like the FlyingSAUCER.

https://www.proslide.com/rides/categories/flying-saucers/

I just dont see the point of the disk. The rafts never leave the outside of the turn. Seems like extra material and a waste. Maybe its for strength? Maybe just for the experience of going around the disk makes you feel like you are going faster? Just a odd design to me. 

• Like 1

^While the saucer could have equal or more strength not being a saucer the visual appeal wouldn't be as nice.  One ride benefit to the saucer is that it changes the envelope clearance.  You could do the same maneuver with an open top tube or an enclosed one but adding the additional space to one side allows you to flatten what would otherwise be the tube.  Even though in normal conditions you'd be well on the outside wall of the turn you can't cut away that portion of the tube you're not normally riding on,  with the saucer you can cut that back.  Granted it doesn't really need to be a full saucer shape,  but it looks cooler that way.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2022 at 4:48 PM, tks944 said:

I just dont see the point of the disk. The rafts never leave the outside of the turn. Seems like extra material and a waste. Maybe its for strength? Maybe just for the experience of going around the disk makes you feel like you are going faster? Just a odd design to me. 

It just looks cool for a great portion of the populous. I have been to several waterparks in the past year alone with some saucers being mixed in and it truly changes the aesthetic of the whole park. Also have you even ridden one yet? It s a lot of FUN and feels like you're bobsledding, definitely not a waste in my book.